Options

Battery not holding a charge all night when boondocking

Does anyone have experience with this issue? Was told to by one person to change the current 12v battery to an AGM 12 volt. Another person suggested 2, 6 v batteries. 
Does anyone have boondocking experience with either?

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    To make any guesses here...we would need more info. What trailer and what year? What size battery (amp hours?)  What are you using in the trailer?  Which fridge?  Anything else like laptops or CPAP's?  What do you use to monitor your battery?  Solar panels?  Victron? Multimeter?
    What do you mean by "not holding a charge?"  What are you measuring this with? 
    Ifs:  you have a newer trailer, with a 2 way fridge, and the "stock" 80 amp hour battery...........there may not be enough amp hours in that battery to run the fridge all day without some type of backup charging: a solar panel or a generator.
    It is an easy puzzle to solve, but you need to see the shape and size of the pieces!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    edited May 2021
    @Roe - anyone doing any significant boondocking should have a higher than stock battery capacity and solar or generator to recharge.  In general AGM batteries have advantages including more resistance to vibration, faster recharge, no maintenance relative to regular lead acid, more forgiving with depth of discharge.  They are also more expensive.  2 6 volts will give you about 230 Ah with over a 100 A before requiring recharge.  You can also get 2 6V AGMs for the best of both worlds or lithium.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RoeRoe Member Posts: 6
    2021 tab 320 cs-s boondock model with solar panels and 2 way refrigerator. Running the heat, and refrigerator during the night, not turning on any lights or the water pump. Haven’t had the battery tested yet as we’ve been on the road but by the morning the battery is too low to run anything. Hope this helps
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    @Roe, is your solar working?  How are you monitoring the battery?  Are you camping where solar is effective?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Camper is new to us. I imagine there was a stock 12v battery installed. Camping in the southwest so plenty of sun. Is there a way to tell if the solar is working?
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    edited May 2021
    If you have installed solar: find the Victron app.  If you are using the little "lights" inside the trailer, they will mislead you.  You might be doing better than you think.  Find this app for the phone system of your choice.Let us know if you need help setting it up and "de-coding" it all.
    But:  get in there (if it is convenient) and find out what battery you have.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the helpful advice 
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    Here is my experience boondocking with stock battery, no solar. Appears something is off with your set-up.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9722/battery-usage-for-what-its-worth#latest
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    edited May 2021
    Roe said:
    2021 tab 320 cs-s boondock model with solar panels and 2 way refrigerator. Running the heat, and refrigerator during the night, not turning on any lights or the water pump. Haven’t had the battery tested yet as we’ve been on the road but by the morning the battery is too low to run anything. Hope this helps
    I have an older clamshell so it's not exactly the same but close. The older 2way fridge uses about 3.6amps while running (I think that the new one is similar). So theoretically, if the fridge is running 30% of 10hrs that could draw down your battery by about 12ah overnight. The more your compressor is running, the higher this number will be. If you have an 80ah battery you only have about 40ah of power you can use overnight. And then you would need to hope that the solar would put enough back into the battery during the day that you'd be starting the next night with 80ah. I suspect that you started with a full battery but the solar hasn't been keeping up with the fridge consumption, so your situation has gotten progressively worse. 

So here's some things to think about:
    1) What is the amp hour capacity of your battery?
    2) How much power can your solar panels output? Are they fully replenishing the battery during the day?
    3) How much is your fridge running? What setting do you have it on? Is the ambient temp cold enough to shut it off overnight? I've found that this is very useful for figuring out the right setting for the fridge: https://amzn.to/3eOk9Xo

If you want to do a lot of boondocking and you want to run the fridge, there's a good chance that you'll need more battery capacity.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    @roe, we have a 2021 320S boondock - our first season, we’d be hard pressed to get 24 hours out of the dealer installed deep cycle battery rated at 75 ah. By the next morning, we’d often be at 12.2 or 12.1 volts. Last summer was pretty hot so the fridge would cycle frequently. Our campsites usually had a pretty good leaf canopy as well so less efficient solar. 

I upgraded to 2  6volt wet cells @215 ah this spring. I’m currently 4 days into a trip, haven’t plugged in but have been driving daily. With the fridge running as a load and a light on,  my batteries are reading 12.7v tonight. I’ve had 2 cloudy days and 2 sunny days.

As others have indicated, to really analyze things you should quantify usage and charging carefully. I’ll just offer a subjective observation that going from the stock 37.5 useable ah to 107.5 ah has given us enough overhead that worrying about the battery charge has dropped way down the list of things to keep an eye on. 

It may be worth checking your solar - the victron app is a big help and be aware that there are two fuses for the solar - one under the seat by the victron contoller and one in the tub. I’ve been very happy after upgrading and would recommend adding as much capacity as you can within the limits of cost, space, and tongue weight - good luck!
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Yep, my experience agrees that without a daily solar recharge the 2021 cannot go much past 24 hours of using the refrigerator/lights/fan with the normal 12V 75-85 AmpHr battery the dealer puts in. If you plan to dry camp much all the above suggestions are great. Good or bad the propane refrigerator allowed easy week-end dry camps with the smaller battery. Not so now, I've got 7 continuous days in shady / probably raining camping this summer and even w/ my 3 100 watt panels - plan B I'm going to throw the smallest generator I can find in the TV to goose the battery daily if needed. By the way I like the new refrigerator - plan C is to turn if off - no problems then.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 259
    Agreed.  I have only 'boondock' camped twice in my 2021 T@B 320S...similarly equipped.  The first trip was in Michigan in July.  I didn't use the heat but used the fridge, water, fan and lights.  We had decent sun....but were in a partly shaded location.  My original 100 AH battery lasted about 2.5 days before hitting the 50% point.  Another trip in October required heat and was mostly overcast....this time it was under 2 days before hitting the 50% point.  Over the winter, I added two, 6V AGM's, a battery monitor and an additional suitcase solar panel (to better follow the sun).  I am headed out this weekend, so I'll let you know how it works.  
  • Options
    trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    Happened exactly like the in our 2020 version>>>>2021 tab 320 cs-s boondock model with solar panels and 2 way refrigerator. Running the heat, and refrigerator during the night, not turning on any lights or the water pump. Haven’t had the battery tested yet as we’ve been on the road but by the morning the battery is too low to run anything. Hope this helps"
    I want to upgrade the battery and add one too. No space in front "bin" or whatever it is called. Ideas?
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    trimtab said:
    Happened exactly like the in our 2020 version>>>>2021 tab 320 cs-s boondock model with solar panels and 2 way refrigerator. Running the heat, and refrigerator during the night, not turning on any lights or the water pump. Haven’t had the battery tested yet as we’ve been on the road but by the morning the battery is too low to run anything. Hope this helps"
    I want to upgrade the battery and add one too. No space in front "bin" or whatever it is called. Ideas?
    If you boondock a lot, bite the bullet and go lithium.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab