Options

Will my Mazda CX 5 charge the battery on my T@b?

DennisPDennisP Member Posts: 1
I have a 2005 Dutchmen T@b T16 with standard converter. I tie it with a 2021 Mazda CX 5 with a fully functional 7-pin plug. Will my car charge the battery on my trailer as I drive down the road? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 463
    If "fully functional" includes constant 12V on pin 4 of the connector then basically yes. There is some voltage drop depending on wire gauge etc. which makes it slower than using the converter but it will work. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,523
    @DennisP - the CX 5 has a limited tow capacity of 2000 lbs.  It also has a limited payload.  I know the DM TaBs are lighter weight, but you still need to be able to stop your TV-trailer combo going down the road.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2021
    Whether it will charge the Tab's battery will depend on the Mazda charge system, and the 'intelligence' it uses.

The alternator system on our Tacoma boosts the output for a short time after startup, but then kicks back to 'trickle charge', probably to meet fuel-mileage requirements. There was nothing I could do to convince it to put out enough to charge the Tab battery (I've got 8ga wire running back to the 7pin connector).

Others have had different experiences, maybe a different manufacturer, or maybe with a tow-package.

To @Sharon_is_SAM's point, if the Mazda CX-5 is underrated for the weight of the Tab (including any load you put in the car), you're putting yourself and others in a potentially dangerous situation. Take into account the 'frame' of the vehicle, the brakes, the suspension, for handling emergency maneuvers... Good possibility your insurance wouldn't cover if you were over-loaded and involved in a mishap. 

Quick Google of "2021 Mazda CX 5 towing capacity" gets
    Up to 2,000 pounds of towing capacity on the Mazda CX-5. Towing capacities shown are maximums and must be reduced by the weight of any passenger, cargo hitch or optional equipment in the towing vehicle. ... Towing a trailer will have an effect on the vehicle's handling, braking, durability, performance and driving economy. https://www.dyermazda.com
    How Much Can The MAZDA CX-5 & CX-9 Tow? | Dyer MAZDA
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya