Options

Ready! Set! Not So Fast!

Hi Gang! I've been on this forum for a few months now. I don't currently own a T@B, but I do like the look of them & from what I've learned here, the ease of towing, set-up, take-down are a huge plus.

In a few weeks, I will be free to order an R/V. So.....Good Folks: should I do it? Go for the T@B (M@Xs)?

Here is my situation, as well as my plans: 60, 6'2", 205lbs. I will be traveling solo. I want to see this great nation, "Up Close and Personal." I will be leaving my home base for a few months at a clip. Although bathroom/shower will be a bit cramped, but (no pun intended) will it be functional? I well know how to Improvise, Overcome & Adapt! I haven't camped since I was a kid.

I've only seen a T@B in photos and videos. I will spend needed time making "modifications" to the T@B prior to any extended trips. Enough of my rambling. Should I do it? Any and all advice, comment, suggestions will be appreciated!

FIRE AWAY!

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    sgttiki said:

Hi Gang! I've been on this forum for a few months now. I don't currently own a T@B, but I do like the look of them & from what I've learned here, the ease of towing, set-up, take-down are a huge plus.

In a few weeks, I will be free to order an R/V. So.....Good Folks: should I do it? Go for the T@B (M@Xs)?

Here is my situation, as well as my plans: 60, 6'2", 205lbs. I will be traveling solo. I want to see this great nation, "Up Close and Personal." I will be leaving my home base for a few months at a clip. Although bathroom/shower will be a bit cramped, but (no pun intended) will it be functional? I well know how to Improvise, Overcome & Adapt! I haven't camped since I was a kid.

I've only seen a T@B in photos and videos. I will spend needed time making "modifications" to the T@B prior to any extended trips. Enough of my rambling. Should I do it? Any and all advice, comment, suggestions will be appreciated!

FIRE AWAY!

Bathroom will be functional. Just sit on the toilet to shower. I have never had a single regret buying my T@b S Maxx last summer. Have there been a couple of bumps? Sure, but it was a great decision.

My advice:

If you plan on camping anywhere other than paved state parks, upgrade the axle to the Outback axle.
    Plan on moving the spare tire.
    Have extra outlets installed,
    Get the front window.
    The side porthole window will be in the bathroom, so don't bother.
    Get the aluminum platform from the Outback model.
    If you have a strong color preference, it is worth the cost if it is not a standard color.

Good luck on your decision(s)!!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Jenn - No window standard in the shower.

Like Jenn, absolutely no regrets getting the T@B MaxxS
    If custom ordering, I think I'd get the outdoor shower installed also. Wouldn't use it in campgrounds but if you do any boondocking (and you're tall) it gives you a lot more room and options.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - No window standard in the shower.

Like Jenn, absolutely no regrets getting the T@B MaxxS
    If custom ordering, I think I'd get the outdoor shower installed also. Wouldn't use it in campgrounds but if you do any boondocking (and you're tall) it gives you a lot more room and options.

No, but I have seen people special order the window and been like, "What was I thinking" :)

The outside shower would be nice to be able to rinse things off.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    Ditto on what Jenn said.  We love the Outback platform we ordered and we wish we'd ordered the outside shower and an outlet for the shelf in the very back, behind the seat back.
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    I'd always try to work with your local (or closest) dealer - We need a strong, prosperous dealer network and that's hard to get if people traipse all over the country creating a few super-dealers. Now of course, that doesn't mean you should pay thousands extra.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    I'd always try to work with your local (or closest) dealer - We need a strong, prosperous dealer network and that's hard to get if people traipse all over the country creating a few super-dealers. Now of course, that doesn't mean you should pay thousands extra.
    Yes, but make urea the dealer has a good reputation. I had to drive at least 3 hours to get my T@b and I wish I would have gone three hours the other direction to a different dealer. Overall, agree we need a string, nationwide network.

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I'm traveling about 250 miles for my T@B. There are two dealers closer, however, I am saving about $2,000. Also, I was able to custom order for the same base price that they are selling them for off the lot. I am also getting some accessories at a discount that the other dealers said were not possible. 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Being 6'2" in a TAB will be a challenge but do able if you are comitted.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    kybob - 250 ain't bad for a better deal. That's still supporting local dealers - some people shop the country, that's crazy to me.
    I had two dealers roughly equal distance from me, one would custom order for the same/better price, the other wasn't real excited about doing it. And I had the dealer put a package together with everything but the generator - locks, blocks, you name it - and they threw those in at wholesale.
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    I'm 6' and have no problem sleeping across the CS.  Seems like I don't stretch to the max while sleeping.

I travel with my wife and we enjoy our T@B, but I do think it's perfect for a solo traveler.  They are not for everyone, though, as stated many times before in this forum.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    sgttikisgttiki Member Posts: 92
    Being 6'2" in a TAB will be a challenge but do able if you are comitted.

How did you know I was "committed?" Medical records are supposed to be sealed! Just kidding, I think!

OK, so far, here are my preferences:

1. T@B M@X S, Silver w/Silver trim. I plan to do my own graphics/lettering and don't want bold colors of T@B to distract from my work/message.

2. Outdoor Shower. I'm 6'2". Would be nice to stand from time to time when showering.

3. Extra outlets. The more the merrier (sort of).

4. Outback Platform, or will fabricate platform.

5. Large Awning (no tent).

Considering:

1. Outback Axle. "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!"

2. Porthole Window in Shower. Can easily be covered with trimmed shower curtain.

Note: I've made a list (1 mile long) of recommended gadgets and gizmos compiled from this forum! This will lessen the chance of "Andy Farmer" experiences when I [first]hit the road!

Any comments/thoughts/suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks Gang. Always appreciate the input/advice.

• Options
    Extra light? Not worth it?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I've only spent one night in my T@B and you really don't need any more light. The overhead light is bright. At night, I actually appreciated the blue "night light" from the Jensen sound system.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    If light is too bright, add a small battery powered LED - mounted to wall with velcro - I have 4-5 of them (inside cabinets also) - if I want low-key, I use those. Bought a 4-pack at Walmart but Camping World had them also.
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    My mom, who is also around 5 feet tall, loves my CS T@B and is trying to convince her 6'7" husband to take it on a trip.  We were looking at it the other week and one could possibly connect the bed platform to the bench with a piece of plywood to make a bed extension for taller people.  
    Light in the bathroom is plenty bright.  I do wish I had an outside outlet (besides the one in the galley) and definitely could use an outdoor shower.  For the shower, I am going to try buying a handheld shower head and attach to kitchen faucet.
    I see that so many people move the spare tire from its location under the rear end. Maybe I'm dense, but what is the advantage?
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Beth, last week, it took two grown men to mount my spare tire under the T@B.  If you had a flat tire (oh, I hope not and knock on wood), could you lower the spare tire to the ground?  I would figure out how to do it, but it wouldn't be pretty and it wouldn't be easy.  AAA/RV for me ;) 

This is why so many are moving the location of the spare tire.  Right now, I like the balance of weight with it on the rear.  We'll see how this goes.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    In addition to Verna's comments, the spare tire, all too frequently, would scrape driveways, ad some campground roads. Besides, who wants to crawl under their T@b to remove the tire on the side of the road or in inclement weather?

When mine was under, it was dangerously close to coming off when I made a follow-up visit to the dealer. The technicians didn't notice it, but as the sales guy saw me pulling out, he sprinted after me to stop me. The tech must have tightened it so tight that it took me adding some leverage to my wrench to loosen the bolts when I went to move it. Now, on the tongue, it will be much easier for me to check the bolts to make sure they are secure - no crawling underneath.

• Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    Verna - many thanks!  I doubt I would be able to move it myself, if it's anything close to the weight of the Jeep spare tire.  I actually thought about "what if I get a flat" during my trip.  My conclusion was that I would call for assistance.  I didn't know AAA had a RV package.  I will check into it!
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    twocutes said:
    Verna - many thanks!  I doubt I would be able to move it myself, if it's anything close to the weight of the Jeep spare tire.  I actually thought about "what if I get a flat" during my trip.  My conclusion was that I would call for assistance.  I didn't know AAA had a RV package.  I will check into it!
    It's significantly lighter than the Jeep's spare tire. I had no trouble lifting it. I can lift the Jeep spare, but it takes pretty much all of my strength.

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    One reason I moved mine, try checking the air pressure when it is mounted under the rig, can't be done.  
  • Options
    Beth - Yep, AAA has a AAA+RV package - They'll send two flatbeds if both your TV and RV need towing.
  • Options

Hmmmm......I really appreciate all of the advice, but this thread (like others) seems to morph into something different from original intent. Suggestion:; if your response is not related to original "heading" of thread, then seek out thread which addresses your [different] response. It will help all of us find specific topic threads without searching through unrelated information.

I am guilty of contributing to "Topic Morph." I will do my best to stay on topic of thread heading. 

Also, I've noticed quite a bit of "low information/no information" responses, such as "LOL," "HaHaHa," or short, personal responses. I think this puts extra/unnecessary burdens onto the moderators. Suggestion: If possible, send these types of responses directly to person via e-mail.

I am not meaning to offend anyone, but sometimes I'm reminded of the 70's CB radio days, where people would just want to speak on the radio. Result: Airwaves crowed with non productive/irrrelevant chatter

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    We have the Q model with the outdoor shower, but if doing it again I would consider the S model - mainly for the convenience of the toilet for my wife at night.  For myself, I don't need that as a this device is sufficient.  

Our 2013 model does not have the Alde combined heating and hot water system.  Because we need shore power to get hot water the outdoor shower does not get as much use as it would with the Alde on-demand hot water.  On a winter trip, though, I found that the Atwood furnace (not sure if it still available) was more than enough when not on shore power and a small portable electric heater was perfect for nights around 45-50 degrees F when on shore power.

Definitely recommend the front window for the extra light and spacious feeling it creates.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    sgttiki - Agree things tend to derail and need to be kept on track a little more closely.
    Don't necessarily agree that threads should be dry as day old toast though. Have been on forums where it's "just the facts mam" sterile and there is no personality or real comraderie/community. Dictionary dry.