Options

Wheel Hub Center Caps

The center caps on the wheel hubs of my 2019 TAB 400 have departed for better climes.  Since they serve no purpose other than to cover the grease fitting rubber plug on the Dexter easy-lube axle, and since they are plastic with 6 plastic "ears" to hold them on, and since the wheel must be removed anyway to do a proper grease service, I thought I would just replace the entire center hub with ones with a solid end.  Before I get out in the heat to remove a wheel and take measurements of the existing hubs I thought I would ask if anyone might have the correct dimensions of the existing hubs.
Or maybe someone has sourced a set of metal end caps that fit the existing hubs

I'll try to add some pics but for some reason they seem to show up as Tiffs rather than JPGs and don't embed in the message but are added as attachments.

Comments

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    On our 2019 Boondock 400 the covers are metal. I find them useful as they transmit heat from the hub and I can feel them when stopping for heat buildup. Thinking they should be the same size as the axle rating is the same. Maybe those are available as a replacement.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @qhumberd Yes, the "cans" around the hub are metal but the end caps (with the TAB logo on them) are plastic.  The six "ears" that hold them in are also plastic and apparently break easily.  I would like metal end caps with metal "ears."  Or failing that I am looking for right sized "cans" that do not have the removable end caps.
    There seem to be many options for solid metal "cans" but I need to know the size off the current "cans."  I was just hoping someone had the dimensions so I didn't need to remove a wheel in order to measure.
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    @falcon1970 my apologies I mis read your question. And I failed to notice that my logo is plastic when I pulled the wheels and serviced the bearings last summer. I did not make a measurement then but hopefully someone has.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited June 2021
    The metal hubs are pushed into the wheel center from the inside of the hub, the the metal hub has a flailed end on the inside to hold it in place.  You can just measure the hub diameter next to the wheel to het its diameter size.  You need to remove the wheel and push the hub in from the outside to remove it.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @Denny16
    Thanks, I knew that the hubs were trapped behind the wheel and I have the diameter already.  I guess all I need to know now is the length from the flange to the face.
    Oddly, one hub seems to be loose--it tends to rattle.  the other hub is snug against the wheel.  I thought that maybe I had a loose wheel but when I checked it was as tight as it should be with 95 ft-lbs of torque on the lug nuts.  When I pull the wheel I will see if there is some discrepancy in how the wheel seats against the brake drum.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    You should be able to reseat the loose hum by tapping it back in from the backside after you remove the wheel.  Good luck
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    I'll get out and pull wheels as soon as the temp drops around here.  First there was 4 1/2 days of no power and below zero temps and now Mother Nature is making up for that by running the temps up to nearly 100!