Options

Keep the Laptop or go for the Tablet?

Comments

• Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    I purchased a Lenovo Yoga 3 11" in April, which has similar functionality to the Microsoft Surface.  However, the keyboard is attached and you can rotate 360 degrees.  It is both a laptop and a tablet, which is what I wanted.  I am old style and appreciate a real keyboard and operating system.  The Yoga is also lightweight.  It is a solid machine, but the wireless network card does leave something to be desired.  I am a loyal Lenovo customer, having used 4 individual and 3 or 4 corporate issued laptops.  Price point is higher than others.  I don't do massive photo editing.  If I did, I may go Apple/Mac.  I also use the iPhone 5 for hot spot, when needed.  That is especially useful when you have a free wireless connection, but make sure you have a power source, as it drains the battery.  I also have a Verizon wireless hot spot device.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Thanks everyone for the input.  I'm keeping the laptop for my next trip.  I will do some serious evaluating and use this thread for reference to make a decision.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I don't have tv in T@B.  When I want movies, I have a pico projector that I project on the walls or the ceiling (or the side of the tab outside if I want larger).  Every once in a while, we have movie nite, make some popcorn and hold up a set of speakers to the small projector.  I keep 100 meg of movies on an old iPad classic and link to the projector.  Recharge everything in the car when I'm driving around, so don't use any power for the evening.  Either that or I steam to an iPad while sitting in bed.  Just my standard approach of minimizing electrical needs on the tab.
  • Options

OK, someone must have twisted my arm really hard because I am now the proud owner of a Surface Pro 3.  Just got it today and am in the process of setting it up and learning new curse words as I go (also using some of the old ones I've abused for years).  Won't know how much I really like it until I take my next trip at the end of next week.  Black Hills (for the fourth time) anyone?

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Amazon prime videos Larry. Load 'em onto the t@blet for free before you head out.  Delete from device after viewing each.  Download more at next healthy wifi spot! I do this all the time pre-flying anf then flying. No issues.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    If I wasn't doing heavy photo editing, I'd just use my iPad.
    Most people I know do mainly email, Facebook, and surf the web. Can all be done from an iPad/tablet. Millions of programs and each relatively cheap - lots cheaper that typical laptop software.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    If I wasn't doing heavy photo editing, I'd just use my iPad.
    Most people I know do mainly email, Facebook, and surf the web. Can all be done from an iPad/tablet. Millions of programs and each relatively cheap - lots cheaper that typical laptop software.
    And therein lies the benefit of using the tablet that can replace your laptop.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Well, I totally went to the fruit side--MacBook Air, iPad, and I've had the iPhone for years. I figure if I like the other Apple products that I might as well just use all three.  One of these days, soon, the Dell will be turned off, never to be turned on by me again. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Jenn - most don't need a dual operating system system. Most don't need Windows 10 or Mac OSX. They simply need a few apps that all pretty much operate the same within one user interface.

Verna - You pretty much have the same setup as me. One thing I discovered in a coffee shop this last week was that if I logged into their wifi - password - it got shared with my other devices so I was already logged in when I fired them up. Cool. It was a lengthy, complicated password, wasn't looking forward to entering twice more - didn't have to.
  • Options
    I'll remember that, PXLated. It happened at my sister on my iPad and iPhone, and I thought it was a fluke. Yes, that makes it much simpler.  Thanks.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Apple all the way as well.  Pxlated, have you ever used CamRanger with your camera?  On laptop, or iPad, provides large screen preview for my camera when in live view mode.  Nice to see a large live version of camera image while composing (works on phone as well but image detail on larger screen is better).
  • Options
    mash2 - Not sure which app I have/had for doing that. Haven't done it for a long time. My main camera (Sony A7) has wifi built in so I can control it from my iPhone. Range is only about 150 ft though.
  • Options

Microsoft or Apple.  Who has the superior operating system?  Most of us have what we have because we prefer it.  I'm not in the habit of spending that kind of money for something I don't like.

My camera also has WiFi that can communicate with my Windows system.  The new Surface Pro 3 (Windows), which I am trying to learn how to operate, will also synchronize so that passwords are shared.  Ain't Bluetooth a marvel?

So, back to my original question; keep the laptop or get the tablet?  The MacBook or iPad was never a consideration, so the Surface will be making future trips with me.  I trust it will enhance my T@B travels, which is the ultimate purpose.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Larry, you made the right decision for your situation. I hope to get to see your Surface Pro 3 in action in the future.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Its smart remote control app.  Do you have the most recent?  (looks like it was mid this year).  It looks like they added more functionality to interact with the camera from the device (aperture, speed, focus have been added, I think).
    The controls in cam ranger for my Nikon d800 than in the sony program (manual focus manipulation and some other advanced features), but the newest version of the sony remote control app seems to have improved remote access to details in the A7.
    Might want to check it out.  
    For me, there are times when it helps to remotely control the camera that would be difficult and the review on an 11" screen is helpful at times (fine focus with some manual lens in particular - the magnified screen helps for a couple of great manual rokinon lens that i have).
  • Options
    mash2 - The remote app for the A7 has everything - control wise - except "bulb" mode. Limited to 30 seconds. That's one of the reasons I don't use it much, the other being the range. Works great for setting up on a tripod next to a bird nest or whatever and triggering shots.

Larry - Yep, buy what works for you. For me, the Apple integration, millions of apps, consistent user interface, makes it worthwhile to me.
  • Options
    Too bad... The cam ranger has bulb and bulb ramping for my camera (multiple bulb exposures).  I can understand why you need it (I use myself for many images, particularly near or after sunset.)
  • Options
    I'm betting that the current high school seniors will be the last group to buy computers for college. Beyond them (maybe even including them), it'll all be tablets.
    With the accuracy, pressure sensitive, no latency stylis Apple just introduced, the large iPad Pro allows one to do things (pixel level selection) that currently require a computer/mouse. OS9 (released yesterday) also has a nifty feature where if you place two fingers on the on-screen keyboard, it turns into a trackpad. Plus you can run two apps side-by-side to copy/paste between.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    With the accuracy, pressure sensitive, no latency stylish.... Plus you can run two apps side-by-side to copy/paste between.
    I just have to laugh at this. You would think Apple invented this when they are merely copying what the Surface/Surface Pro have had out for a long time and you are not limited to specialty apps with a Surface, you can run full blown desktop software. Meanwhile, no touchscreen in sight for the Macbooks. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn - Only if you look at the surface (pun intended) - it's a stylist - and don't dig deeper and understand what they actually did and introduced. It's the combination of new screen tech and stylist.
    So, you got me laughing also - Thanks, I needed that :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - Only if you look at the surface (pun intended) - it's a stylist - and don't dig deeper and understand what they actually did and introduced. It's the combination of new screen tech and stylist.
    So, you got me laughing also - Thanks, I needed that :-)
    Actually, the SP3 pen is not a stylus.  http://blog.surface.com/2014/05/get-know-surface-pro-3-pen/

• Options
    Actually, they both copied the stylist from Wacom...they've been at it for for over 20 years and compac used their stylus in the original tablet computer put out in 1993.  Seems both Microsoft and Apple are a bit late to the game.  

With regard to Ipad Pro vs. Surface, there is a new one due out.  Hopefully they deal with the heat and battery life (with the real comparison to the Air, not the iPad Pro).  Let's see how consumers react to both (and the Macbook Air).  
  • Options
    Does it have 3D Touch (pressure sensing) with haptic feedback and no lag in drawing programs?
  • Options
    mash2 said:
    Actually, they both copied the stylist from Wacom...they've been at it for for over 20 years and compac used their stylus in the original tablet computer put out in 1993.  Seems both Microsoft and Apple are a bit late to the game.  

