Options

Low Budget Awning for T@B

AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,290
edited June 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
We liked using a pop-up canopy rather than the PahaQue that came with our (second hand) T@B. We still wanted some protection from sun and rain at the door, so found this half umbrella at Ikea for less than $20. The mounts are not as cosmetically appealing as I'd like, but will do until/if I come up with something better.

Stockton, New Jersey
2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    Very practical and clever!  I wonder if heavy duty suction cups would keep that on the side of the TaB?  We use them to secure our King Camp/Hasika/Laputa sun canopy.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM ... I'll bet they would! Where were you when I was drilling holes in my baby? ;)
    Actually, I'm thinking about an outside shower curtain for the back that would attach with suction cups.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    Amazon has them.  Search “heavy duty suction cup hooks”.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    AnOldUR said:
    @Sharon_is_SAM ... I'll bet they would! Where were you when I was drilling holes in my baby? ;)
    Actually, I'm thinking about an outside shower curtain for the back that would attach with suction cups.
    I would be really careful to not leave that up if it is at all windy. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Real life setup. Traveled from NJ to Nashville.

edit to add:
    Pretty windy today. Anything left out  got blown around the campsite. No issues with this IKEA umbrella. 
    more, but unrelated:
    Saw Payton Smith at Ole Red last night. Incredible show! Oh to be young again and have that kind of energy.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Another follow up. Got around to making a face plate for the eye bolts. Spreading out the load should be better for peace of mind, and I think it looks a little more professional.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    After three seasons using the Ikea umbrella I've been searching for a slightly larger version and finally settled on one from Home Depot. At $135 it's not the great deal that the Ikea umbrella was, but still not bad. I was able to adapt the post to fit the mount made for the Ikea. It's 88" x 45" compared to the Ikea's 64" x 39" and has a much more quality build to it. Looking forward to warmer weather to see if the extra size makes much difference.

Stockton, New Jersey