Campground length limit question: no trailers.

PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
I am running into language like this on campground reservations websites, primarily with Federally owned campgrounds (e.g., USFS, NPS, etc.):
Vehicle Length Limit: 24-foot RV, no trailers.

Does this literally mean "no trailers" allowed?  Or no trailers in addition to the RV?  If a site can accommodate a 24-foot RV, seems it should accommodate my T@B, right?  These sites are generally reserved on a website that doesn't offer a contact phone number.  I wouldn't want to reserve a site and show up only to be denied access because, gasp, I have a trailer.

Thanks for the help! 
2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited June 2021
    The regulations may be RV  Motorhome or single trailer longer than 24 feet in some parks, and Combined length restrictions of a trailer and its TV or a Motorhome and it’s trailer (normally a small vehicle), which can make for long rigs when combined.  If it states no trailers, then it is Motorhomes only. 

However, each park has different limits.  TheTV and Trailer combo may also have a max length in some parks, but a short 24-foot limit normally refers to the trailer or RV length only, as the TV can be unhitched from the trailer and parked elsewhere.  This limit is due to the size of the RV/Trailer campsite spaces at some parks.  
    Here is a good explanation of the various park TV and Trailer limits or requirements: https://rvshare.com/blog/national-parks-rv-length-limits/ 
      Your TaB should be fine, to make your reservations whist you can get one.  B)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    @Denny16 -- thanks for the link.  Based on what they say about the specific campground I was looking at this morning, it appears "no trailers" literally means "no trailers"   :bawling:
    Gold Bluffs — Trailers: prohibited / Motorhomes: 24 feet

I'll have to look at the other campgrounds that have had similar language.

edited June 2021
    Yes, I saw that also, so back to the drawing board...  :o
    My Jeep JT truck is 18-feet and the TaB400 is 18 feet, so I have a combined length of 36-feet (which might squeak by a 35-foot limit), so an other limiting factor.  A 16-18 foot long truck towing a 25 to 40-foot trailer is going to have even less options, as the combined length is 40-60 feet long.  I knew there was a reason I wanted to keep the trailer at 20-feet or less.   =)
    @Denny16 -- disappointing, I figured these T@Bs were small enough to go anywhere!  And, yes, it is getting hard to find an available campsite.

Yes, Joshua Tree National Park was on my bucket list, but has a max combined length of 35-feet.  Another site high on my list is the National Redwood parks, and their campgrounds work, with 24-30 foot trailer limits are available.  Jedediah Smith Campground, is 31-ft trailer length, so it works nicely also.
    cheers
    @Denny16 -- yes, I was looking at Redwood National Park (I lived in Humboldt County while in grad school), but looks like availability is limiting.  Hard to be spontaneous these days.

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Interesting information. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Denny16 said:
    Yes, Joshua Tree National Park was on my bucket list, but has a max combined length of 35-feet.  Another site high on my list is the National Redwood parks, and their campgrounds work, with 24-30 foot trailer limits are available.  Jedediah Smith Campground, is 31-ft trailer length, so it works nicely also.
    cheers
    I'm pretty sure that there are few sites in the Indian Cove campground at Joshua Tree that would be big enough.
    Indian Cove Campground, Joshua Tree National Park - Recreation.gov
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    Perhaps Marceline, but the reservation system has this limit listed:
    • Indian Cove Campground — 30 feet COMBINED
    So, you would not be able to make a reservation.  Black Rock and Belle have a closer 35-foot combined length that I might be able to get into, being only 1-foot over (unless the measure your rig upon arrival).
    cheers
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Some of Joshua Tree’s campgrounds are currently “not available”.  Check Rec.Gov before going. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Denny16 said:
    Perhaps Marceline, but the reservation system has this limit listed:
    • Indian Cove Campground — 30 feet COMBINED
    So, you would not be able to make a reservation.  Black Rock and Belle have a closer 35-foot combined length that I might be able to get into, being only 1-foot over (unless the measure your rig upon arrival).
    cheers
    That's weird. I'm not seeing that. 
    Site 22 = 35ft

I would also look at Jumbo Rocks and Cottonwood.
    Jumbo Rocks has some sites that are listed as 36ft.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    OK, thanks Marceline, you must be seeing updated info on the park specific site.  It is a good idea to check the USNPS specific campground site listings at Rec.gov.  Thanks Verna for that info.
    cheers
  • reynoldsreynolds Member Posts: 1
    The best bet is to call. Sometimes the web site has limited options and doesn't fit what they are trying to convey. 
  • SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 410
    I'll double what @reynolds said about calling.  We got into Madison Campground at Yellowstone this year by calling.  There were no available sites per the website, but a call to the campground scored us a site accommodating our 32 ft combo in a pull-thru site.  
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH