Options

2021 Tab 320s Repairing caulking around roof vent

TommySaxTommySax Member Posts: 7
Hi. I need to re-caulk around my roof vent. I bought some self-levelling caulking recommended by my dealer. Anyone know if I can safely climb up on the roof of the 320 without causing it any damage. I weigh about 170lbs. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @TommySax, no, please do not climb on your roof. It is aluminum, with aluminum struts supporting it and it will bend, dent and look very nasty!

Someone said Austin, nüCamp repair keeps thick 4” foam rubber to put underneath the workers when they work on the roofs. I have not tried that. 

What I have done in the past was to put a folded flannel quilt between a ladder and the plastic trim of the T@B, have someone hold the bottom of the ladder so it didn’t kick out, and I have leaned over the roof to install the AeroFlow vent cover. No dents, nothing broken. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I’ve used a moving blanket with a sheet of foam insulation (from Home Depot) over that and it seemed to work. Just avoid putting point loads on the roof like elbows, knees, etc. the aluminum skin is very susceptible to dents and it isn’t attached to the aluminum support ribs. There’s a thin foam insulation in between them and that will compress with enough pressure. Our 400 came from the factory with 4 slight dings in the roof so even Nucamp’s workers can’t avoid denting it. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Here's how I do it, by distributing weight between the two side walls, not on the roof itself..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/13695/ladder-support-for-roof-access

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    tetra323tetra323 Member Posts: 1
    I’ve used a moving blanket with a sheet of foam insulation (from Home Depot) over that and it seemed to work. Just avoid putting point loads on the roof like elbows, knees, etc. the aluminum skin is very susceptible to dents and it isn’t attached to the aluminum support ribs. There’s a thin foam insulation in between them and that will compress with enough pressure. Our 400 came from the factory with 4 slight dings in the roof so even Nucamp’s workers can’t avoid denting it. 
    It's worth reading https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/13695/ladder-support-for-roof-access
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Thanks @tetra323. Yeah I saw that post. Interesting method but the 400 roof is so much higher. I guess it could be modified to work though. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Here's what I use to navigate around the upper reaches of our T@B.

This setup was to place the solar panels on the back/roof. I am too large to even think about being on the roof area. You may be able to borrow some equipment if you know someone that does siding, etc. Just one of the 8 foot ladders might be enough for you to reach in and caulk...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited November 2021
     I don't recommend self leveling caulk. The Tab roof is not flat so it's going to run and look terrible!