Options

What's your maintenance/repair comfort level?

This forum is definitely a goldmine in terms of learning how to do things, and while I am personally comfortable with electricals, winterizing/dewinterizing, basic fit/finish repairs, and the like, when I read some of the threads on jobs like bearing repacks, plumbing leaks, black tank repairs, or Alde fluid changes, I admittedly feel anxiety building just at the thought of tackling some of those - the dealer can take my money to take care of all that!  It's too easy to feel like we should be able to tackle anything the Tab throws at us based on some very smart/brave people here, but we've all got our comfort zones we're not willing to deviate from.. so what's yours?  And on the flip side, any of you brave souls adventurous enough to tackle absolutely anything to the point where your 'nearest dealer' is irrelevant since you never need 'em?

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Owning an RV is not like owning a new Ford pick up truck.  Most RV dealers will not service a unit unless purchased from them.  Many dealers carry multiple brands (similar to a used car lot).  They have little incentive to learn everything about a particular brand.  So service expertise about the T@B may be lacking.  I refuse to use my local dealer for service for these reasons.  That's why this forum and its moderators are so helpful.  I so enjoy my T@B while "camping" (defined as times not doing maintenance, repairs or mods).  It is a wonderful trailer.  We've bonded.  This is a long-term relationship. Will use any resource outside my dealer to keep the T@B functioning at its best.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @TomCanada I agree! I pay people who like to do things mechanically to do them, like change the oil in my car. I have basic knowledge, but physically can’t (or don’t want to) so I don’t. That said, I absolutely love to tinker with my 2017 Tab 320S as I can. And, as I explained to DH when he asked why I am always tinkering and doing mods on a perfectly good trailer…it’s because I can.  =)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ditto, what @Tabaz said!

Knock on wood, haven't needed a dealer's services yet. (Good thing since our dealer is 6 hours away!).

And thanks to this community for tons of tips and pointers and ideas!

It's been a fun education... OMG

Tracked down the 3-way fridge starting anomaly (loose thermocouple)
    Added baffling, cooling fan, and waste heat exhaust fans to fridge
    Installed runners for the slat supports for the bed
    Added a pair of foam toppers and found zipper bedsheets to wrap them in
    Added shut-off valve to toilet (to stop the leak in Tucumcari NM)
    Replaced the toilet flush valve when we got home
    (Learned to drain the plumbing thoroughly)
    Had a coffee
    Added an outdoor 12v socket
    Replaced the thermal fuse on the Alde
    Packed the bearings
    Checked the brakes
    More coffee
    Replaced the battery rack with capacity for twin 6v batteries
    Installed solar system
    Mounted spare on tongue (removed it later!)
    Wine time
    Screened all openings for wasps and mice
    Applied rust neutralizer to the frame
    Replaced the tail-lights with LED lights
    More wine
    Added insulation baffling to rear convector area
    Replaced the black-tank gate-valve
    (Learned to antifreeze the tanks!)
    Rerouted the drain under the kitchen sink and Installed a Hepvo trap.
    Built a simple shelf under the sink
    Changed the Alde glycol
    Installed a GPS tracking device with battery backup for security
    Replaced Fantastic Fan with a more fantastic one.
    Added rooftop tv antenna (still never used!)

And on and on....?

My DW said 'but I thought we bought it new, so you wouldn't have to fix it!?!'

Ok, yes I took it to a tire dealer to get the tires replaced.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    When we purchased ours, I had no desire to return it to the dealer for maintenance.  I assumed it's new and with the better build quality, minimal maintenance would be needed.  As I started learning about the systems, I figured it would have to go back to the dealer from to time to time.  As I read the various topics on these forums and discovered related YouTube topics I thought "Yes I can do this."  Then I started reading the Alde threads and thought "Geez, it will have to go back to the dealer."  I have since continued to follow the Alde threads and am now thinking "Ok I don't want to do this, but I can do it."
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    Tabaz said:
    Most RV dealers will not service a unit unless purchased from them.  Many dealers carry multiple brands (similar to a used car lot).  They have little incentive to learn everything about a particular brand.  So service expertise about the T@B may be lacking.  I refuse to use my local dealer for service for these reasons.
    When asking (NuCamp) questions about 3-way refrigerator removal/replacement, was told it should be done by dealer. Called dealer. They do refrigerator swap outs among the 14 brands of trailers they sell. Quoted labor/materials price. When manager found out we had laboriously (like 10+ hours of research) sourced the only 2-way fridge that "fits the hole", said they only do this work if you buy the refrigerator from them. Since they wouldn't have had the incentive, I doubt they would have found the right replacement fridge in 10 hours... if ever. God only knows how much that fridge would have cost.

2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Good question, @TomCanada. Personally, I can't envision my T@B ever seeing the inside of RV dealership. There's not much to a travel trailer that I'm not confident I could fix myself if absolutely necessary. (Getting parts for certain components is another story we won't get started on...).

However, this is less about being particularly brave or adventurous, and more about many years of incremental experience building houses and wrenching on vehicles as hobbies. All of those skills (not to mention the tools acquired along with them) translate nicely to a camper, which is nothing more than a small house bolted to a vehicle chassis.