With regard to Ipad Pro vs. Surface, there is a new one due out.  Hopefully they deal with the heat and battery life (with the real comparison to the Air, not the iPad Pro).  Let's see how consumers react to both (and the Macbook Air).  
    Surface Pro 2 actually used a Wacom stylus. Wouldn't say Microsoft was late as they are the first full PC operating system to support touch screens.
    PXLated said:
    Does it have 3D Touch (pressure sensing) with haptic feedback and no lag in drawing programs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUA61HemlMU

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Jenn, look at the Compaq Concerto, arguably the first tablet 2 decades ago (they did use window 3.1 which implemented wacom technology) with "touch control" over two decades ago, based on this wacom technology as I recall.

Microsoft contracted with wacom for the first two surface computers and then bought their current pen technology by acquiring an Israeli company.  Apple has done similar acquisitions.  They offer a different approach to how the user interacts with a computer.  I would agree that I think apple needs to embrace touchscreen on their desktops, but obviously they have familiarity with touchscreen technology and so far have elected to not implement in their desktop/laptop environment.    

I've used windows 10 machines and don't like it.  I find the operating system cumbersome, nonintuitive and kludgy; you obviously do like it.  Both operating systems have advantages and disadvantages.  

Folks should try both and decide which best meets their style of interacting with the technology (in the end the reason both having an interface is to let people fluidly interact with the technology to get things done).

I will say that I think that adobe will react to the iPad Pro by extending their photo suite to embrace it (which is all I care about).  I like adobe's software and want fluid access to manipulating raw images, whoever gives me that in a way that improves my command of the programs, I'll get it and use it.  I bring up wacom because I've used their technology for a couple of decades because it met my needs long before either apple or microsoft considered my needs.  (and I've used both operating systems to access my desired goals). My approach is the same as I have with the T@B; work with what I've got to make things work for me.
  • Options
    In other words, no it doesn't - That vid is just standard pressure sensitivity that's been around for quite some time - like the Wacom.
    I understand Jenn that your Microsft/Windows to the core and that's ok, the surface is just fine hardware if you need a dual operating system. Most don't.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    In other words, no it doesn't - That vid is just standard pressure sensitivity that's been around for quite some time - like the Wacom.
    I understand Jenn that your Microsft/Windows to the core and that's ok, the surface is just fine hardware if you need a dual operating system. Most don't.
    Actually, I don't need a dual operating system. Windows 10 on all my screens, from wrist to hone to tablet. I could not run Adobe Creative Suite or the Canon EOS Utility on the iPad pro, so I wouldn't even consider it. For most, the a surface is a much better value. Everything you need from a tablet and laptop in one device. I do find it a little shocking that Apple has not developed touch for the MacBook yet, though. When you walk into best buy most of the laptops you see today have touch screens. The ipad has a lot of apps, but most people still have a couple of niche desktop apps that they like to use, whether it be the vpn from work or other tool.

Not sure if the N-Trig pen for SP3 uses 3d sensitive or not since photo editing doesn't really require it. I doubt many have a need for a pen beyond what the Surface uses. All I know is that I experience zero lag and zero frustration with my pen and it allows me to be edits in PhotoShop than I could do with my mouse. And the size if your ipencil is rather large... looks more like the pencils kids use in kindergarten (do they still use the big pencils?)

At the end of the day, you won't change my mind and I won't change your mind, but what is important for most to know ks that they do have options.

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    Both of you are amazing photographers and achieve brilliant results with very different systems. I'm glad that two talented artists have found effective tools that can even be used in a tiny camper. You're getting really cool pictures in a way that wouldn't have been possible even ten years ago
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    Nope we won't :-)
    Microsoft is making real good versions of mobile office for both iOS and Android from what I hear. I have no need for it though.
    FYI - I no longer use Photoshop as my main editor. Used PS since the first RGB beta. Now use an app called Pixelmator, have it on both my Mac and iPad. Also have a couple of other new ones on the Mac. Interfaces make PS look like a relic and also use a lot of the native Apple hardware features which PS can't really take advantage of.
  • Options
    Pxlated, I haven't updated to yosemite so can't try.  Curious, does it support PSB file format (photoshop large document format)?  I'm editing in 7500 x 25000 pixel image sizes that don't really fit in the photoshop standard format.  (technical documentation indicates PSD, but not PSB support.