Options

Slim pickings locally but looking for AGM recommendations

Due to the shortage of batteries r/t pandemic, my local battery place has nothing in stock. I've read several threads here about AGMs and with my miniscule to zero understanding again about this mechanical aspects of camping, I'm overwhelmed. There are so many numbers and letters and other Greek writing in all of the choices, I have no freaking idea what it means. I believe thus far that I need a 100amp hour AGM. Can't afford lithium. I dry camp often. Will be first time going out to work remotely using my 1-2 laptops, phone, and would be nice to have two days use of those items. I have factory solar on my 2020 tab boondock, with Victron. I can't afford more that 300.00 for this item. Needing recommendations for brands if possible, and/or other bits of knowledge. Thank you again for your patience and help for this newbie solo wanderer. 
2020 Tab 320S BE "Moonbeam"
2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @jules2go, I’ve been assisting another camper with a battery, also. Given her choices and budget, she has purchased a deep cycle 100 aH battery. I do recommend an AGM 100 aH battery, but you should get 5+ years (6+ on the AGM) on either battery. Don’t go into debt if you can afford the deep cell and not the AGM. It will work. 

My personal preference is an Interstate battery from an Interstate dealer. It will cost a bit more than at Costco, but you will get 15+ more aH from the battery from the dealer.  Does that matter?  Yes, because if you get a 100 aH battery, you only have 50 aH to power your lights, water pump, Alde heat and water heater, etc. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 258
    I recently purchased the VMAX AGM batteries.  I wanted even more capacity, so I purchased 2, 6V batteries.  So far they seem to work great.  I noticed Amazon has a VMAX 12V, 125 AH AGM for about $289.  I actually bought mine off of Ebay and got a much better price than Amazon.
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 927
    Batteries Plus sells Duracell AGM batteries at reasonable prices and have hundreds of locations.  About $200 - $250 for ~100AH depending on model & size group.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @jules2go - if you have someone install it, keep in mind that the footprint will be different than the stock battery.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    jules2go said:
    I believe thus far that I need a 100amp hour AGM. Can't afford lithium.
    We have a 100Amp Hour AGM from Renogy, purchased through Amazon. I just checked, it is cuurrently on sale for 187.27 (I paid about $210).

Amazon.com: Renogy Deep Cycle AGM Battery 12 Volt 100Ah for RV, Solar Marine and Off-grid Applications, Gray: Automotive

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    jules2gojules2go Member Posts: 164
    Thank you everyone, this is so helpful. 
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • Options
    Verna said:
     but you will get 15+ more aH from the battery from the dealer.  Does that matter?  Yes, because if you get a 100 aH battery, you only have 50 aH to power your lights, water pump, Alde heat and water heater, etc. 
    Verna, I don't understand how I would get 15+ more ah from a battery from a dealer with the Interstate brand. Thank you for your thoughts on this topic. 
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    My next battery will be a 100 AH AGM.  Plenty of good thoughts in the thread.  Before you buy:  you need to work out how the battery will fit into the space where your battery is now. The only way to get more amp hours into a "normal" battery...is to make it bigger.  (That is what all the "Group" sizes are all about.)  So, in my trailer, I currently have a "Group 24" battery....and I need to make sure the new AGM will fit.  I need a bigger battery box, and you might, also. I think the newer Tabs have larger propane tubs, so this might be an easy fit.  The good news is these figures are in basic inches, no sliderule required.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    My next battery will be a 100 AH AGM.  Plenty of good thoughts in the thread.  Before you buy:  you need to work out how the battery will fit into the space where your battery is now. The only way to get more amp hours into a "normal" battery...is to make it bigger.  (That is what all the "Group" sizes are all about.)  So, in my trailer, I currently have a "Group 24" battery....and I need to make sure the new AGM will fit.  I need a bigger battery box, and you might, also. I think the newer Tabs have larger propane tubs, so this might be an easy fit.  The good news is these figures are in basic inches, no sliderule required.
    Thank you. Where do I get these battery boxes? I'm guessing tools are going to be needed in this process... I think my current battery is group 24 size if I recall correctly. I called one of the local battery stores and was asked what kind of battery I have currently because they want to take the old one from me, to recycle it or something he said. Is there any reason I should keep the old one?
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • Options
    The problem I have with the old one, which I didn't mention in op, is that it's drained. I didn't realized it had to be "watered" and taken inside during winter. I was camping in below freezing temps last month and the propane wasn't able to operate adequately with the weak battery. I topped it off with distilled water, and maybe it's still halfway working, but I don't know that I need to hold onto it. Is there any reason you think I should keep it? Is it good for anything else like charging electronics? I have no idea, just wondering! 
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    jules2go said:
    Verna said:
     but you will get 15+ more aH from the battery from the dealer.  Does that matter?  Yes, because if you get a 100 aH battery, you only have 50 aH to power your lights, water pump, Alde heat and water heater, etc. 
    Verna, I don't understand how I would get 15+ more ah from a battery from a dealer with the Interstate brand. Thank you for your thoughts on this topic. 
    @jules2go, the Interstate batteries were manufactured for Costco by Interstate, with fewer amp hours (aH) than the ones sold in Interstate stores. Costco charged less and the customer received less. (This was a few years ago, and I’m not a Costco member so I don’t know if the batteries today still have fewer aH at Costco.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:

