Options

Burned out turn signal and brake light

I hope this is not a dumb question and I hope I am describing it correctly...
My right turn signal and brake light are not working however the LED is lit up in the tail light/running light position.  Is the light burned out or is something else going on?

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Is your TV right signal and brake light working?  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    Two items you can quickly check are:
    First, is your 7-pin connector clean and dry.
    Second are your Tow Vehicle fuses OK.
        Most tow vehicles have different fuses for the trailer running lights and turn/brake light circuits.

Knowing your Tow Vehicle make/yr and T@B model/year would be helpful.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Likely NOT burned out, either tow vehicle circuit not working or the seven pin connector needs cleaned. The led's in the assembly are the same for all light functions, they just light up brighter for the turn and brake functions, so if tail lights work, the others probably do too once power gets to them. FYI, the tail light units are sealed, if they do have issues, it is a replace the entire assembly.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    jtalarekjtalarek Member Posts: 19
    Yes, the tow vehicle brake lights and turn signal are working.  The tow vehicle gave a message that the turn signal light was burned out but I suspect it just did not sense a connection.  Will try cleaning the 7-prong wiring harness and keep you posted.  Thanks so much for the information.
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    edited July 2021
    A great thing to add to your tool kit is a 7 pin plug tester. To use it, simply plug it in. It takes all of the guesswork out of troubleshooting your connections, plugs and lights. These are available everywhere...Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, any auto parts, anywhere that sells tow hitch gear.
    If you decide you need to clean the plug, only use a proper contact cleaner like CRC. Do not spray silicon or put any other products on the connectors. They are designed to be self lubricating. 
  • Options
    Great tips, tabiphile, thanks.  You anticipated my next questions.  I also wonder if they make a weather resistant cap to put over the 7-prong plug when not in use.  I will look for something like that as well.
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @jtalarek
    They do make such covers for the umbilical plug.  I dont see a brand name on mine but a google search will probably find them--there are several; on the market.  I have seen them at Northern Tool.
    When you get one, be sure the plug is facing UP when you stow the umbilical.  If you hang the plug down (as would seem to be logical at first) water will seep into the cap and the plug will be stowed in a puddle of water.  If the plug is facing up there will be no water (from rain at least--I dunno about floods) seeping into the cap.

• Options
    Turns out it was a bad bulb - although my 7 prong plug was pretty gritty so I'm glad I cleaned it.  My local trailer and truck service center was able to have the bulb sent overnight (thanks Elsie) and squeezed me in to replace it! Thanks again for all the great tips
    In the process the trim piece around the lights was removed and replaced 3 times and the soft, gooy sealant NuCamp applied at each screw hole is pretty well shot.  I have already gotten some water leaking in the back.  Does anyone know what kind of a product that is?  I tried to describe it at 2 local hardware stores and they had no idea.  
  • Options
    chpivchpiv Member Posts: 20
    I would like to know too.  I had to replace the driver’s side tail light as several of the led lights in the assembly were not working.  The tail light is actually held in place by the factory applied goop.
    2015 Little Guy T@B Outback
    2017 Toyota Tacoma Offroad
    Bishop, CA
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 418
    At the risk of hijacking this thread the LEDs in our '19 CSS license frame are dying.  Sure would be nice if LEDs delivered on their claimed longevity.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    jtalarek said:
    . . . the soft, gooy sealant NuCamp applied at each screw hole is pretty well shot.
    . . . Does anyone know what kind of a product that is?
    . . . I tried to describe it at 2 local hardware stores and they had no idea.  

I've seen this question asked on many different forums, mostly car body repair threads and older boat project threads.  While I am not an expert on these materials.

The Best answer seems to be it is an industrial** use Butyl Rubber sealant.  It is waterproof, remains flexible, and can flex quite a bit while remaining water tight.
    ** which explains why local hardware stores are clueless

A page of McMaster-Carr catalog sounds like the type of 'stuff' being used.
    Amazon has a few listed, here's one:

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Thank you.  I also reached out to NuCamp Service and Austen responded saying they use Geocel 2300 MHRV at the factory.