Another Antifreeze Discussion

OK, yet another newbie with antifreeze confusion.  First time RV'r  (2021 TAB 320S boondock) and first Michigan winter.  Being stored outside.  Information on types of antifreeze is all over the place.  It seems virgin propylene glycol without ethanol blend is recommended most frequently.  I know there was a video in this forum that used Vodka in a TAG but I read ethanol can be hard on the rubber seals.  Glycol-ethanol blends are the cheapest but one article suggested these blends may come from the recycled de-icers used at airports.  Some advocate simply drain and blow out the lines.  Interested in the forum's experience/opinion?
2021 320S BD
2020 V6 Chevy Colorado

Comments

• Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 433
    Just to be clear, you are talking about antifreeze for winterizing ? The Alde system also contains what is essentially antifreeze which has more specific requirements. For winterizing there is RV specific antifreeze which is non-toxic which is what you want. 
  • MobeanMobean Member Posts: 50
    Sorry.  Yes, the propylene glycol used for winterizing the potable water pipes and drains.  Not the new RhoGard glycol used in the 2021 Alde.  I'm sure I will be asking the Alde glycol question 2 years from now...
    2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado
  • Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 433
    RV antifreeze is typically pink and readily available at Walmart and such. I got mine at Fred Meyer's which is a Kroger chain. 
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    RV antifreeze is propylene glycol.  Recycled glycol from airport de-icing is a common, inexpensive source.  Since it only needs to do "one job", anything that has the nice labels proclaiming it "safe", etc.  is probably ok to use.  The antifreeze industry has done a spectacular job of confusing the consumer.  If you can find a decent product label on the bottle, it should just say "propylene glycol."  The "antifreeze" in the Alde is...propylene glycol, mixed with water, with a "secret ingredient" to avoid corrosion in the Alde system. 
    If you can, and the product has one, try to find the "Material Safety Data Sheet".  Sometimes noted as the MSDS or the SDS.  It will list the type of glycol inside the bottle.
    Do not use ethylene glycol, which will/can kill you.
    Draining and blowing out the lines, and adding a small bit of antifreeze at key points works really well.  Especially if you are trying to camp when the weather is changeable.  If there is a possibility of a quick dip of freezing temps, a quick blow out works to protect the trailer.  It is easy to clear out the little bit of antifreeze used, and you can be on your way camping again. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    Another first-time winterizer here.  How much antifreeze do I need to purchase (just doing the blow-out method) -- 2018 T@B S.

thanks.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Just a gallon to add to the traps, black and gray tanks and toilet bowl.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio