Rear View Camera

Added the Haloview MC7108 7 Inch 720P Rear View Camera to our 320 S. I use it primarily for rear view mirror sight while traveling since without it my rear view mirror is filled with the T@B. I really need to have visibility to what’s going on behind me, especially when highway driving. Yes, it’s also nice to have when backing up, but my motivation was seeing behind me while driving.

I mounted the camera above the license plate on the small ledge. The supplied screws and some waterproof construction adhesive and the camera isn’t going anywhere. I tapped into the license plate light power source so the camera is only on when we have the trailer 7-way plugged into the TV. The monitor is strapped onto the rear view mirror and plugged into the 12v on the console.

What I always have to keep in mind is that the camera does not turn on unless my TV headlights are in the ‘ON’ position. I drive with ‘auto on’ as a default, so every time we start a trip I have to remember why the camera isn’t working and have to turn the headlights to ON and then the camera fires right up.

This camera is only 720p and there are higher resolution options out there, but for me, the resolution is more than sufficient and I’d rather spend the $ elsewhere. This signal for this model can cover the distance from the back of the trailer to the front cabin of my TV no problem. With bigger rigs, longer distance, a booster may be needed. But with the 320S @ 15’ and another 10’ to the front of my TV cabin (so 25’ span), the signal strength has never been an issue for me.
2021 T@B 320S Boondock “Serenity”
2020 Honda Passport

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Nice looking install, happy travels and stay safe.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • DenverJaguarDenverJaguar Member Posts: 57
    Just wondering why the lights need to be in the "On" position and not auto? Does the license plate only get power for lights this way? If so that's a big issue (that shouldn't even be an issue since most cars sold now have an auto setting). I haven't manually turned on my lights in 6 years or so. 
    edited October 2021
    Typically, a license plate light and tail lights are wired together on the same circuit in most vehicles, and they are on the TaB.  A TV in Auto light position, will only power the taillights when the headlights come on at dusk or other dark situations.  If you want the tail lights on during the day, you need to turn the vehicle from auto to runnjng/parking lights on, which will power the vehicles taillights, and in turn the YaB’s taillights/license plate light.  This has been the way auto on headlights have worked since GM introduced them years ago.
    cheers
  • DbremmerDbremmer Member Posts: 12
    We brought home a new T@B 320 CS-S in August.   About a year before, Costco offered wireless rear view camera license plate holders.  You need to get something in Costco when you see it, because stocking for any time period is not reliable.  
    The license frame camera and display monitor that I got is a TypeS brand:   https://typesauto.com/collections/car-cameras
    As it turns out, the frame housing batteries and solar panels is a little too wide to fit inside the trailer recess for a license plate.  I painted a 3/8 thick scrap piece of plywood flat black and put it in the recess as a spacer, after drilling 2 holes to accommodate mounting screws.  I also added dabs of gorilla glue on the raised plastic nubs that meet the wood spacer so that it never tries to exit the recess.  If required later, I could pry it out leaving the plastic holder undamaged.
    I included some pictures to show the simple installation and function test.
    The TypeS web site also shows a rear view camera with solar battery maintainer that simply mounts between the two top screws of the license plate.  This is the most basic and simple option that will require no modifications to mount.  This model uses bluetooth to transmit to a smartphone display.  The wireless transmission will work to 30-feet.  According to my testing, this will work well with T@B 320 trailers.
    Pictures:   I am waiting for a license plate...

A USB port enables charging up full before a trip.

View behind the trailer including my mobile chicken house that the rear view camera should show.

Monitor view from a car in towing position in front of the trailer, not the actual TV

Holding monitor out in front of the (non tow) car.  Wireless communication is adequate.

• TowheeTowhee Member Posts: 46
    @SereneCamping. How did you route the camera wire?
     Not visible in the photo.
  • DbremmerDbremmer Member Posts: 12
    Towhee,    As I stated in the description, the license frame unit with embedded camera uses
     a wireless transmission (bluetooth),   good to about 30-feet. The monitor included with the unit requires power.  It has a 12V cord and plugs into the car dashboard 12V auxiliary. That is all there is to it!
    The license frame has built-in rechargeable batteries and very small solar panel strips to maintain the battery charge. As I showed with a photo, you can also charge up the license frame batteries before a trip through a plug-in USB port.   Hope this helps.
  • TowheeTowhee Member Posts: 46
    @Dbremmer Thanks for responding.  I was actually interested in the camera mounted on the flat spot above the license.  
  • SereneCampingSereneCamping Member Posts: 16
    @Towhee …. The wiring for the camera runs thru the gasket centered under the camera on the mounting bracket (seen in pix #2). I drilled a hole thru the trailer housing to access the license plate power for the plate light. The gasket and opening for the wiring were sealed with waterproof construction adhesive. 
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock “Serenity”
    2020 Honda Passport
  • johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    Our 2020 came with backup camera. Weird, clunky, extra screen on inside of pickup made its use a "one and done". I found it far easier to navigate backing up using traditional side mirrors. Since it's recommended to travel with no screens pulled, I can see what's behind me while moving through stargazer window. Just mentioning this to dissuade purchase of something that is a pain to install if you have successfully backed into several parking slots without a camera. I would sell off the camera, but it is currently not leaking and finally learned to leave well enough alone!
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • ncarbsncarbs Member Posts: 10
    Why not travel with screens up??
    edited August 2022
    Because, they could get damaged, according to nüCamp.  The window unit manufacturer states, open screens and blinds to the fully retracted position before towing the trailer, as damage could result…. 
    Cheers 

• BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 261
    Once you finally get used to it, backing up the trailer using your tow vehicle’s side mirrors works fine. I try to back up so that the trailer bends toward the driver’s side because I get a better view from the driver-side mirror than I do from the passenger-side mirror. Conveniently, seems like most of the back-in sites work in that direction.

Good tip about driving with the shades down. Now I understand the small decal on the windows. They are telling you to do just that!
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX