Options

Nothing worse than an old dongle!

Well, while traveling out west we are dry camping half of our 2 month adventure.  So I got a bug to upgrade from our PWM Renogy controller to a Victron 75/15 MPPT.  I wanted to be one of the cool kids and NETWORK!  We have a Victron BMV 700 with a Bluetooth dongle added in 2017 and we already can monitor via the display and VictronConnect, so what could be simpler, right?

We found a local supplier near Colorado Springs (Colorado Standby), who had an uninitiated, but previously installed controller at an almost 30% discount - score!  Today, we set it up only to find that the old dongle would not network!  So, after a little research I discovered that the VE Direct Smart Dongle that networks (Model ASS030536011) was available on Amazon and can be delivered to a nearby Hub Locker.  The old dongle was factory installed before the shower wall was secured to the front counter, so, we probably will end up snipping the old dongle as it is secured with screwed in clips that we can’t reach.  I sure hope we can thread the new dongle wire using a short fish tape.  

I considered just replacing the easily accessible shunt with a SmartShunt which I think will still allow the use of the display.  I don’t think the BMV 712 is compatible with the hardwired display, so, I would be left with a hole in the wall.  Fingers crossed the new, upgraded dongle works!
Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments