Options

Alde Vent Blocked by AC Ducting

manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
Quick question. Does anybody notice that their insulated AC ducting is blocking some of the Alde ventilation holes underneath the dinette? Last trip I was feeling for heat from the holes and didn’t feel much but I could feel heat just forward of the ventilation holes. Took out a flashlight and could see that the AC duct was partially blocking those holes.

if you look at the screenshot from the factory tour you can see the 2019s had some kind of plastic deflector to shield and contain the duct from obscuring the vent hole. 

Functionally it seems like an easy fix but I’m wondering:

1. Can heat from the Adle melt that duct? Guessing no but who knows.

2. Is it easy to remove the panels to gain access to secure that duct? I see some pocket holes I can access but others are probably behind other panels. 

Just more questionable build practices I keep running into on this trailer. 

2021 400 BD
2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 

Comments

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    My take on this is that the system uses passive airflow around the convectors (you can see to the right in the picture above) and at the convectors the glycol can be as much at 170 degrees. It would cool as air flows over it entering from the floor opening and starting to rise so melting of the AC ducting seems unlikely. As the system has no forcing of airflow the partial blockage you describe would not be optimal but the warm air will still find its way up thru the grate or warm the cabinet which will also re radiate the heat. So not sure how much efficiency you would lose. And the fact that the 2021 has a grill rather than an open slot is actually an upgrade to the build that NuCamp likely got from owners, like myself, who have had to fish toys or keys or whatnot from the older open slots. and @Denny16 posted some good pictures of removal of the front dinette area on his 400 when his floor was replaced, if I could find them to share. Not that hard as I recall.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Thanks @qhumberd. Yeah, you can definitely feel the warmth on the cabinet itself. The duct doesn’t completely block the vent. Maybe a third of it. It seems like an easy fix if I can get behind that panel. 

Otherwise the system seems to do a really good job of heating the space.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Here is the thread with those pictures and a description of taking the cabinets loose in the 400

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9522/tab-400-move-of-dinette-usb-and-addition-of-12v-outlet#latest

• Options
    Thanks @qhumberd

Wow, so it is just those two screws holding that in? Should be a really easy fix.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    I hope so. I am trying to find time to tap and move the outlet under the dinette in my 400. Something I think they changed for the better in your model, so NuCamp does pay attention to what the users experience it seems. Maybe you could help us out with some better pictures of the disassembled area when you do it. Just make sure to size them small since the moderators are watching 😊

• Options
    Will do. And yes, those pesky image sizes...gotta watch those!
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    No dice. I knew there had to be more screws holding it in. Looks like you have to remove both dinette seat bottoms to gain access to the additional screws. Project for another time I guess. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road