Options

Simple solution for mouse prevention

xdrxdr Member Posts: 266
Ever since we watched the Mandy Lea video  mouse infestation video, I have had this nagging thought that we need to close up our holes in the camper as well. Actually, more than a nagging thought...it kept me up at night. So today was the day --and I just finished covering all access points under the Tab. 
We were planning on using a black metal screen material and screwing it over the holes. It seemed complicated so I decided to use aluminum screen door material with JB Weld around the edges to hold it on. What a mess! 
After cleaning the JB Weld off the frame, my hands, my pants, under my nails, the puppy, etc. I had the idea of using heavy duty 3M tape. The tape I used is not the removable command strip. This was the 15# clear 3M found in a roll. I cut the screen and taped them all in place. 
For people like us who are moderately good at DIY projects, this was the easist way to go. I'm positive there are more professional examples, but I wanted to share our success for those with more basic skills. I tried to reposition one of them and it did not want to move so it seems like this may work. 

Time will tell if it is going to last, but I feel better for now knowing the varmints can't climb in! And I can sleep peacefully :) .

mer

2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.

Comments

• Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 405
    Simple for whom?  :)
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 627
    I just sprayed mouse/pest repellant expanding foam in all the interior penetrations in my 400 (water tank lines and below shower P-trap.  Fingers crossed this will suffice.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 458
    After experiencing a $5800 repair to my Tacoma main engine wiring harness due to rodent eating it I did a lot of research.  My Toyota Service Manager said they replace one each day.  Their recommendation was an automotive electronic rodent detergent.  They install them but pointed me to Amazon.  Two wires to the battery.  They also said a sack of moth balls under the hood doesn’t hurt.  My trailer got the same treatment.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    The attraction to wiring harnesses is caused by the soybean oil that is used for lubrication of the insultation "die" while it is being extruded onto the wire itself. Since soybean oil is also available in "food grade" it makes for a nice on bio hazard environmentally safe lubricant, which simply means it doesn't kill everything it touches like a petroleum product would.

However, it becomes a "flavor enhancer" and unfortunately the tree rats (oops, squirrels) and all other nesting rodents are highly attracted to it. I have also unfortunately been the recipient of a tree rat, it took me 5 hours to fix it the 2nd time after which I traded vehicles and bought a high powered pellet gun. The population is down in my neighborhood but not down enough, my neighbor had both vehicles attacked. One of the two was at a dealership for 3 months to get fixed. 

"Eat more squirrel", that may help but honestly they aren't very enjoyable to eat!

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Regarding using the JB Weld and subsequent mess, etc. try using a pair of latex gloves for these projects whether using the above, when doing oil changes, lubing the bearings, etc.  I keep a box on hand in my workshop and also have the mechanic style black latex style gloves for use during oil changes, etc.  It makes the cleanup much easier and no more grimy, sticky hands, etc.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