Looking for the best tow vehicle for a TAB basic U style

We are looking to replace our Subaru Outback as a tow vehicle.  We discovered on a recent road trip that our 2012 Outback was not up to the task. It was OK on the flats, but not in the mountains of So. Oregon. It was an expensive lesson, a blown head gasket and a $3800. repair.
So any suggestion are welcomed.  We're looking to buy used.
Thanks

Comments

• MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
    We tow with a 2018 AWD Highlander, XLE, with tow package.  It seems quite up to the job with our 2017 TAB 320.   
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
    Wisconsin
  • dlbdlb Member Posts: 139
    The Germans build excellent small SUVs.  Look at the BMW X3 or the Audi Q5 both are excellent vehicles. Pre owned come with being brought up to factory spec and warranty.  You would be surprised what you get for the money.  Both are reliable vehicles.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    Pick your favorite brand/style vehicle with at least 3500# tow rating.  Get the factory towing package and you'll be all set.  Lots of good choices out there depending on personal preferences and other needs.
    Have fun!

• SpanglerpdxSpanglerpdx Member Posts: 4
    I have been towing a 320-U with a Toyota Tacoma Off Road TRD with the tow package. It seems to be a good balance. The stock mirrors are wide enough, hitch height about right. It has built in sway control, but I did have to add a brake controller.

My suggestion is that you find a towing capacity calculator and do the due diligence before just accepting any number you don't have to dig for.  When I finally pulled all of the calculations together, my rig had a capacity of 3050 pounds with a 20 percent safety margin. The 320-U weighs 1700 pounds according to a truck scale. That leaves enough margin for people, water, and rum and coke.. Cheers. 

• TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 220
    chevy colorado either gas or diesel
  • gullystravelsgullystravels Member Posts: 27
    Thanks everyone for all the good suggestions.  Much appreciated