Options

Alde not working

2»

Comments

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Do you have a multimeter to measure voltage?
    If so, pull off the 12V line connected to the Alde, turn on the Alde control, and measure the voltage on the pos/neg pins inside the connector.  Do you get 12V?
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I am sorry that I don’t have a multimeter, nor do I know how to use one.  I probably should put that on my list of things to learn
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    edited October 2021
    Such a test would confirm (or refute) my suspicions. Based on the symptoms, I'm guessing you would see 12V when on battery, but nothing when on shore power with the battery OFF.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @Tabalong - while on shorepower, plug something into the 120v outlet that the Alde is plugged into, just to confirm that the outlet has power.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    The outlet that the Alde is plugged into is working when I plug some thing else in there
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    And even if that 120VAC outlet didn't have power, the Alde should still run on propane. Power to that outlet is only required to operate the electric heating elements.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I appreciate all of the helpfulness. I have an appointment at the nearest T@B dealer for Monday morning
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    We brought our T@B to a dealer this morning and the diagnosis is we need a new control board. After over 50,000 miles, I suppose we haven’t fared too badly. Will fix when we arrive back home.
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    It seems to me a bad control board would also prevent proper operation on battery--12V is 12V-- but who knows? Once you start getting into circuit boards I suspect there can be all manner of unforeseen gremlins lurking about. Let us know how it works out.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @T@Balong - what’s the status on your Alde?
  • Options
    I have an appointment next week at the Alde service center in Elkhart to have the circuit board replaced.
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    Let us know your experience.  It seems that Alde has stepped up their game and owners have more access to service and parts. Before, all we had was “Spencer” and a phone number!
  • Options
    Finally, I can report on the resolution to the problem of our non-functioning Alde.  Back on September 29, while on an extended trip to the Southwest, our Alde quit working.   After numerous suggestions from this forum which didn't solve the problem, we back-tracked from Moah, UT to the T@B dealer in Grand Junction, CO, who diagnosed a faulty circuit board to be the issue.   Obviously they didn't stock that item and it would be several weeks before they could get one.   We decided to continue with our trip, and use a little space heater.......at least when we had electricity.   During one six-day stretch camping without electricity, we were concerned about dipping overnight temps especially at higher elevations.   We discovered one by-product of running the fridge on propane..........heat!   Cabin temperature never dropped below 60 degrees due to this excess heat from the fridge.   Who knew what is unwelcome on warm days would be a bonus for us on cold nights!

The last few weeks of our trip found us hardly missing the Alde since we camped in southern Arizona with warmer overnight temps and we always had electric hook-ups anyway.

While still on the road, I made an appointment with Truma Corporation in Elkhart, IN to have the circuit board replaced.  They are a certified service center for Alde as well as producing their own high-end accessories for RVs. Today was my appointment and I'm happy to say everything is working again after the circuit board was replaced.   The folks at Truma were splendid to work with and very professional.   They even have two RV sites (first come, first served) where customers can plug in while undergoing service.  I'm not sure what other T@B folks are paying to have the circuit board replaced, but my cost, including labor, was $340, which I felt was reasonable.

What would cause a circuit board to fail?  When I told the techs about our camping history.......they believe it could very well have simply worn out.   We've had seven full seasons with our T@B, traveled over 55,000 miles with it............spending 80-100 nights in the T@B each year.

Thank you again to all the folks who offered advice, especially thanks to Sharon_is_SAM.   
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    You just wore it out @T@Balong!  Glad you are up and running again.  You found another advantage to a small camper - heating with the refrigerator!  You certainly made the best of it.  

Good to know that Alde/Truman accommodates campers.  Did they take a look at your convector hosing by chance?  Any discussion regarding the Rhomar change?  
  • Options
    Given as much as we have used our T@B, it is not surprising that parts are going to wear out.   To reiterate, I was very happy with Truma Corporation and their brand new facility.   They did a thorough review of my Alde system which I assume included all hoses.  Regarding the Rhomar fluid change, when they do a total flush of an Alde in their facility, they use Rhomar fluid.   Since I was not requesting that service and I have an ample supply of the other fluid, they saw no need to change it out at this time.  They did agree not to mix the two types.
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    edited November 2021
    Circuit boards are typically very stable if kept in a stable environment, barring manufacturing flaws. Their worse enemies are heat and power cycling. All of these are common in the Alde environment. The Alde itself is producing heat when in use and it can be exposed to high temperatures during the course of their life. Then you have constant connecting and disconnecting of power. Every time you send power to a circuit board there is a higher chance of it failing. This chance increases if you start sending power to the board in extreme temps. This is actually how you "wear out" a circuit board, not by constant use. I suspect it's this unstable environment that leads to these failing. One could argue that this is an engineering flaw as these conditions are not unexpected.
    2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"