Options

Drop leaf wooden table for the T@B 400 BD

PjknoblePjknoble Member Posts: 14
edited May 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
I saw a getleman had posted a beautiful butcher block drop leaf table  for the T@B 400 that he had made last year. To have it made and shipped to me was a little cost prohibitive, but I decided to make one myself.
I bought the glue-lammed wood at a specialty place near me and the hardware from Nucamp.  I just finished it yesterday and put it in the Wander Inn today. It is perfect!  I love that I can now sit in the “sofa mode” without the little table end getting in the way or me being worried I’d knock something off that might be sitting there. The dogs also had a harder time jumping up with that sticking out. 
I’m debating having the dealer attach the extra bars for hooking the table to the wall on the outside so I can use the original table outside.

2021 T@B 400 Boondock • Acura MDX
PacNW

Comments

• Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    Pjknoble, can you be more specific about the table top - type of wood, source etc. It looks wonderful.
    Richard
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    SydmargoSydmargo Member Posts: 26
    Very Interested Need more information.
    Any other ideas. My table is a struggle to lower and the wall clips
    make a clicking sound when I move on Bed.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited February 2022
    Syd, what year is your TaB400?  The older TaBs had a heavy table made from two 3/4” plywood bits glued together to make a 1.5” thick top.  Whilst very solid, it is heavy and awkward to move up and down.  In 2020, nüCamp changed the table to a very light, but rigid composite table (no wood), which is easy to move up and down.  We got this new table for our older TaB, and it is easy to get in place and latched correctly.  You can order the table from nüCamp via a dealer, cost was around $100, a little less or more…. 

If you are hearing clicking sounds whilst sleeping on the dinette in bed mode, the table latches are not locked in place.  You need to insure the latches are locked properly.  Then you shouldn’t hear any clicking.  Another option to make up the bunk, is to use wood slats to bridge the gap, instead of the table, and store the table on the floor under the bunk.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    SydmargoSydmargo Member Posts: 26
    I ordered replacement clips. One does not seem to stay closed.
    The table is too much of a struggle due to the weight.
    I am trying to find where I can buy new table with drop down as shown in this post.
    It would make sitting in this area so much easier.
    I have tickets for uCamp22 hope to get more info there.
  • Options
    PjknoblePjknoble Member Posts: 14
    @RCB I went to my local (Seattle) specialty wood place and found a leftover piece the right size. I believe mine was zebra wood.  I used the original table as a template and drew on butcher paper.  I used the angle of the center cushion to create the correct angle on the table and cut the location to “drop”. I also bought the extra table hardware from Nucamp. Then I just cut the wood with my jigsaw and circular saws, sanded, finished, attached hardware and was good to go.  Just fyi that it is quite a bit heavier than the original table. But I do love the flexibility of being able to put it up and down. I am not a pro wood worker, but like to make things for less than I can buy things for. (^_^) I am sure that any intermediate wood worker could do the same very easily. 
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock • Acura MDX
    PacNW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited February 2022
    Yes, the drop leaf type tables shown here are all owner built from various commercially available laminated wood from home improvement centers.  No one that I am aware of makes one you can buy “ready to use” in the TaB.
    If you feel you can not make one, locate a cabinet shop in your area that might make one for you. 

The only ready made table, is the new light weight (around 5lbs) table nüCamp is currently using in the 2021/2022 TaB 400s.  This table is slightly smaller than the one in the 2018/2019 TaB, and much lighter.  A 3/4” piece of plywood is going to be heavier.  A top made from pine might be about the same weight as the new table.
    Cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.