There's a first time for everything, and most of these tasks are not particularly difficult if you have the interest and motivation to give yourself a little on-the-job training. (I realize physical limitations may factor in here, too.) It's one of the reasons I gravitate toward the technical discussions here--not to show off my own prowess but rather to encourage others to challenge their own skills. In doing so, I inevitably learn something new along the way as well.    
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Woodworking is my weak area, anything else I am going to give it a go!

One thing you quickly learn about an RV, any RV is they need stuff and the more you can do, the happier you will be with the RV experience. If you expect to buy one and just have fun and take it to the dealer for every little thing, then you will be here complaining a lot.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    @TomCanada your comment made me realize the value of this forum (and others like it). I got my T@B 400 from its first owner, having been used about 6 times. This forum answered questions about all the following:

1. Changes in my model year that helped me understand I did not have an inverter (the first owner thought there WAS an inverter, but had never tried to use it)

2. Gave me the knowledge to inspect and repack my bearings and adjust my brakes. I felt great satisfaction when I noted the performance when towing improved noticeably.

3. Informed me about a front window rubbing issue between the panes. Nucamp  sent a replacement window FREE

4. Informed me about the Jensen radio/DVD and when mine would not load a CD/DVD, I contacted ASA support and when hearing it was a NuCamp product, they replaced the unit FREE despite it being out of warranty. They said "We know NuCamp likes to keep their customers happy".

5. I learned about battery management and that certainly prevented me from ruining my AGM batteries. I installed a budget AiLi shunt and now I am a dedicated amp hour watcher.

6. I learned about proper management of the water systems and sanitation procedures

7. I was informed about how to change the switch on the bath fan, and did it for a couple of dollars.

8. Got great ideas on a mattress topper and sizing of bedding

9. Found out how to take apart the outside shower and reseal with proper sealants, while improving the flow.

10. Discovered a locking ring for the shore power connection that saved a LOT of frustration and time.

11. Finally, gave me the confidence to flush and refill the Alde, on schedule and now is working even better, after I also learned about adjusting the mixing valve for the hot water. I would have never attempted this without the help of others including @ScottG, @Horigan, @Dalehelman

All this and more provided to a guy who is not a technician/electrician/plumber or engineer. And who has low esteem for and no proximity to a dealer. So I would encourage others to read, learn and try some things on their own. It is not that hard and can be very satisfying. Folks here really do have your back!

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    +1
    qhumberd said:
    can be very satisfying. Folks here really do have your back!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    TomCanada said:
    This forum is definitely a goldmine in terms of learning how to do things, and while I am personally comfortable with electricals, winterizing/dewinterizing, basic fit/finish repairs, and the like, when I read some of the threads on jobs like bearing repacks, plumbing leaks, black tank repairs, or Alde fluid changes, I admittedly feel anxiety building just at the thought of tackling some of those - the dealer can take my money to take care of all that!  It's too easy to feel like we should be able to tackle anything the Tab throws at us based on some very smart/brave people here, but we've all got our comfort zones we're not willing to deviate from.. so what's yours?  And on the flip side, any of you brave souls adventurous enough to tackle absolutely anything to the point where your 'nearest dealer' is irrelevant since you never need 'em?
    I handle just about everything myself except for repacking bearings. I learned how to do that a long time ago and it's just something that I do not enjoy. Learning about 12v wiring has been a bit of a climb but I've always thought that in the long run it is better to buy tools and learn how to do something yourself. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    Haven't done much in 1 year of ownership besides winterizing,dewinterizing..water pump adjustment, purple heart wood grid to stand on in shower, fixed entry lock, tightened up many bolts and screws, figured out what a red alert and fixed it (Alde) replaced black water tank waste valve, reattached frig seal, tightened some electrictal connectors... Not a lot. I did take the trailer to the dealer to replace the complete A/C system,,which never worked.
    About as much as I want to do in one year..

2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited May 2021
    I have really surprised myself over the years. At first I was scared to do anything, except decorate. Since then, I've totally reworked the kitchen, including removing the stove, installing an instant hot water heater, adding a microwave, new countertops, installed a screen door, installed diamond plate on the front, replaced the converter, added new 110 outlets, added 12V lines, removed the propane system, installed a new television, installed a new radio and XM radio, put an outside Lagun mount on myself, added a cable outlet, replaced the bearings, and installed a power mover.

I also plan on adding permanent drawers to a couple of the cabinets.  I can cut the face of the cabinet and install the drawers, but will purchase the drawer boxes and drawer fronts made to size.

However, my limit of mods has probably come to an end. I probably need a new floor, but I don't have the confidence to tackle that job.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    When asking (NuCamp) questions about 3-way refrigerator removal/replacement, was told it should be done by dealer. Called dealer. They do refrigerator swap outs among the 14 brands of trailers they sell. Quoted labor/materials price. When manager found out we had laboriously (like 10+ hours of research) sourced the only 2-way fridge that "fits the hole", said they only do this work if you buy the refrigerator from them. Since they wouldn't have had the incentive, I doubt they would have found the right replacement fridge in 10 hours... if ever. God only knows how much that fridge would have cost.
    However, I am happy to say that when questions with specificity went to Creed in tech, he came through with needed answers. Thankfully we truly have some excellent people in Sugarcreek, OH!

2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM