Options

Catch-All behind bench.

Modification to space behind the bench:

This is a simple improvement which stops ( at least limits ) the problem of dropping something behind the bench and the challenge of retrieving it.  ( At least the side where the Alde sits. )  It is a simple piece of wire shelving with about an inch cut off the end and the 1 inch rail removed along the length.  Held down with three washers and screws.

Comments

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited September 2021
    Ok, @game, but I'm not sure I understand, because this would block access to the storage space, especially on the right where there is no other way to access, unless you remove all the screws.
    We covered ours with separate pieces on each side that fit inside the space & rest on 1x2 strips of wood fastened to the sides, with the larger wire at rear left longer to fit into holes slots in the wood to act as a hinge for easy access.
    Our intention was to use the wire shelving to temporarily store our bed roll, while still allowing access below.  We still drop stuff down there, like my wife's wristwatch went missing for a couple of months.
    I copied Hymie's idea here..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/66479#Comment_66479
    My version is posted below his.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    gamegame Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2021
    Thanks for your comment.  Yes, the right side is blocked however, it is on the side of the Alde and a limited, nearly inaccessible hole.   If something drops down there most people cannot reach over the back of the bench and get it.   That was the purpose for covering it.   There is still plenty of space behind the bench on that side.   It is where we keep the bedding .   BTW, the left side is open via the larger areas beneath the bench, but, I feel, more useful with the grate across it as a place for pillows, bedding or whatever.  I also wanted to be sure there was some ventilation in that area.   Truth is ---   I like yours best and will probably make some changes  :)

• Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    I like these wire shelving mods.  Did you have to remove the rear bench seat to do them?  How do you remove it (admittedly, I'm not much of a DIY person).
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited October 2021
    PNWtabber said:
    I like these wire shelving mods.  Did you have to remove the rear bench seat to do them?  How do you remove it (admittedly, I'm not much of a DIY person).
    The rear bench back appears to be simply screwed down to the wood framing by the 2 hinges. Removing it would seem easy. Replacing it by myself with no help? That, I’d like to hear about. 

Meanwhile, I just confirmed I can climb over it and wedge myself in there long enough to staple a cargo net over just the passenger side to hold my twin size bedroll. Which may be my solution, still thinking about it. 

I’m actually fine with blocking the area behind the Alde, so this ultra simple, “three screws and a shelf” solution @game presented would work for me. That area is too hard for me to reach, and others have noted that if the Alde reservoir overflows, anything back in that cabinet could end up damp with glycol. I really just want a support there for the bedding, one that doesn’t limit heat from below.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    @VictoriaP -- cargo net would be another easy solution.  Although the netting on the side cubbies in my Boondock are terribly stretched out which makes me wonder what the first owners stored up there!  Anyway, I might be a little concerned that a net might stretch out of shape and defeat the purpose.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman