Options

State Park Electric Hook Up Only…. Now Feels like Full Hook-Up!!!

SereneCampingSereneCamping Member Posts: 16
edited October 2021 in Tips & Tricks
This may not be revolutionary to many long time RV’ers, but it is a game change for us, now completing our first year of RVing.

In March 2021, we took delivery of our T@B 320S Boondock and love the trailer and how well it serves our needs. The Cassette Toilet is a dream… so easy to manage and so flexible to empty whenever we need, while leaving the trailer at the campsite. We love staying at State Parks so the Cassette flexibility works great. We also bought the Americanizer connection for the Cassette toilet and it works great. The connection is just like you’re hooking up to your trailer connection, so no spilling, no mess. Super simple and a great addition for dumping the Cassette. 
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Americanizer-Adapter-Cassettes-Portable-Toilets/dp/B098BMXGCQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=4BVNJRF0QFFW&dchild=1&keywords=americanizer+rv+toilet+adapter&qid=1632950633&sprefix=Americanizer%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-1

What we are not as thrilled about is the restricted water use due to the limited size of the fresh water and gray water tanks (19 and 18 gallons respectively). We typically have three night stays (Thrs - Sun) so showers and wash ups are “military” style, so as to ration the water consumption. We knew the tank sizes going in and it works, but not ideal.

If we mis-manage the water, the tanks needs to be refilled and the trailer needs to visit the dump station to empty the grey tank. What a pain…. Until now!

Solution #1: Searching around on YouTube, I discovered the Camco Rhino 21 Gallon Portable Holding Tank. Now the grey tank can be emptied whenever we need and the Rhino hooks right up to our hitch ball and gets towed to the dump station and emptied. No more moving the trailer to do this!!! Love this solution!!! Not an “ah-ha” moment for many long time T@B’ers, but big problem solve for us at electric only camp sites. And BTW, Camco addressed the compression wheel cap issue complaint (totally justified) so that problem is now a thing of the past on at least the 21 gallon model we purchased. They replaced the compression cap with a redesigned axel and a ‘C-Clip’, so the wheels won’t come off like older models.
Link:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQ1WC72/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=6be0280565328916723e5b34d8cab664&hsa_cr_id=2147535950401&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=fd9ef988-47fa-421b-abd2-8dafd527aa3b&pd_rd_w=MPCSh&pd_rd_wg=suDUO&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_td_asin_0_title

Solution #2: I’ve refilled the fresh tank using our 2 gallon drinking water containers and it takes quite a while, with the water pump pulling the water into the tank, but I want to share our new and very quick solution that now makes water supply and use feel just like a full hook-up site, when using the Rhino Disposal tank.

I purchased two Wolverine 5 Gallon collapsible water containers which take up no storage space and I can quickly add 10 gallons of water in just a few minutes. The key is the “delivery” set up. I hang a filled bag on the side of the trailer and between the quick flow spout on the bag, the water pump and gravity, the water empties into the trailer tank in 2-3 minutes. 
The “set-up” consists of two portable shower grab bars, some chain, spring links, S-Hooks and a vinyl hose with a male hose adapter (see pix).

After filling the water bags and bringing them back to our campsite, I attach the vinyl tube to the bag, which already has the other end secured into the hose connection inside the Nautilus system. I turn on the water pump and in about 30 seconds the first gallon has been pulled into the trailer and I lift the bag and secure the bag grommet to the grab bars using the S-hooks. While this bag empties I go get the second bag from the back end of the SUV and get it ready to empty. It all happens pretty quickly and 10 gallons are in the fresh tank of the trailer. It’s super slick and now we use water however and whenever we want. We treat ourselves to full hook-up water and disposal use, but at a State Park electric only site. We love this solution and love that our T@B now stays put for the entire stay.

I found that turning on the water pump and getting the first gallon out before hanging the bag helps, as the grab bars are a less expensive variety ($13 @ Home Depot) and they struggle with the initial 40 lbs of a full bag. So I trim off a gallon, hang the bag and then on to the second bag. Start to finish… leaving the campsite, filling the bags and then adding 10 gallons to the tank is about 15 minutes, depending on how far you might have to travel to the nearest water source.

This set-up may not be for everyone and there may be better configurations, but it’s what we use and we thought we’d share as we have picked up so many great tips from others on this forum. Happy T@Bing!!!

I hope I’ve sized my pix correctly!
2021 T@B 320S Boondock “Serenity”
2020 Honda Passport

Comments

• Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    Where do you stow your Rhino? We have the 15 gallon model and it doesn't really sit well on the boondock platform, so we have it inside a large storage tub in the back of our TV.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502

I purchased two Wolverine 5 Gallon collapsible water containers which take up no storage space and I can quickly add 10 gallons of water in just a few minutes. The key is the “delivery” set up. I hang a filled bag on the side of the trailer and between the quick flow spout on the bag, the water pump and gravity, the water empties into the trailer tank in 2-3 minutes. 
    I hope I’ve sized my pix correctly!
    A gallon of water weighs 8.34lbs. Personally, I'd be cautious about having 30-40 pounds pulling on that laminated sidewall. It might be OK because it's pulling straight down (rather than out) but I'd be worried that over time it might cause the wall to delaminate. It might be better to get the cube type water carrier and set it on a table or some other elevated surface next to your T@B. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Use the Keder rail to hang it?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Rhyno….Where do you stow your Rhino?

We store it on the platform.

2020 Honda Passport
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    @SereneCamping - the 15 gal model isn't tall enough to strap it to the handle where you have your top strap secured. I may try to rig something up to get it out of the storage tub and free up some space in our TV.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    Rhyno….Where do you stow your Rhino?

We store it on the platform.

I have looked at strapping it to my roof rack. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    We stay at state parks and have had the same issues with water and gray tanks because there is no sewer or water hook up. In my list of things to purchase this winter is the Rhyno tank and was eventually going to create a discussion to get opinions on it at some point.
    As for fresh water, I have also purchased a 7 gallon Aqua-Tainer Jug from Walmart that I can use to refill the FW tank (same one pictured above I believe). So far space is not an issue for us between the T@B and the TV. The jug has an optional spout and we more often use it to take water directly from the jug.
    I honestly don't know what we would do without our Americanizer. Having had a Thetford portal toilet that we used for tent camping, I knew dumping the cassette at a dump station was not at all practical at best. It almost prevented me from buying our T@B until I learned that the Americanizer would be hitting the market. I can't say enough about how much I appreciate having it!
    2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    We use a 7 gallon aqua-tainer to do partial dumps of the gray tank. It's more manageable than our 15 gallon Rhino and we use this adapter to run a short hose into it. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Durable-Connection-Connection-39463/dp/B000BQKBP2/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=sewer+adapter+for+rv+camper+hose+bib&qid=1633023942&sr=8-13
    When it comes time to dump the 11 gallon black tank, we use the Rhino, topping it off with a few gallons of gray to clean out the sewer hose. Easy peasy.

• Options
    rhyno said:
    We use a 7 gallon aqua-tainer to do partial dumps of the gray tank. It's more manageable than our 15 gallon Rhyno and we use this adapter to run a short hose into it. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Durable-Connection-Connection-39463/dp/B000BQKBP2/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=sewer+adapter+for+rv+camper+hose+bib&qid=1633023942&sr=8-13
    When it comes time to dump the 11 gallon black tank, we use the Rhyno, topping it off with a few gallons of gray to clean out the sewer hose. Easy peasy.

Now that's not a bad idea for the gray tank and it's a much cheaper solution. I just don't know if I want to be dumping the jug at the station. I think I would prefer a closed system. But then again is that worth $100+ more....hummmmm
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    @da_birds - gray water isn't too scary at the dump station. I definitely wouldn't want to open-dump black tank contents!
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    We have carried our 12 gallon portable gray tank and not used it.  We are pretty conservative with water use when necessary and make use of park showers.  We are going to replace it with a 5 gallon jug.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    To get the needed just enough room for one more night sand morning shower and dishwashing, my 5-gallon Reliance water jug to the rescue…except it has “GRAY” marked on all sides with a thick Sharpie.  I drained 5 gallons of gray water into it, removed the cassette for the toilet, too them to the dump station and brought back two 2.5 gallons of potable water for the fresh tank. I can make it one more day and I’ll hit the dump station for all the waste contents before I leave tomorrow. I have a 25 gallon “Blue Boy” black and gray water portable tank, but after not using it for two years. I guess it’s time to put it up for sale. The cassette for the toilet and the 5 gallon “gray” water jug is sufficient. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    @SereneCamping -- you have a NINTEEN gallon freshwater tank?  Wow, mine is only 11 gallons!  Great ideas here.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    @PNWtabber

Yeah, I totally typo’d that fresh water figure. Ours is 11 gallons too. If I had 19 gals I wouldn’t have a problem! Ha! Thanks for catching that miss. You probably were already shopping for a trade in, right!
    2020 Honda Passport
  • Options
    DenverJaguarDenverJaguar Member Posts: 57
    I was reading this thinking I'd misunderstood the capacity of my fresh water tank in my 2022 Tab 320S, but I do have 19 gallons capacity in the fresh tank and 18 gallons for the gray tank. That's plenty for boondocking for 3-4 days, since we plan to bring an Aquatainer for our drinking water like we've always done for tent camping. The onboard tanks will pretty much only be used for showering, hand washing, and cooking, and backup drinking water if the Aquatainer runs out. 
  • Options
    @SereneCamping -- I was very impressed thinking you had 19 gallons!  Didn't even think of it being a typo, LOL.  But now @DenverJaguar is saying his 2022 320S has that capacity.  Something to look forward to when I am ready to upgrade to a newer model!!

• Options
    edited October 2021
    So I've given some serious thought about using a water jug instead of a Rhyno tank. A 7 gallon aqua-tainer is taller than my gray water pipe. I'm not sure if pressure will push the water up and in the jug or if it needs to be tipped. I started looking for something with a lower profile and found a 4 gallon oil change container. It's low profile means it will fit under the T@B and will take up less space then 7 gallon aqua-tainer. The opening that the oil would drain into the container seems big enough that I could put the hose right in it or with a controlled dump I could let the water run in just as you would changing oil. Also no way this container is going to get confused with a fresh water jug. Besides a slightly smaller capacity I can't come up with a reason this might might not be a better option. It's also a few dollars cheaper...so there's that too.
    Anything I may be missing?
  • Options
    @PNWtabber:

So this 11 gallons figure was bothering me and I checked the 320s spec at NuCamp and sure enough the fresh water is 19 gallons as I stated. Anyway, just wanted to clear that up so as not to create too much confusion among the group. Good news is…. You just picked up 8 more gallons of capacity at no cost!
    2020 Honda Passport
  • Options
    @SereneCamping, nice, but per the brochure for my 2018, the freshwater capacity for my 2018 is only 11 gallons.  Something to look forward to, someday, whenever I get a newer trailer.

• Options
    ChopinChopin Member Posts: 40
    My solution is to carry a collapsible 3-gallon bucket that fits easily in the tongue box. It takes a couple of trips to the spigot but easy enough to top up the fresh water tank