Options

Just Some Fun = = Comparing Two Travel Routes

MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
We all know the Interstate is easier to drive than most 2-lane highways.  Even with the increased traffic volume and big trucks the Interstates have wide lanes, sane grades, and constant posted speed limits.  We also know Interstate scenery gets boring very fast.  While the 2-lane highways have interesting small towns/villages, lighter traffic, far fewer big trucks, and far far more demanding driving generally with more hills and curves - - - with of course never boring scenery.

On my most recent adventure had the opportunity to drive both 4-lane and 2-lane highway options between Point A and Point B.
All the pluses and minuses of the two held true.
Routes (the curves)  -  Times are Google Car at speed limit

Elevation (the hills)

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    We always look at the miles and travel time per Google, then add 15 - 20% to account for our 62 mph speed limit and stops for food and fuel.  I am surprised that the time for the above routes is so similar.  I would expect lower speed limits and longer driving time for the off highway routing.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    The reason I use interstates is there is always someone behind me on the 2 lanes that takes way to many chances to pass my rig where as on the interstates I just stay in right lane so they can safely pass. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    We always look at the miles and travel time per Google, then add 15 - 20% to account for our 62 mph speed limit and stops for food and fuel.
    Normally that is true.  These routes are in Montana. It seems Montana legislators decided to post every road at 70 MPH (or higher) even if the road was built decades ago for 50/60 MPH traffic. A good percentage of locals were driving well below the posted speed limit on the 2-lane.
    . . . am surprised that the time for the above routes is so similar.  I would expect lower speed limits and longer driving time for the off highway routing.  
    If you get up to speed with the Furkot Trip Routing program it allows you to input your driving speed plus fuel stops, rest stops, etc all with estimated duration to calculate a fairly accurate final day stop point arrival time.  Can even set the program for arrival time you wish - - - -
  • Options
    gulfarea said:
    The reason I use interstates is there is always someone behind me on the 2 lanes that takes way to many chances to pass my rig where as on the interstates I just stay in right lane so they can safely pass.
    Agree, that can be an issue.  I tend to experience it more on 2-lanes that are the main road (no 4-lane option) and nearer big towns/cities.  I always try to follow "if delaying 3 or more cars, pull over and let them pass" guidelines.

• Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    On two lane roads, it's not unusual for me to have to slow or brake to allow space for somebody passing who lacked good  judgement in an attempted maneuver.  I'd be frustrated if not for knowing somebody's life was possibly saved.   This has happened times when nothing was being towed.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    We took a week-long trip over to the Blue Ridge Mtns in Western NC this week, and traveled interstate pretty much the whole way.  If there was a good alternative, we probably would have taken it.  Semi trucks on the interstate seem to be getting more aggressive and frankly reckless.  Within the first hour of driving, we were run off the road onto the shoulder at 65 mph by a truck who passed but did not clear us before coming back into the right lane.  We also had trucks come right up to the back of our camper within a few feet, seeming to want to intimidate us into driving faster.  I-40 through the Smoky Mountains, the truck speed limit is 50 and posted no trucks in the left lane, but neither seemed to deter many truckers.
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Good info, MC. Thanks for sharing. 

My most recent adventure (13 states, 8 weeks, 8500 miles in Oct/Nov) was a nice mix of interstates, state hwy's and roads, and some rural routes as well. I didn't use any travel apps. Just went old school...Rand McNally Road Atlas planning after dinner with a glass or two of wine and some Google Maps interface with onboard navigation in the TV. Route 66 thru four states, Hwy 61 "Blues Trail" in MS, Natchez Trace, SC Rte 174, etc.

Were there times I wished I'd had more robust nav and tracking info, yep. No question. Many times on rural routes I was left to wonder, "How in blazes did I end up here?" But, guess that was all part of the adventure. 

On the two lanes I did my best to be courteous to the local traffic who knew the road and had a schedule to keep. Find a spot, pull over. For me, the entire reason for taking the "road less travelled" was to enjoy the journey and find those hidden gems along the way. Didn't want to be rushed. Some of my best images were taken after asking myself, "Wonder where that road goes?" 

Will say that outbound from SoCal I took the interstate until I got two days travel from home. After that, and until I was back to within two days of being home again, I pretty much avoided any road that started with an "I". Had it to do over again, I'd probably spend even less time on the "I" roads...just another reason to get back out there! 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    AirBoss said:
    . . . outbound from SoCal I took the interstate until I got two days travel from home.
    . . . within two days of being home again, I pretty much avoided any road that started with an "I".

LOL :) .  I tend to do just the opposite once I'm a day or two from home after any trip > 10 days. I found myself looking for the shortest route and widest road.  I.E.  Interstates!

Admittedly it is with mixed feelings but the thought of a 40 gallon Hot Water Tank Shower and sleeping on a bed I could leave unmade seems to win out - - - - =)
  • Options
    Sorry if that wasn't clear! 😉. I'm with ya!

I hit the interstate right away for two days when  leaving home( I can see all that stuff anytime), and then again when I'm two days from home. 100% agree...a 65gal H20 heater and a CA. King bed are a wonderful things and after that much time on the road...the sooner the better!  
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    The worst part of any trip out of Socal is the first and last two hours. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @pthomas745
    Now, I dont' know if I'd go that far!  ;)

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    So far our travels (other than picking up the camper in GA) have been on one tank of gas.  Our last couple of trips We only traveled on back roads.  My biggest concern on the backroads is being able to find a gas station that has enough room to pull in and out of and also doesn’t have a angle that will take off the spare tire.  Have you had any issues fueling up at these little stations?
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    @Tampakayaker
    Yep, sure have. To your point, the stations off the "I" exits are fine. But travel the backroads and you really have to pay attention. Stopped in Dayton, TN area at an off brand mini-mart/fuel stop ("Hi Tech Fuel"..or some such thing), and while the "In" driveway was OK (barely) the "Out" drive was ridiculously steep...and short. No way I was going down that, spare tire or not. 

Had to back up from the pump, make a 5-point turn, then time my exit back out the "In" driveway. Couple folks left scratchin' their heads over that maneuver but I'd still be there if I hadn't! 

I'm a Chevron guy for the most part. Always use 89 octane. But many places through the south, Chevron is no where to be found. Gotta roll the dice sometimes!
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    Tampakayaker said:
    . . . concern on the backroads is being able to find a gas station . . .
    Have you had any issues fueling up at these little stations?
    No issues for me.  A few factors in my favor could be:
      +  In Western states small towns tend to get lots of farmer/rancher traffic and they all pull trailers
          Or it's a mountain recreation zone so toy trailers are very common.
      +  I try to drive less than one gas tank full miles per day, so many times have option to
           get fuel after setting up camp.
      +  Also I tend to over plan my trips and know which towns will be fuel stops
           . . . then I research with google street view to confirm acceptable gas
           stations are available.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    @MuttonChops - you and my DH need to hire out trip planning services!  I can’t say that we are very spontaneous, but we sleep well at night knowing we have planned well in advance.  I like the idea of just driving one tank of gas!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio