Options

Cool Cat Cooling Performance

In any weather above 90 our Cool Cat really struggles to keep the interior cool. Understandably if it’s nearing 100 degrees most AC will struggle to keep any interior cool but here’s what I’ve noticed while it’s been in the mid 80s:

It’s 85 degrees outside. Cool Cat is running continuously for the past hour and a half and hasn’t gotten up to temp. It feels fine if you’re near a duct (like sitting on the bed) but my interior temp is reading upper 70s still. 

The temperature from the front ducts are 44-47 degrees and the bed is 45. Outside vent is 120 degrees. Does that sound right?

The only issue I can see is the driver’s side of the trailer has been in the sun all day and even during the evening that side is still exposed a bit to the sun. 

We haven’t really had a chance to test the AC out “in the field” so these driveway tests are all I’ve really done.
2021 400 BD
2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 

Comments

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    So our 2019 400 has just been through a hot week of camping in TN and on return in my driveway the temps were high 90s and humidity also in 90s. When the trailer is heat soaked I found the unit takes around an hour to drop the temp to a comfortable range. However it is noticeably cooler in about 15-20 min. I have not measured the duct temps but they feel quite cold. I have the control on High fan and Cool mode (not auto) and the temp drops to the high 70s and the humidity in the trailer to the 50-60 range after about an hour. Hoping your leaking duct work was the problem as we seem to have the same Coolcat units. Also we have to close the blinds to block direct sun into the windows or it takes a lot longer.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,184
    I'm really hoping that solving that leaky plenum issue improves the cooling. I swear it used to cool better when we first got it back in early June. Closing the blinds is one of those "why didn't I think of that" issue I haven't tried yet either. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    SuzAlleySuzAlley Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2021
    These sound like good ideas, I’m not handy and apparently not mechanically inclined. I tried putting it on high on the cool setting for 74*, seems to work for about 5 mins, then it cycles off to just warm fan. Maybe the duct works is loose and the thermostat reads it as already cooled? Where is the thermostat that reads the inside temp?? I don’t see a temperature reading on the panel.  All my blinds and windows closed too. Even tried opening the ceiling fantastic fan to draw up the hot air.
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    @SuzAlley, you make no mention of what model you have, is it a 400? What year is it? Can make a lot of difference.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC