Options

7-Pin Plug Hard to Connect. Is Dielectric Grease the Answer??

andyboyandyboy Member Posts: 120
I have a new TV with a newly installed 7-pin receptacle. Seems to be quite a tight fit. Connecting to it takes a few times and causes a bit of frustration, lots of colorful language (I have yet to find the right combination of words to make it easier) and a few bumps and bruises along the way. I realize tight is right connection-wise but is there something I can do to make it easier?
The dielectric grease seems like it could help by adding a bit of lubrication, according to things I've seen on YouTube and in Google. But then again I gave myself an appendectomy from what I learned from those two sources---didn't go well.
So with this connector for our 320S Boondock, I don't want to take any chances.
So! Will it help? And howbest apply it?

2021 320 S Boondock
Subaru Outback XT and Honda Passport
Des Moines, IOWA!

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @andyboy - tight is right?  Our 7 pin goes in easier by tipping it up and leading with the lower end.  Kind of hard to describe.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    So rather than going straight it, sneak in underneath and then  tip it in straight to connect?
    By tight is right, I meant it has to seat securely rather than “almost securely.”
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Options
    @andyboy - correct.  Ours is mounted so that it faces inward toward the license plate and it can be a challenge, so I am empathetic😊
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2021
    It should help. Dielectric grease is a good idea anyway. It keeps the water out, and prevents corrosion.
    A corroded plug (or receptacle) is never a good thing!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Dilectric grease should not be used on the connector terminals. It is not conductive. Connector plugs are designed for a "bare" contact. Connectors should not require any lubrication in that they are designed to self lubricate. Dilectric grease could also carry dirt into the connectors. 
    It would be appropriate to use it on the outside of the shell to help you insert/remove it (and keep water out) but do not get it inside the plug.
    If you think you have a connectivity issue a product like Tweak is designed for improving contacts connectivity but based upon your explanation it sounds like a fit/alignment issue, not connectivity.
    You might want to check the alignment tab on both sides of the connector to see if there are burrs or damage that are keeping the plug from fitting.
  • Options
    tabiphile, it’s definitely a fitament issue. Connectivity seems to be fine. Thanks for your advice.

2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Options
    We use the dilectric grease to protect the 7 pin from corrosion and water effects, too.  This is the first time I have heard not to use it that way.  Found this info on theDrive.com.

Will Dielectric Grease Worsen a Connection?

There is a myth floating around that putting dielectric grease into electrical connections can cause them to fail because the grease gets between the metal. That’s not true. 

Although the dielectric grease does insulate the metal and wiring from external invaders, the contacts are tight enough to still maintain a connection, the grease is just displaced. That said, you do not need to squirt huge globs of dielectric grease into your connectors as you see in some videos out there.

When To Use Dielectric Grease

Dielectric grease acts as a lubricant, a sealant, an insulator, and a protectant when lightly used on these applications.

• Battery terminals
    • Spark plug boots
    • Bulb sockets
    • Trailer connectors
    • General electrical connections
    • General plastic or rubber lubrication
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    edited June 2021
    We use the dilectric grease to protect the 7 pin from corrosion and water effects, too.  This is the first time I have heard not to use it that way.  Found this info on theDrive.com.

As previously noted, connectors are designed with a very specific interference type fit that insures conductivity when the male and female side are joined. Most include a plating that prolongs the life of the contact and also enhances conductivity. Typically they are made of brass, phosphor bronze , beryllium copper and similar alloys (Ampcoloy 944 etc.) and then plated with gold, nickel or tin. The addition of a "lubricant" is unnecessary and may be counter productive and especially if (in the case of grease) it carries dirt or contamination into the connector. 

From the same "the Drive" article FAQ:

Q: So Does Dielectric Grease Improve a Connection? 

A: No, dielectric grease is not conductive, so it does not improve connectivity. 

Q: Then Is Dielectric Grease Necessary?

A: No, dielectric grease is not needed for any connections to work.

• Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180
    Use electrical contact cleaner for your electrical part of the connection. You can use it to clean both the male (tow vehicle receptacle) and female (camper power plug). Use silicone lubricant on the the non electrical part (outside) of the connection (part that goes in the channel - that may be what is binding). Like previously mentioned, dielectric grease to protect a connection not improve it - it's not conductive. But if it's something you tighten like a battery terminal it will force the grease out as you tighten it. Here's an example: clean battery cable and battery terminal with electrical contact cleaner. Connect cable to battery. You can now put dielectric grease over the connection to protect it from dirt and other contaminants. I use a battery protector spray instead of dielectric grease for that purpose. On my TV and camper connection I just clean periodically with electrical contact cleaner.

2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM and @tabiphile, well it seems the plot thickens or gets greasier about dielectric grease!
    I applied some of the stuff on the outside of the connector and the inside of the  receptacle which seemed to help to make a connection.
    Sometimes.
    And @Sharon_is_SAM, I tried your suggestion of attacking from below but it didn't seem to help. And then, I can't tell you why, I tried from the left side and it connected, with difficulty and not consistently, but it made a solid connection. Upon closer inspection it looked as though one of the connnector blades was bent a bit. I got it into alignment and then all my problems were solved.
    I did not use the dielectric grease on any of the connectors, just the outsides as a lubricant. Like I know what I'm doing.....but it seemed to help. Thank you all for your wisdom.
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!