Options

Does anyone get over 20 mpg while towing a TAB?

2»

Comments

• Options
    DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 80
    @qhumberd I give up, how did you get a 38 gal gas tank in your Tacoma????
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    In flat FL I get 12 to 15 MPG towing with a 2006 RAM 1600 4 door with an 8 cylinder.  Without towing on the same routes, I can get about 21 to 23.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    ChopinChopin Member Posts: 40
    15-17 mpg depending on speed, towing 2021 320S with 2019 Subaru Outback 2.5L. Usually tow 55-60 mph. Without towing usually 28-29 mpg highway. 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    +1 what @DanManz said!
    DanManz said:

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Probably added an aftermarket tank, unsure on Taco's, but very common to upsize the tank on GM, Ford and Ram pickups. A number of aftermarket suppliers.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    edited September 2021
    In general to answer the OP question, to consistently break 20 mpg towing will require a smaller tow vehicle with diesel power like a 1/2 ton of less pickup with a 3l diesel or so. Keeping speed down below 65 also helps immensely, you are on vacation, drive like it.

I have post about this previously, but consumer level vehicles are designed for efficiency lightly loaded, no towing, etc. They for the most part choke severely when loaded. Despite many comments about a teardrop being aerodynamic, they aren't, you could probably get same MPG towing a box trailer.

Now for the shocker, I know more than one semi truck breaking 10 MPG loaded, that makes a small TV here towing a Tab look absolutely pathetic at 12-13 MPG. Those trucks are up around 500 HP and turn about 1500 RPM or less going down the highway fully loaded.

2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 138
    With the fill wind load that the front of a Tab presents, perhaps a roof wind deflector on the TV would increase efficiency?
    2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    @CanadianTabber - your countryman Slim Potatohead mounted a snowboard on the back of his TV.  I believe he gained 1-2 mpg!

https://youtu.be/9bvaEYFTKS4
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    PintoplumberPintoplumber Member Posts: 168
    Got back from a camping trip today with the 2017 suburban, I was pleased with getting 17-18 and at one point it tickled 19.0. I was only going 55mph.
    2016 320 CS-S  1954 Ford F100  2017 Chevy suburban 
  • Options
    CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 138
    @CanadianTabber - your countryman Slim Potatohead mounted a snowboard on the back of his TV.  I believe he gained 1-2 mpg!

https://youtu.be/9bvaEYFTKS4
    Haha..i like my snowboard too much for that🙂
    2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    SamrollseyesSamrollseyes Member Posts: 29
    I get anywhere between 14.5 mpg to 23.5 mpg with my 2017 T@B  S depending on myriads of factors, some I don't comprehend🙄. My TV is a 2020 Subaru Onyx (turbo). I'm not sure how much altitude is a factor but my base elevation is 4900 feet and I only up from there. Of course, climbing does negatively impacts my mpg (hence the 14.5 mpg) as does interstate travel (I usually travel at 68-70 mph on the interstate-here in Idaho most interstate speed limits are 80 mph so cars fly past me). If I'm on state highways or other slower roadways my mileage improves- sometimes dramatically. I travel with all my tanks empty and I did just replace my tires; that seemed to help my mpg. also, Idaho is QUITE windy and that also can change my mpg, depending on wind direction. With my gas tank (18 gallons, near enough) I plan to fuel up every 3 hours or so-approx 150-175 miles for a comfortable margin. I get in the range of 26-28 mpg while not towing.
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    edited September 2021
    DanManz said:
    To clarify we have Tundra (not Tacoma) 2016 CrewCab 5.7 V8 with SR5 upgrade and tow package and they apparently come with a 38 gal tank. At current prices I try to never let it get empty to avoid financial depression at the pump. I mis typed my prior comment (now corrected)

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    Like the Subaru Ascent driver, our Subaru Outback Onyx XT is mostly driven back and for the to work, i.e. without the trailer. 60 to 70mph towing a 320 is 16mpg no wind. Off the major roads, 50 to 55mph will give me 17mpg or slightly more. 75mph when I have to for traffic is less than 15mph. Again these are estimates for no wind. Each 10kt of headwind is -1mpg. Fortunately tail winds are the opposite. If Texas had hills maybe I'd get better mileage like our friend from Idaho.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    akarjalaakarjala Member Posts: 8
    I get right around 16mpg and 330 miles between fill ups with my 2017 Nissan Titan XD Diesel.  When I bought the pickup, I was hoping to get closer to 20mpg, but overall, the diesel pickup has made it so I must remind myself that there is a trailer behind me!
    2018 T@B 400, aka T@batha
    Towed by a white 2017 4x4 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X, 5.0L Diesel, aka Prometheus
  • Options
    MarcoMarco Member Posts: 18
    I get 20-21 mpg on flat and 18mpg going uphill like recent trip to Big Bend. I'm pulling a 2017 320S using 2018 Chevy Colorado Diesel.  I usually get 31 mpg highway driving and city at 23-24 without towing. 525 mile range. It was a big difference compared to my previous hauler which was a 2017 Toyota Tundra that will give me 11 mpg. 
  • Options
    georgianwindsgeorgianwinds Member Posts: 41
    edited September 2021
    Short answer ... I do.

Throwing in my 2 cents worth while towing a T@B 320. My tow vehicle is a GMC Canyon diesel with a 79 litre (21 gal) tank. I am averaging 7.5 L per 100 Km highway  (and 10.5 L while towing) with gentle inclines. This converts to roughly 23- 24 mpg towing.  Keep in mind, few steep hills and lower speeds. As I am never in a rush while camping or towing, I try to stay between 85 and 100 kph on the highway. The number of fill ups will vary depending on the route, hills and the number of towns and cities which can decrease the mileage. Usually around 600+ km if mainly highway and not towing. I usually stop to fill up before the tank drops much below one quarter or whenever I just decide to stop for a break. Sort of difficult to give an easy and simple reply regarding the fill up part of the question. The extra fuel cost while towing is just part of the camping cost. For the most part, it is what it is. Safe travels to all.
    Camper - 2019 T@B 320 CS, TV - 2021 GMC Canyon Diesel
    Scott & the S.S. PorT@Bella

My Teardrop Mods  https://georgianwinds.wixsite.com/teardropmods 
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Our 1st trip w/ our new diesel Grand Cherokee, so much depends on terrain and speed but here's our specific. For the PNW crowd: Snohomish over Snoqualmie Pass to Salmon Le Sac and return 20.8 mpg, 60-68 mph on Interstates. BTW, this is a monster compared to the old 2001 Cherokee but I don't feel the 320 nearly as much and passing is a breeze now. Now to figure out all the bells and whistles on this TV. Towed a U-Haul to move my daughter to the Bay Area and got 22 there and 31 (no trailer) back.  Southern Oregon has a lot of up and down. But as people have said, you don't tow or fuel economy BUT do tow for safety!
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network