Options

Tab 400 2018 2 ways refrigerator issues

Hi

I have an intermittant issues with my 2 ways refrigerator on my Tab 400 2018.  It stops working after 1 or 2 days of camping while I'm plugged to power supply. The compressor doesn't work but the fan and interior light is working.  It happen to me twice.  Once I unplug and replug the RV and it restarted.  The other time I removed the fuse and put it back and it restarted.  I'm wondering if it's a not a battery issues to the AC DC convector that is deffective.  If anyone even happen to them, let me know.
Regard
simless
Tab 400 2018

Comments

• Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 352
    I have a 2018 T@B 320 CS. Our refrigerator is also a Norcold 2-way with the same compressor, just a smaller box. Although the refrigerator can switch between AC and DC, ours is wired to the trailer to receive DC only. Plugging into external power will still power the refrigerator through the power controller.

I'm curious. Do you have an EMS? It does sound like power to the trailer problems. Once separated from external power, the battery powers things fine. Is there a local Norcold repair facility?
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    simlessssimlesss Member Posts: 9
    No I don't have an EMS, and I don't have any solar panel.

I did a test yesturday, only the refrigerator running and it still going.  My issues happen when it was cold and I was using electric heating. Maybe it's too much and it drain the battery and doesn't restart the refrigerator until there is ennough power from the battery.

simless
    Tab 400 2018
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @simless - if you are using 120v to power the 400, then you are not reliant on the battery.  You should use a surge protector (preferably an EMS) to prevent damage to your on board electronics if there are power surges or low voltage.  

If the frig light and fan are working, you are receiving power.  Anything else in the TaB that suggests power issues?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    simlessssimlesss Member Posts: 9
    What is the EMS?  
    simless
    Tab 400 2018
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Electrical Management System.  It is a more advanced surge protector.  Low voltage is apparently a common occurrence at campgrounds.  Especially FULL campgrounds with lots of people plugged into 120 running A/C or heat.  

Progressive Industries is one recommended brand.  There are several brands used by members of the forum.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I've had this happen when the interior of the 400 got extremely warm. We left the trailer for 36 hours without a/c or fans running in hot weather and the fridge stopped cooling, although its fan was operating. I turned off the fridge for 10 minutes and turned it back on and the cooling cycle returned to normal. Lost whatever was in the fridge that day. Maybe this is what happened to yours?
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    Jax0913Jax0913 Member Posts: 64
    We have a 2018 400 as well. We also had an issue with our fridge. I ended up replacing the thermostat control for the fridge and it has been working perfectly all season for us. It was about $35 and 10 minutes of work. Someone else had posted a similar issue in the forum as well and that is where I got the idea to try the new controller. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EXKU7UK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2018 T@B 400
    2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab