Options

Fan-Tastik fan upgrade - motor only?

Wondering if any of the more electrically-savvy owners would have an opinion on the feasibility of upgrading the motor only of an older Fan-Tastik fan that dates from the 2013 build date of my T@B. Here is the part number I'm hoping to use:
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-K801700-Fan-Motor/dp/B01N1MK7T9/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=dometic+fan+motor&qid=1625421654&sr=8-4
I already have a rain hood and do not need rain-detection, 10-speeds instead of 3-speeds, or remote control. I'm hoping that upgrading the motor will provide the benefits of being more energy efficient and quieter than my current fan, especially since it has developed a noticeable squeak when powering down.
Another question is whether the removal/installation can be safely done by me or whether I should leave it up to an RV mechanic. I'm hoping for a "2-wire" connection, lol.
2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited July 2021
    I think the challenge is that there are 2 distinctly different motors used. A longer smaller diameter and a shorter larger diameter (kind of like a pancake). The "pancake" design is a brushless motor vs the longer case being a brush type motor. There is a huge advantage for brushless in efficiency but it takes a different circuit board to be able to operate it. 

It is possible that you could get the upgrade kit (remote control with temperature control and 10 speeds) which has a jumper on the board that allows it to work with either fan motor and also order a replacement fan motor and bracket. I bought the upgrade kit when I had a 320-S and kept it when I traded in 2020 and installed the same kit in our 400 BDL, I just had to move the jumper as per the instructions for the brushless motor. 

I would call Dometic and speak with them, they own Fantastic Fan and will be able so guide you to the proper combination and/or best solution for the upgrade you are looking to do. Also, Dometic will sell directly to you if you don't wish to use a dealer anywhere. 

Brad

P.S. It is 2 wires at the edge of the fan opening. 
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    Thanks so much @Dutch061. I’ll update this post as I get further information from Dometic. 
  • Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    Update: the part number referenced above was a perfect fit for my 2014 T@B MAX (320 S), which was removed/replaced by an RV electrician as I have no such skills. Now that the old motor is out, I can see it is not spinning freely as it has a distinct squeak. The replacement fan is noticeably quieter and I'm hopeful that it will be less drain on the battery!
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Hopefully, they were able to replace it with the shorter larger diameter brushless motor. That will definitely reduce the power consumption.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC