Options

How do you run the refrigerator under different circumstances?

I know that there is controversy about running the refrigerator on propane while traveling, so I assume most of you run it on battery to stay cold while moving. But once you get to an RV park, do you switch it to propane or to shore power? While at home, lets say the night before departing on a camping trip, what energy source do you use to get the refrigerator cold and to stay cold until you get on the road? Just trying to figure all of this out before our first real camping trip. 
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I use the TV battery setting while traveling. Shore power if I have it but most campgrounds I'm at don't and propane otherwise.
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    For weekend trips <4 hours on the road we've used the fridge like a cooler, loading food and ice frozen in water bottles. When we get to campsite, hook up to shore power and go. It has gotten plenty cold every time, even in AZ  >100° summer. The one time we tried propane, it never got that cold. We haven't boondocked yet.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    On 110 elec at home started the day before and set on the coldest temp.  Reusable frozen "ice" packed inside with the food and then it is used as a cooler on travel days,  it stays plenty cool.  In camp with hookups we run on electricity and with no hookups we run on propane.  

I use to run my fridge on propane when traveling in my class C, I don't do that anymore.  
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    I am curious, I have had no problem keeping the refrigerator cold on propane.  I made the mistake of starting it on propane and not turning the selector switch back to temperature selection and yes it didn't stay cool.  I wonder if others might have made this error?
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    I use the TV battery setting while traveling. Shore power if I have it but most campgrounds I'm at don't and propane otherwise.

Ditto

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    jdargis - That's a real possibility - Have almost forgot myself.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited July 2015
    Battery while on the road, 110 while on shore power, including at home, and propane when boondocking.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    If I remember correctly, the CS - clamshell models don't support the refrigerator running on propane.  I know I don't have any sort of switch.  I've run the refrigerator mostly on commercial power and rarely from the battery.  If I pack it full, it is mostly plenty cold and tends to freeze the items in the back.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual