Options

Winter towing

CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
edited September 2021 in Camping & Travel
I have a question about towing a T@B 320 BD - not camping in it - during the winter months. In this case, it be towing the T@B it from PA to UT in late January.
We drive the northern route (sans T@B of course) nearly every ski season, and it's rare to not encounter severe weather. We almost always face closures along I-80 due to heavy snow storms, and I wouldn't even think of hauling the T@B on that route. We could take the southern route however, which would mean mean less - but not zero - chance of similar conditions.
We plan to stay in SLC through the middle of March, and I'd love to have the camper available to use after ski season for a sightseeing detour through southern UT and NM before heading back to PA.
Is doing this feasible or fantasy?
2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    IMHO your plan is fine and doable.
    I do agree a southern route should have fewer weather related delays.
    Just have T@B winterized and give it a nice bath on arrival in Utah.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 187
    My first towing experience with our 2021 320S was from Greeley CO to Coeur d’Alene ID last February. I encountered 30 mph crosswinds, a ground blizzard north of Casper that had me in 4wd for 120 miles on the freeway, and 4 mountain passes including the continental divide. Not a first trip I would recommend to anyone but the T@B pulled along fine with no problems. I have an F150 so that helped. 

I think your travel plans are fine. Just take your time and enjoy the journey!
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    For me the key would be to expect some delays and have extra time just in case.  I have towed in snowy/icy conditions on the interstate and I just don't like it.  One time was driving a Uhaul truck towing a trailer with my pickup truck on the trailer and everything I owned in the Uhaul through Idaho and Eastern Oregon on I-84 and it was no fun!  But I was younger and dumber then.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    If I can ask - which southern route are you talking about? I-70?  I am asking because I think any route west could be bad in January.  I wouldn't make a decision on the route until you have better info about the weather in front of you and adjust if necessary.  
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited September 2021
    I’m a Hoosier who has lived within 30 miles of I-70 since it was built (except for 7 years). I-70 would be my last choice of a winter road route. Due to the very heavy semi truck traffic (Indianapolis is rightfully called the Crossroads of America) there are so many wrecks and IDOT has a terrible time clearing the roads because of the trucks. Coming from PA, you know late January and early February have more consistent frequent snows than mid February, early March. 

When I was spending winters in Arizona from December to March/April, I would travel south to I-20 to I-10 to AZ. Others have taken I-40 to I-17 and regretted that decision because of AZ’s heavy snows in northern AZ. It took them about a week longer to get to  Phoenix than it did me. 

This is my opinion from experience. YMMV

My actual favorite way to get to UT from Indiana is US 50….but there are some 8%+ grades in Colorado. US 60 is a bit further south and I have travelled it from AZ to IN in the spring. Like US 50, marvelous scenery. Both of these routes are ones that remind you that it is the journey that matters, not the extra time spent. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    Thanks to all for the replies. To @gspdx - yes I was thinking I-70, which I know can be bad, just not as bad as I-80, and not as often.
    I don't have to tow in bad weather since, as a recent retiree, time is not an issue and we could pull over and wait out any storm. The stumbling block now is storage cost. The places I contacted all want more for 8 weeks of storage than the cost to simply ship the T@B out there!
    Thanks again to all.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    Personally, I'd go sans trailer and save the southern UT and NM tour for later in the year. Like you said, you're retired. No point in cramming things into one trip.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    CharlieRN said:
    Thanks to all for the replies. To @gspdx - yes I was thinking I-70, which I know can be bad, just not as bad as I-80, and not as often.
    I don't have to tow in bad weather since, as a recent retiree, time is not an issue and we could pull over and wait out any storm. The stumbling block now is storage cost. The places I contacted all want more for 8 weeks of storage than the cost to simply ship the T@B out there!
    Thanks again to all.
    Ah yes - I plan to be retired soon myself!  Good luck on your trip.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW