Options

Winterizing: Am I missing "common sense"

Thanks to everyone for all the information and helpful suggestions. This is my first time winterizing and I believe that everything has gone according to the instructions posted by nucamp. ....until the final step. When the valves are in winter mode it then says to open each faucet  and run until we see antifreeze, when we do this we do not get anything out of the faucet. To me this makes sense because we have the valves closed off to these facilities (galley sink for example). Should I not open the valve to that "facility" in order to have fluid move through that circuit and then close the valve back into winter mode.
Thanks for any advice on this subject.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    For winter mode, your valves should be set to bypass the Alde.  That is, open the bypass valve and close the hot and cold water supply valves.  Then you can use the pump to run antifreeze throughout the plumbing lines, opening each tap until you see pink. 

Do you have a picture of your valve settings?

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    KLRKLR Member Posts: 11
    This is our current valve settings. We also tried the pump on with the drain valves closed (cold and hot water)
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Your mixing valve is blocked by the closed valve on the cold water line in your first picture.
  • Options
    Thanks so much. We'll try that change tomorrow.
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM We tried your suggestion after opening the closed valve on the water line with no luck. We also lowered the hitch and opened toilet/taps individually to move any air that may have built up. Someone else suggested letting the pump run longer to build up pressure which we have done. We checked the filter again for cleaning and all the hoses. There is more than enough antifreeze in the water tank. We are running out of ideas and time. Any other suggestions you can think of?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    @KLR - So, the pump is running, but the antifreeze is not moving.  Maybe your pump is not primed.  How much antifreeze did you put in the fresh tank?  

Make sure the hot and cold water drains are closed (valve perpendicular to the line).

The outlet to the fresh water tank is in the front.  Put the tongue as low as it will go.  Turn on the pump and flush the toilet several times.

If that doesn’t work, I suggest that you put some antifreeze in a small container and place the hose for the intake side of the pump into the antifreeze.  Turn on the pump.  Does it take up the AF?  If so, the pump is fine.  Just put the AF in a bucket and draw through to your faucets. 

If the pump does not pick up the AF, use a turkey baster and put some AF into the hose.  Turn on the pump to see if it will prime.

Can you also take a picture of the mixing valve plumbing?

• Options
    I am trying it now with the drains perpendicular.  We did before but I'll try again. 
    The fresh water tank has almost 4 gallons which we siphoned into the outlet at the front. Tongue is as low as it will go.  I will also flush the toilet several times. Thanks. @Sharon_is_SAM
  • Options
    Tried again but no AF coming out of the lines when the pump is on.
     We camped right until the end of Sept and all was fine with the pump.
    I will try the small container and then the  turkey baster.
    Thanks.
    @Sharon_is_SAM
  • Options
    YES!!! It worked. Priming the pump with the small container was the answer. There was lots of pressure coming out of the taps and toilet.

We are GRATEFUL for your help.
    @Sharon_is_SAM

I have taken pics of all the settings and will also make notes for next year.
  • Options
    Yeah!  Glad you got the pump primed.  Remember next year, instead of using the fresh water tank to winterize, just do it through the pump inlet.  That way, you can avoid having to flush out the AF in the spring.  
  • Options
    @KLR - I reviewed the nuCamp valve positions for Winterizing using AF.  Besides an open hot water drain valve that should be closed, they show both valves leading to the mixing valve closed, so go ahead and make sure both valves are closed in preparation for spring flushing and sanitizing.  The Alde has a one way non-return valve on the hot water line leading to the mixing valve, so no AF can get in from the mixing valve cold feed.