Options

AC Fan (?) Cycles Constantly

I took delivery of a new Tab 400 BD earlier this week.  My AC cycles constantly - it will run for less than a minute, shut off of just a second or so and then repeat.   I think it’s the fan as I hear constant humming even while the fan isn’t running.

I sent a note to NuCamp on this but it’s Saturday so I thought I’d try the knowledge base here.
2021 Tab 400 Boondock, 2021 Toyota Tacoma, Juno Beach Florida

Comments

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @rrcbov
    My June 2020 delivery 2021 T@B 400 does exactly the same thing. I haven't decided if this is normal operation or if something is off. 
    I used to run it with the Fan setting on "Low" or "High", which keeps the fan running 24/7. It wasn't until the last couple of months that I set it to "Auto", and have observed the same phenomenon as you. The camper stays cool, and seems to quickly get to it's set point, so I haven't given it too much thought as of yet, but as I'm coming up on my 1 year warranty, I do want to make sure there isn't a problem.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Try making sure the dinette area AC vent it turned away from the door, where the thermostat is.  This fixed the short cycle issue for us.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    edited May 2021
    Edited to clarify...
    Our 2021 400 runs constantly until it hits temp, then cycles frequently to maintain temp. We too run the fan all the time to mask the frequent compressor starts/stops. Vents are not pointed toward t-stat.
    Following to see if this is a problem needing fixing but figured it is just due to the big AC cooling such a tiny space, it doesn't need to work more than a few minutes at a time to maintain the set temperature once it reaches it. 
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    rrcbovrrcbov Member Posts: 109
    Sounds like I’m not alone. My dinette vents have been directed downward.

I will post the reply I get from NuCamp.   I also posed the same question to Dometic. 
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    edited May 2021
    @rrcbov and @ChrisFix are your fans turning on and off before hitting set point? If so that sounds like a different problem from mine. 
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    I’m finding that I need to run my ceiling fan to exhaust hot air - there is a 25 degree temperature difference between the floor and ceiling of the camper here in the mid-day South Florida direct sunlight.   

The location of the thermostat doesn’t seem to be optimal.  I’ll have to search for ideas on this project.
  • Options
    rhyno said:
    @rrcbov and @ChrisFix are your fans turning on and off before hitting set point? If so that sounds like a different problem from mine. 
    I think both, but I haven't paid close enough attention to it. I will next week when I'm spending a week in south Florida. 
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    Here’s what Dometic says

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited May 2021
    Yes, I remember reading something about this before.  I have high frequency hearing loss, so the fan cycling does not bother me, but I can hear the compressor come on when it starts up.  We normally turn the CoolCat off at night when sleeping.  I do not hear the Alde running either, so we leave it in at night when it is cool out.  Thanks for posting this.
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @rrcbov
    Thanks for posting that. It exactly describes how my unit is working...which is great, since it means all is well!!