@jules2go, the Interstate batteries were manufactured for Costco by Interstate, with fewer amp hours (aH) than the ones sold in Interstate stores. Costco charged less and the customer received less. (This was a few years ago, and I’m not a Costco member so I don’t know if the batteries today still have fewer aH at Costco.)
    Oh OK, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. 
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • Options
    @jules2go Yes, you most likely have a Group 24 in your tub now. The larger 100ah batteries get a little flaky on the standard group sizes.  The Renogy posted above is "close" to a Group 31.  So, just search for a Group 31 or Group 27 battery box.  There are even "adjustable" boxes.
    Here are a bunch on Amazon.

2017 Outback
  • Options
    @jules2go Yes, you most likely have a Group 24 in your tub now. The larger 100ah batteries get a little flaky on the standard group sizes.  The Renogy posted above is "close" to a Group 31.  So, just search for a Group 31 or Group 27 battery box.  There are even "adjustable" boxes.
    Here are a bunch on Amazon.

Thank you! Getting this whole thing installed is going to be a major undertaking for me, but I'll learn from it.
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Quick web search RV battery lesson brought to you by Mark Polk is pretty helpful. Posting for anyone who knows next to nothing about batteries as well: 

https://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2016/10/05/how-much-water-should-i-add-to-my-rv-batterys/

2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    I, just replaced my orig. group 24 battery  with a Duracell AGM 105 amp hr from Batteriesplus   got a group 31 batt. box from local interstate distr.  he only had 1 left..   $16.00   battery $224 with veteran disc..  good hunting guys..
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    @manny
    Thank you. I need to find out where the local Interstate place is. 
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I called the local Interstate distributor and here is what they have -- it's a dual purpose, I'm not sure if that is what the Tab would use. What do you think? They're holding it for me. Is dual purpose not what I want? It's a little pricey, maybe because it's dual purpose, I don't know. 

Group Size 31DP

36 Months Warranty

925 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)

200 Reserve Capacity (RC)@25 Amps

Long life between charges and fast to recharge

Vibration resistant

Suggested Retail Price (in USD)
    $354.95
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @jules2go - the reserve capacity of 200 is only about 85 Ah at the 20 hr discharge rate.  When you are looking for a deep cycle battery, you want to identify the 20 hr rate capacity.  I avoid Interstate.  They will not report what has become the standard measurement for deep cycle batteries ie Ah at 20 hrs.  

I would go for the Duracell or Renogy.  Maybe even Vmax.  Just remember, you can’t tow the TaB with a dead battery.  You need it for the break-away brakes.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 927
    jules2go said:
    I called the local Interstate distributor and here is what they have -- it's a dual purpose, I'm not sure if that is what the Tab would use. What do you think? They're holding it for me. Is dual purpose not what I want? It's a little pricey, maybe because it's dual purpose, I don't know. 

Group Size 31DP

36 Months Warranty

925 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)

200 Reserve Capacity (RC)@25 Amps

Long life between charges and fast to recharge

Vibration resistant

Suggested Retail Price (in USD)
    $354.95
    Seems pricey for the rating.  If you make room for a group 31, check this out...
    https://www.batteriesplus.com/product-details/marine_rv/battery/duracell-ultra/sli31dtmagmdc

• Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    @pthomas745 so if I get different group than 24 I will have to make a different size tray correct?
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I have a 2017 and it sure seems to me that I can fit a 27 in my tub with no issues.  (I have not measured this out, however.)  The other thing about an AGM battery.....it can be used in any position except upside down. So, it doesn't necessarily have to spread sideways across the box.  Standing it up may require beefing up the bottom of the tub a bit. 
    PS:  I have the Outback tub, which is different than the other Tabs from those years, so this might be a different situation for you.

2017 Outback
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited May 2021
    @jules2go Another very happy Amazon Vmax AGM person here, and I have three of them.  After four years, they still act like new in terms of charge rate, voltage they get to, rate of discharge.

Free shipping, but you'll still have to find someone to take the old battery, so a core / recycling fee there.

P.S.  I have the 125Ah ones.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ISDL05K but the 100Ah are supposed to be just as good.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I was thinking of a Renogy gray box 200Ah AGM off Amazon for the new camper... then read the reviews and saw the pics posted.  Yikes!

• Options
    @DougH The 320 battery tray is 11 x 7 1/2 to fit group 24 battery, if I get a larger battery how do I fasten the battery so it doesn't move all over the tub while towing?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    @webers3 I welded in a group 31 sized battery holder on top the existing frame.  Many folks here say they fit a group 27 just fine and use a different strap, plastic tray, or battery box for it.

• Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
     @rfuss928 Thats the one i got.  had to remove 4" sewer tube to  fit the grp. 31 batt. box..   filled the orig. tray with solid hard plastic material one inch thick..  mounted box to it.. soild...
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    @manny > illed the orig. tray with solid hard plastic material one inch thick..  mounted box to it.. soild...

What a great idea, thanks.