Options

Tongue storage under $100 w/ pictures

DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
edited March 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
I purchased a UTV Cargo rack from Harbor Freight $49. Two cargo totes from Walmart $19 ea. I modified the racks to fit the trailer tongue with a little cutting and welding then bolted racks to the frame. Pictures show end results.
  1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I like how you are thinking Dale. Any concern that the bolts can weaken the integrity of the tongue frame? The M416 and Dinoot trailer folks use those HF racks all of the time and you can generally find a 20% off one item coupon.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Actually the tongue rails are stronger. The rack mounting Is 1 1/2" x 1/6" x 24" steel with the same bolted on the inside. That's a lot of reinforcement.
    I did get the 20%off if I had bought it yesterday I would have got 25% off.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Thanks, Dale. I really like this idea. I have 2 Rubbermaid containers I carry that are not heavy, but take up space and these would be perfect solutions for me. It would be sort of cool to have someone fab up the same type of over the rails mount that the new T@b Outback rack has.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    jkjenn said:
     It would be sort of cool to have someone fab up the same type of over the rails mount that the new T@b Outback rack has.

http://teardropshop.com/collections/t-b-parts/products/t-b-aluminum-platform     $395

Little Guy already has it, Jenn.  It says it fits on Little Guy T@B's 2011 and newer.  It says it gives more room on each side of your tub. It doesn't say it has to be under the diamond plate aluminum tub, although it does show it under the diamond plate tub.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Looks nice, just be careful when you back up, not to jack- knife too far. Things could get ugly.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I can jack knife over 90• without issue with our Jeep GC. Little Guy TABs have very long tongues for such a short trailer.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    Any concerns about overloading tongue...?
    My T@B maxx s is setup as I understand with about 10 percent of its weight on tongue which is what is recommended... Not much wiggle room...
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Deltaboy59
    Weight has not been an issue with the trailer. I do consider that when storing items in the totes. Up to a point tongue weight has more to do with tow vehicle and hitch rating. The generator adds most of the weight to the tongue and there have been know adverse problems. My tongue weight is around 250 - 275 still with in the 10% to 15% ratio.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the propane tank filled and battery are included in stated tongue weight of 155 pounds on the T@B ? If not, then that added weight is right at max tongue weight... Right ? My tongue weight of 155 on a 1670 pound trailer gives me around 95 pounds to play with to stay within recommended range, but if you add propane and battery then we are talking about 45 -50 pounds of extra weight... Any info ? 
    I like your mods... 

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2015
    Delta, it's a variable thing, because you adjust the tongue weight with shifting the load in the Tab forward of the axle or to the rear of the axle. 

I often adjust things differently depending on if the three tanks, black, gray, and fresh, are full or empty.

I've actually weighed the tongue with a bathroom scale, so I'd get a feel for what 200 pounds feels like when using my back (using your back is not necessarily recommended)...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sounds reasonable...I always tow with an empty T@B since I'm pulling with a 4 cylinder...so that limits me from adjusting load weight. I fill my tanks etc when I arrive at my destination. I pack my CRV staying well under GVWR...keeps me from carrying too much stuff...as it is now... I barely know the T@B is behind me. I keep spare under seat behind axle to keep tongue weight right at 175...with propane tank full. Always looking for ways to add efficient storage and your additions might work for me. Thanks.