Options

Route Planning in Western U.S. = Ramblings =

MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
As a child the family always took a summer vacation road trip based out of New Mexico that tended to follow the theme of Dad getting back to salt water, a strong memory of his youth. While I remember events of those trips not so much about the routes, why should I Dad or one of the older brothers handled that. There are however strong memories of seeing interstate highway construction crews and the pleasure of getting on new sections of the highway so we no longer had to follow or pass 120 HP smoking diesel trucks along long 2-lane US highways. Guess I'm dating myself with that memory.

Starting with Military Service I became the planner and driver for several west coast to New Mexico leaves . . . and had great adventures in a no air conditioning, no 4-wheel drive, regular cab pick-up truck. . . adventures that included driving Route-66 across the Mojave just before I-40 was fully opened. So I've ridden or driven the original Route-66 from California to New Mexico three times as I-40 was open on my leave return trip.

Those service years were followed by raising a family in the PNW and years of trips back home to New Mexico for me or central California for my spouse. Add in our own family vacations and my T@B travels so all in all I've driven every interstate and major highway between Seattle, Helena, Bakersfield, and El Paso. That makes planning a 'new' and 'interesting' next T@B adventure route very challenging. At least now I have time on my side . . . just need to remember to slow down and enjoy the adventure.

This long preamble brings us to the point of the current Route Planning Challenge. Finding an interesting or different route to/from Mesa AZ from/to the PNW. There really are a limited number of highways in the western states and there are even fewer roads that travel the 'hypotenuse' of a right triangle . . . one is forced to drive the legs to get from point A to B.

The initial approach to routing this trip was what is most direct. Time wise that is of course the interstates while miles wise it is a mixture of interstates and US/State highways. Then stopping points were added in . . . both long driving day and retired driving day mileage options. . . but all resulted in I've driven that road X times, been there X times. So the routing goal was adjusted to; Routes that most of, well as much as possible, have not been driven before. And a route that avoids county gravel roads and still has interesting small towns, potential camping spots, and keeps the entire trip under 30 days. That is not as easy as in sounds.

Hopefully you are laughing now; been there, know that feeling kind of laugh or his mess happens when you have a “need to know what's next” personality confronted with there is no clear solution beyond just taking things as they come world. Taking thing as they come is truly beyond my brain's comfort zone.

Today the 'plan' is to drive east to Nebraska and take US-385 south, then head back west at Seminole Texas. So I've got to get into the Great Plains to find a north-south 'new' road in the western states?

For the return am thinking of driving west to Joshua Tree NP then over to north US-395 as most of US-395 in California I have not driven.

Am sure others face similar issues while route planning or at least those of us that need a planned route.

I'm feeling positive about this plan . . .

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @MuttonChops, you will enjoy the drive along Hwy 395 in California.  If you are camping near Bodie Ghost Town (south of Bridgeport) and will unhitch, you might check it out.  I have been there several times.  South of Mono Lake, be sure to take the June Lake Loop for some nice scenery (four lakes along the loop.)  There is a nice pond behind the Silver Lake Resort Store, which has some large trout for your viewing pleasure.  Sorry, no fishing allowed.  Alabama Hills west of Lone Pine (right off Hwy 395) is a nice place to boondock, even if just for one night.  Good view of Mt. Whitney from there.  Sounds like you have a nice trip planned.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    @MuttonChops "Taking thing as they come is truly beyond my brain's comfort zone."  Right there with you! 
    I can't help you with the routes, but you may want to check out the YouTube channel "From She to Me" as they live in CA somewhere and are often driving to Spokane with sightseeing along the way. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5