Options

Water in new t@b 320 when traveling on wet roads

PmullallyPmullally Member Posts: 8
edited September 2021 in Trailer & Towing
We are new owners of a t@b 320. Earlier this summer, we had water on the floor of our t@b after travelling in the rain. It never happens when the t@b is stationary. I assumed it was coming up through the wheel wells. We took it to a t@b dealer in Moncton (Canada) and they assessed all the hoses and plumbing and even took a hose to the outside and underneath but could not determine how water is turning up on the floor. It occurred a second time while traveling in the rain and we are unable to determine how water is getting in. Has anyone else experienced this with the new 2021 320 t@b? We thought it might be coming in through the door but it appears to have a good seal. Again it only happens when we travel on rain days.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Do you have your rooftop vent open?  In 7 years of leaving the roof vent open under either an AeroFlo vent cover or my current MaxAire cover, I had rain come in the MaxAire cover during a monsoon rain event (and what a show Mother Nature gave us!). None of my covers have leaked during travel, so I’m just putting my thoughts out there for you. 

The second thought is that a few 400 T@B owners had front windows that leaked over the past year. As I recall, they applied caulk to the window….a search of window leaks would give you more info. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Hi Verna, thanks for your suggestions. There was only water on the floor and no where else. Both times we could not locate the source. We will check the seal on the vent next time we drive in rain. It’s a strange mystery as I watched the service department spray water everywhere’s and no water showed up inside.

Verna said:
    Do you have your rooftop vent open?  In 7 years of leaving the roof vent open under either an AeroFlo vent cover or my current MaxAire cover, I had rain come in the MaxAire cover during a monsoon rain event (and what a show Mother Nature gave us!). None of my covers have leaked during travel, so I’m just putting my thoughts out there for you. 

The second thought is that a few 400 T@B owners had front windows that leaked over the past year. As I recall, they applied caulk to the window….a search of window leaks would give you more inf

• Options
    SusanDSusanD Member Posts: 87
    @Pmullally I have had this very same problem.  The vent isn't open - and nothing above is wet (like the cushions or the front counter). My thought is that it might be coming in from the door.  Would love to know if solve the puzzle.
    2021 Tab320S Boondock, 2019 Subaru Outback 2.5
  • Options
    tteamtteam Member Posts: 25
    We have had water the enter through the door on our 2020 when traveling in rain. The wheel well area seemed dry. Looking at the door from the inside we could see some light.  Added some more weather stripping, but have yet to travel in rain this year to see if it solved the issue.

We have water spotting in the back behind the AC which NuCamp says was from the AC, but that only has run once since we had it.

Tteam, Wisconsin
    2020 TAB 320S Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    edited August 2021
    The other area to check is the A/C under the rear passenger side.  There are two vent holes cut in the floor.  You can see these from the outside clearly.   There is rubber gasketing around them but if the A/C unit has bumped up/down and dislodged it or even slightly moved them, you can get water inside from the wheel/road spray when its raining outside.  Once it splashes in and hits the floor, the water can and will run all over.  I definitely experienced this.  Its not complicated to pull the A/C unit and check however it is fairly heavy and it would be prudent to have help or have your dealer look. Perhaps the first check could be from the outside with a light and see if you can detect some problems with the gasketing.  

@SusanD - I recall seeing your posts around for awhile.  If you have an earlier 2021 T@B 320S, there was a problem with the mechanism used to hold the A/C unit in place.  The fastener to hold the webbing that keeps the unit it place could easily pull out and the A/C unit would slide forward thus mis-aligning the floor holes and the vents and let water in.  If you haven't had the update applied, I would strongly consider getting it.  You can tell by looking at the front of the A/C unit from the inside.  If there is a piece of metal angle screwed to the floor at the front, then you have the fix.  If you don't and only see a piece of blue webbing, then you (probably) don't.
    Good luck! 
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    SusanD said:
    @Pmullally I have had this very same problem.  The vent isn't open - and nothing above is wet (like the cushions or the front counter). My thought is that it might be coming in from the door.  Would love to know if solve the puzzle.
    Looks like there are some great tips here. Will let you know if we get it resolved.
  • Options
    Thanks, I will take a better look at the door. They sprayed it when it was stationary but perhaps the movement of driving prevents a good seal.
    tteam said:
    We have had water the enter through the door on our 2020 when traveling in rain. The wheel well area seemed dry. Looking at the door from the inside we could see some light.  Added some more weather stripping, but have yet to travel in rain this year to see if it solved the issue.

We have water spotting in the back behind the AC which NuCamp says was from the AC, but that only has run once since we had it.

• Options
    Check AC location - got it. Thanks again.

mntrails said:
    The other area to check is the A/C under the rear passenger side.  There are two vent holes cut in the floor.  You can see these from the outside clearly.   There is rubber gasketing around them but if the A/C unit has bumped up/down and dislodged it or even slightly moved them, you can get water inside from the wheel/road spray when its raining outside.  Once it splashes in and hits the floor, the water can and will run all over.  I definitely experienced this.  Its not complicated to pull the A/C unit and check however it is fairly heavy and it would be prudent to have help or have your dealer look. Perhaps the first check could be from the outside with a light and see if you can detect some problems with the gasketing.  

@SusanD - I recall seeing your posts around for awhile.  If you have an earlier 2021 T@B 320S, there was a problem with the mechanism used to hold the A/C unit in place.  The fastener to hold the webbing that keeps the unit it place could easily pull out and the A/C unit would slide forward thus mis-aligning the floor holes and the vents and let water in.  If you haven't had the update applied, I would strongly consider getting it.  You can tell by looking at the front of the A/C unit from the inside.  If there is a piece of metal angle screwed to the floor at the front, then you have the fix.  If you don't and only see a piece of blue webbing, then you (probably) don't.
    Good luck! 

• Options
    @mntrails thanks for the info! I likely have an earlier one, bought it Aug 2020. Heading off on a camping trip this week so will check it out. The AC was definitely on my short list of possible sources but I couldn't figure where it would have come from.
  • Options
    @Pmullally Did you ever find the source of the problem?  I haven't been towing in the rain this year but last night it was pouring here and I notice that there is a ton of condensation on the rubber ring around the door, leaving a big puddle on the floor this morning.  I'm wondering if this was the problem and what to do about it.
  • Options
    It was pouring today while I was driving and again, the floor of the camper was soaked -like puddles.  I checked the AC area and it has been fastened down.  I just don't have a clue where it's coming in.  The bench by the door shows water damage but so does the bottom of the wood beside the AC unit.  I'm attaching a few pictures. Any help is greatly appreciated! 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Did you check inside the bench at the wheel wells?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Yes, on the passenger side it was soaked but again, no obvious entry point.  It looks sealed to me.  
  • Options
    FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    Another possible source of water is the space between the bottom of the door and the door frame. If the water is wind driven from driving there may be no visible indication when you open the door because it has been forced inside. I know our 2020 320 had quite a gap and I placed a 3M silicone seal strip, weather stripping for doors on the bottom outside of the door to seal our gap. 

2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM @Freespirit Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll stuff some cloth at the base of the door and around the AC tomorrow and see if either area seems to be the source.  Four more days of driving ahead. Sure hope the rain stops!
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @SusanD, while it looks tight around the wheel wells, an easy way to check for gaps in that area is to have a completely dark interior of the rv and have someone shine a flashlight from outside upward into the wheel well area. Have the person inside check for any visible incoming light. You should reverse the process with it dark outside under the wheel well, and the outside person checking for light through any cracks from the person inside with the flashlight. Light penetration is sometimes more easily visible than just a visual inspection of the area for gaps. Good luck. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 377
    edited October 2021
    Hi,  The light idea by @dragonsdofly sounds like a great idea.  Another thought is to take it to a hand car wash (or use a garden hose at home) and spray up  and into the bottom exterior and check one section at a time.?  Maybe put some paper towels in some interior spots/locations and you may be able to see when a section or area gets wet.  Good luck.
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Thanks very much for the ideas.  There wasn't as much rain as I expected today so no leaks.  Will see what happens when I finish my trip up next week.  Also, big thanks for the info on the seals.  The guy at the RV place told me to inspect my seals annually but I didn't ask any questions at the time and had no idea what I was supposed to check for so this really helps. 
  • Options
    Just a quick update, it was raining on my drive home today. I put rags in all of areas of concern and found the source of the leak - in front of the wheel well on passenger side. Next task, sealing, sanding and restaining.  Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Nice job locating the leak!  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @SusanD...we also found water on our floor, thankfully a rug found it for us...we believe ours has come from a shifted Air 8...obviously missing the elwell bracket as we can see the ground thru the screening..dealer has been notified...warranty next...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada