Options

Wal-Mart overnighting info source

ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
edited July 2015 in Camping & Travel
Here're the generally followed guidelines for taking advantage of Wal-Mart's overnight parking.

And the Yahoo Wal-Mart RVing group has a bunch of info about what stores allow it, etc. at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/walmartrving/files
Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
2014 S Maxx
2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The AllStays app color codes the Walmarts for camping allowed or not ... Red W = No ... Blue W = Yes.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have seen those "rules" before, but never this document. It is very nice.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I hadn't realized that AllStays showed Wal-Marts. I thought it was only good for campgrounds. 

I guess I should look a little harder at these apps I've purchased... Oh brother.

Thanks PXL, that's handy.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Chan - That's about all I use AllStays for anymore since it's missing so many types of campgrounds I've come to rely on UltimateCG.
  • Options
    I'll have to see if UltimateCG is available on Android...

On my long drive to NM was looking up Wal-Mart locations, & their phone numbers to chat with the store manager about their overnight rules, by using the database that Bill Halberstadt maintains (and I think he's pretty continuously updating the list).

The database is in a standard point-of-interest file format, and was able to plug into the "POI-Loader" app. There are other poi databases that list all the rest-areas on the interstates, and tell about their facilities.

It'd be nice if all these things were in one app though.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Ultimate Campgrounds and RVParky are also available on the web. I try to do as much planning ahead of time as possible.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited July 2015
    "Planning" - What language is that?
    Don't always have a net connection so the web doesn't work as well for me - Sometimes, neither do the apps but they seem to cache better and the databases are built in - at least all the basic stuff.
  • Options
    No net - that's when Streets & Trips and the Mega POI file comes in handy. It is pretty much where most of these websites and app gets their data from.