Options

Ceiling gaps in front cubby area

rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
edited August 2021 in Tips & Tricks
Our 2021 400 has developed gaps on both sides of the front cubbies that cannot be screwed back in. It seems like they aren't screwed into anything substantial in the ceiling. I can almost let it go as a minor cosmetic issue, but the LED strip lighting shines through the gaps and makes them stand out.
While they don't seem to be expanding further, I would like to get these gaps fixed or at least covered. I reached out to Help and Warranty POCs at nuCamp but if they come back with nothing to try, I thought about covering the gaps with trim. Does anyone have a suggestion on what might work?

2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    edited August 2021
    I have gaps about the same size as yours and interestingly they didn’t even screw them to the ceiling from the factory. Aesthetically I’m glad they didn’t because I’m sure you’re seeing the silhouette of the screw when the accent lights are on. Functionally I wish they did because without them I don’t like how flimsy that wood feels without being screwed to the ceiling.

I think they should just use thicker ply for those pieces and forgo screws altogether. 

We don’t even use those areas for storage so it’s a non issue for us but I could see it being annoying to look at. 

One fix I was thinking about would be to put some thin material behind that gap to at least fill the gap so light doesn’t shine through. Maybe scribe the curvature on some 1/4” ply, paint it white and apply on the backside. Not the most elegant solution though. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    rhyno, the upper cubbies are more than adequately co strutted for what they are, small spaces to put light weight items.  They are not intended for any heavy loads, and the front facing part is not structural, or load bearing, so it is more than thick enough.  You do not want a lot of weight up high in a RV.

Our 2018 TaB400 has one side still fairly close to the ceiling, the other side by the door has a larger gap than what you show.  The ceiling is a one piece aluminum sheet on the outside over an aluminum ladder type frame, filled with foam and a headliner on the inside, so there isn’t anything in the ceiling to attach the front cubbies to.  They are attached very firmly to the head wall on the left/driver’s side and the door assembly framing on the pax/right side.  The shelf is not going to fall down.

On a trailer, the sides and roof move (same in a boat) and shift, so having the front faces up forward on the cubbies float prevents a hard spot hitting the inside ceiling headliner, a d causing a dent.  If the gap bothers you, you can use some gap filling acrylic caulk to fill the gap (I would use white), and use a small damp sponge to create a cove (or your finger) and wipe up and excess.  This will allow for the flex movement and fill the gap.  B)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    I should clarify that mine doesn't have the screw you have going into the ceiling but the panel has the pocket hole drilled with the plastic insert...just no screw. So maybe at some point in 2021 they decided to stop attaching it to the ceiling. I still think that wood is flimsy...I can imagine pulling something out of that cubby and catching that fascia piece and causing some kind of damage. We just don't use it (yet). 

@Denny16 idea of caulking that gap could work but my guess is it'll look worse than it does now. Check out the silicone bead in the bathroom between the walls and the ceiling. Mine shows signs of bulging and stretching (due to the walls moving separately from the ceiling).

2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited August 2021
    Mine is not screwed to the ceiling either on a 2018 TaB400.  Never noticed the light leak in the top gap, but check it the other day, it is not really an issue for me, and the light/shadow the gap creates just adds a bit of relief to the roof line, like a bead at the top of ceiling/wall modeling used in times past.  
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 994
    I have a very early build 2021 400 and the off-door side, larger cubby, is screwed into the ceiling with a pocket or counter sunk screw.  Not sure what you call those things?  The smaller side by the door is not screwed in as I don't believe there is room.  However both sides are still tight after almost 17 months of ownership and over 3000 miles of travel.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    @rhyno I was messing around with my FLIR thermal camera (troubleshooting my fridge) and saw that there is actually an aluminum support that spans across the roof where that screw should be screwed into. I wasn't sure if you attempted to tighten it back or not. Maybe they completely missed that aluminum beam when they screwed it in?
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    @manyman297 the screw definitely missed the rail and just spins. I will see if I can figure out where it is in relation to the original hole. 
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO