Empty Space Under 400 Begging for Storage…Maybe

manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
edited July 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
Does anybody think this big empty space under the trailer could be used for storage? Obviously limited height and opening but I could see maybe attaching an ABS tube to the frame and keeping an outdoor carpet or fishing poles there…or something. Maybe it’s not worth crouching down to use it but thought I’d throw it out there. Maybe I can throw my kid down there when he’s acting up.

2021 400 BD
2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 

Comments

• qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    Most folks find that space to be an entry point for mice or other critters to get to the floor and then into the cabinets of the 400. I am planning to put an piece of wire gutter screen over each end but I can see the utility of poles and other fairly light things. They would be resting on the undercover which I gather is not a particularly strong material so the bouncing might be hard on it as well. Now that I have written this I am opting just to close it to mice.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Yeah. I’ve read about the potential for mice. I wouldn’t store anything directly on the coroplast undercover. Some kind of abs pipe strapped to the frame might work. Again this is all theory. Don’t yet need the space but who knows in the future.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited July 2021
    On both sides I’ve put magnetic vent covers over the openings to aid in cold weather protection.  I painted them flat black to blend in with the frame.  On the street side, I have wrapped heat tape over the freshwater tank drain/pickup line, and leave the plug end coiled up just inside the opening.  I remove the magnetic cover and pull out the plug end when I need freeze protection, and the cover is flexible enough to close up around the cord hanging out.
    Awesome mod. If we decide we want to use the trailer for extended periods into winter I think I’d look into this for sure. I really wish Nucamp would’ve just made this area enclosed and heated but I get the added complexity of running glycol tubes and everything. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • CJaxCJax Member Posts: 62
    @manyman297 , I am in the process of pre-fabricating mouse covers for these openings on the T@B 400 which I haven't received yet (but any day now...)

If you have handy access and a free moment with your favorite tape measure, could you kindly post the dimensions of these openings? My goal is to do as much as I can with anticipated mods so I can just slap them on when I receive the T@B.

Thanks!
    Cheers,
    C
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock 'Valhalla'
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V6
    veni, vidi, bibi capulus
    CJax said:
    @manyman297 , I am in the process of pre-fabricating mouse covers for these openings on the T@B 400 which I haven't received yet (but any day now...)

If you have handy access and a free moment with your favorite tape measure, could you kindly post the dimensions of these openings? My goal is to do as much as I can with anticipated mods so I can just slap them on when I receive the T@B.

Thanks!
    Cheers,
    C
    It’s 8” wide X 3 3/8” tall.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • CJaxCJax Member Posts: 62
    Thank you @manyman297
    Cheers,
    C
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock 'Valhalla'
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V6