New Thetford toilet system

Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
edited September 2021 in Products and Accessories

A new motorhome toilet system that uses grey water to flush, lets you know when it is full and automatically empties through a 2-inch hose has been launched by Thetford.

“The company says its Indus system has been designed to “jump the curve” in the development of motorhome toilets, offering freedom and convenience and the ability to go “off-grid” without having to empty the system for up to seven days.

It works by using grey water from the grey water tank to flush the toilet, and using three different additives which are added automatically to break down the macerated waste product.

Grey and black water can then be disposed of at the touch of a button via a 2m hose connected to a dosing module shaped a bit like a plunger.  This can be positioned over any conventional grey water disposal point, provided it is connected to a main sewer, which Thet says most are (in Europe).

Whilst this is aimed at Motorhomes in the UK/Europe market, where black tanks are not in general use (Cassette toilets are), for large Motorhomes being used outside of RV parks (Boondocking), it has advantages for use here in the US where black tanks are in use, but access to official black tank dumping facilities may not be easy.  

This onboard waste water treatment process (using biodegradable additives), uses the processed gray water to flush the toilet and then process the sewage in the black tank to allow safe dumping via a 2-inch hose into drive over gray water dump points (currently used in Europe, but found be easily adapted here in US).  Solids are reduced to liquids.  This has the advantage of using some of the gray water, allows larger holding tank for back water than a cassette offers.  Using some of the gray water and having a larger holding tank capacity extends your off-site camping capabilities.  This could also be an interesting idea to incorporate in a TaB trailer design, to extend its off grid camping abilities.  The new toilet is free standing, and electrically flushed, with a soft closing lid.

For details see: https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/news/thetfords-new-toilet-aims-to-make-off-grid-life-easier

cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.

Comments

• MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 458
    Hmm, all the dump systems I've been to (experience is limited) take both black and gray. Also I don't put anything in my gray tank that I wouldn't normally throw into the woods while camping and in fact have distributed this water if getting full while camping without worrying about it. I'm pretty sure I'd not feel the same with this system. So would consider this "gray water" safe only to go into a sewer. I prefer the cassette. Additionally the last thing I want to fail is a toilet that relies heavily on electrical valves and metering. The Alde and Isotherm are worry enough.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Mark, the bit I like in this concept, is using some of the gray water to flush the toilet, which requires a pump, so even a toilet like in the TaB400 requires power to flush.  Adding a macerator pump on an electrical flush toilet is not a big battery drain, and has been used in boats for years.  My gray tank fills first from the showers whilst camping, so being able to use this water instead of my fresh water to flush works for me, and gets rid of,some of the gray water.   Having all this pure-treated with a biodegradable system that is passive is also good, not so unpleasant to dump later.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.