Options

2021 400 BD under bed storage mod to pull out drawer?

I’m wondering if anyone has done a mod on the storage area under the bed on the 400 whereby you cut a hole in the front and build a pull out drawer for easier access? What would be the possible issues? It seems the Alde heat vent is at the bottom, which would have to be considered. Would having a drawer cause any other issues?
2021 T@B 400 Boondock • Acura MDX
PacNW

Comments

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @Pjknoble
    I recall at least one forum post of a member's mod with a drawer added for the underbed storage.
    I always thought that was a great upgrade!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Here is one mod that uses a plastic tote and an access door...not the one I remember, but not a bad solution either...and easier to construct than a drawer.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/103089#Comment_103089
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited May 2021
    Yes, that was on a 2019 TaB 400, which has a false floor under the bed storage compartment for the plumbing and wiring to go across from the drivers’s side to the galley/pax side.  On the 2020 model the Air8 AC is under the bed.  

On a 2021 TaB400 you have an enclosed utility chase across the front side for the wires and plumbing to go across.  You would need to add a false floor, and re-route the wires and plumbing under the false floor.  This would be a major mod, requiring re-plumbing the lines and adding more wire to get the slack to shift them down.

Here is a photo of the 2021 under bed compartment:

You can see the utility chase in the front of the compartment which would prevent putting a drawer in the front.
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    PjknoblePjknoble Member Posts: 14
    @Denny16 Ah!  I never paid attention to that when I opened up the compartment. Right.  That is not something I want to do. I’ll just use a piece of wood to hold it up when I need to get in and put things in there that I rarely need.  Thanks for pointing that out!
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock • Acura MDX
    PacNW
  • Options
    You do not have the air lift unit?  I use a wood bit to hold ours up, works fine, and when not in use, I use it to hold the lid up a small bit, by placing the stick on its side, to get more air circulation in the compartment, as we have the false floor.
    cheers
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    You do not have the air lift unit?  I use a wood bit to hold ours up, works fine, and when not in use, I use it to hold the lid up a small bit, by placing the stick on its side, to get more air circulation in the compartment, as we have the false floor.
    cheers
    The strut isn't strong enough to support my compartment lid with a bed topper in place on my 2021 400...So a stick it is for me as well.
    @Pjknoble
    I hadn't noticed the utility chase at the front of the underbed storage either. Good to know it's there, as it takes away my guilty feelings about not modding a drawer there!!
  • Options
    Yes, a good one Chris, thanks for the info on the strut.  I was thinking of adding one to our 2018 TaB400, which doesn’t have the strut.  But we also have the topper, so I guess I’m back to the stick.
    cheers
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    I took out the strut - pretty useless since it can't hold up the bedding as @ChrisFix mentioned, and it takes up precious space!
  • Options
    TomCanada said:
    I took out the strut - pretty useless since it can't hold up the bedding as @ChrisFix mentioned, and it takes up precious space!
    Yup...I did the same thing!
  • Options
    rrcbovrrcbov Member Posts: 109
    For what kind of stuff have you found this space useful? 
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock, 2021 Toyota Tacoma, Juno Beach Florida
  • Options
    We have a couple of plastic tubs thst fit, one has canned goods, the other bulky food stuff.   Some use it for extra bedding, sleeping bags, and other bulky or  not frequently needed items.
    cheers