Options

State Affidavit camper as a Secondary Residence?

nmdreamnmdream Member Posts: 27
Left field question but may help someone else. Just curious for any thoughts or similar incidents. County sent me an "Affidavit for Qualification". Tax time and all filed. All is well with the world so far. They want me to certify the the 320S qualifies as a secondary home. IRS shows it as Separate sleeping cooking and toilet facilities.  The County letter states Distinct and separate, I don't see an issue, but I also do not recall taking any tax deductions for the camper. Anyone else familiar with the deduction, or why,  besides an obvious reduction. If I had to be critical , the 320S and sleeping area are in the same room. I would guess there has to be a divider to make it separate not just the walkway?. PLEASE Understand I am not looking for tax answers just possible prior experience . I will be calling the County Tax auditor in a few days to ask for clarification as to why the letter was sent. ( It is Tag Renewal time for the camper)
Thanks All ! 
Rob
2020 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate 181 HP w/Hayden 678 Rapid Cool
2019 T@B 320 S 

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    I suspect that the purpose is primarily for tax deduction purposes. A few years ago, I used an RV for a secondary residence and deducted the loan interest. With the changes in Standard Deductions in recent years, about the only way to exceed that and be able to itemize (where mortgage interest, donations, etc. can be used) is to either be self-employed or have extreme medical expenses. I am not sure there are any restrictions as to needing a divider or not, I am far from a CPA or Tax Advisor but then again that isn't what you asked for either. 

Personally, in recent years after those changes in Standard Deductions I never even supplied the IRS with the amount I paid in mortgage interest, donations or otherwise because it didn't matter anyway. I decided that it became "nonya" as in nonya business.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC