Hot weather storage

DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
We have a 2021 T@B 320S Boondock, and we got a surprise!

We got a call telling us our trailer was making beeping noises... We rushed out to where it was sitting and sure enough the CO warning device was going off. That was the start of the adventure.

The problem was probably bug spray and cleaners stored in the trailer. The CO warning device warns of chemicals setting things off under some vague circumstances. So the CO device is fine and the chemicals are gone out of the trailer. Long lead in here, but I"m getting to the question.

On the temperature gauge I found the trailer had hit 52C inside that day. That would just about cook breakfast, so small wonder it cooked stuff stored in the trailer. Now the question...

For those living in warm climates... do you leave vents or windows open when storing your trailer? I can see a small bit of airflow would solve some of the heat issue, but you would likely want a window and the roof vent cracked... But that leaves the trailer open when unused.

Any thoughts? This isn't a problem that Canadians have often, but this past month has seen lots of 35C days.

What's your normal practice for dealing with the heat?

Thanks.         ...Doug
...Doug

2021 T@B 320S Boondock, Chevy Avalanche, Happy wife.

Comments

• webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    edited August 2021
    My 320 sits in full sun when not used, 110F inside is not unusual in the summer, even with the windows and the roof vent cracked. Never had any issues after 3 summers, the only time the CO sensor was going off was when the CO sensor battery was low.
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    webers3 said:
    My 320 sits in full sun when not used, 110F inside is not unusual in the summer, even with the windows and the roof vent cracked. Never had any issues after 3 summers, the only time the CO sensor was going off was when the CO sensor battery was low.
    Thanks for that insight.
    ...Doug

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    The CO detector is hard wired, so low voltage on the TaB battery will cause it to alarm before it fails.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    The CO detector is hard wired, so low voltage on the TaB battery will cause it to alarm before it fails.
    Good thought. I checked the history on the solar converter, and the lowest voltage in that period was about 12.2. We were having good sunlight through that period as well as warm temperatures. With no fridge running the largest draw was the Jensen stereo clock, and the solar did a stellar job keeping the battery up to par. 

In the manual there is mention of conflicts with aerosols, and that I believe. Once we aired out the trailer and removed the aerosols the CO monitor returned to normal, again along with the manual prediction.

I suspect the very high temperature caused some leakage of the aerosols. We didn't sniff in the trailer much (CO warning) until well after it was thoroughly aired out. There was some odd doors even then.

...Doug
    ...Doug

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    If you do leave the vent cracked and if you don’t have a vent cover over the vent itself make sure you secure the vent handle if it’s got a handle.  Wind will buffet the top up if the lift handle isn’t secured in place.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