Options

Black tank valve leak

Learning about our 2017 T@B 400, I filled the tank and ran some water into the black tank to watch for leaks. I discovered a slight drip near the drain lid outside (which I assume should stay sealed) and noticed the valve handle has a broken part of the housing on its shaft and doesn't appear to go all the way in compared to the gray. I assume this is allowing the seepage to reach the lid and drip. The pic shows the valve pushed in as far as it will go.
I plan to find a drain and empty the tank to inspect the valve, but I thought I would throw it out there for advice. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    There is valve seal you can buy if you can get to the seal itself. I also have a valve that is a pest and won't seal. Also, try lithium grease on that handle shaft. Good luck!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    edited September 2021
    I got a new valve on Amazon, they come in 2 sizes, make sure you get the correct one,  for black tank. You can easily replace the valve, it took less than half hour.
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,452
    First try pushing the black valve a little harder. Mine sticks a bit in that position but complies when I exercise a little authority. Might not work for you, but it's free to try.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    AubreyAubrey Member Posts: 149
    Thanks all. After learning to drain the tanks (comedy gold) I found that the valve would close with force. I have since observed that it does seal after all!
    I also found the tank sensors needed flushed and cleaned to improve accuracy.
    All good on the tanks now, but I am about to make a post begging for info on my Norcold fridge DC wiring.  It would not cycle on DC and now Im in a pinch with wiring on the back.
    Made several repairs with success so for. Hope to keep my streak going.
    Thanks for the posts!
  • Options
    AubreyAubrey Member Posts: 149
    Norcold problem was caused by plugging into garage while battery switch and breakers were on, causing small arc at plug and i believe a surge at fridge (which must have sort of overload protect in its own controller).. When shutting of the 12v system, then plugging to shore power it all works fine. Should be using my surge protector even at home, duh.