Is this a clone ?

GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
Geo & Liz
T@BMahal
'04  #100

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    edited October 2021
    Wider, heavier, 2 kitchens, BUT, no Alde!  Exterior countertop grill!  Serious copy catting.

https://www.ultimatetoys.com/models/ultimate-camper/
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    CrabTab said:
    To be fair, the concept has been around for quite awhile. Attached is a reprint of a Popular Science article from 1946.
    Yeah, but the profile is virtually identical, as is the window and door placement.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Hahaha... touche' @Marceline ! :)

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    Maybe it is an homage.  =)
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I’ll bet the build doesn’t come close to the materials and tolerances in the real deal.  😃👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 433
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's made by NuCamp for "Ultimate Toys". Sprinter van conversions are a very different animal and I doubt the company is going to set up a complete production line for building trailers. 
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited October 2021
    The Popular Science article is more like a 1940s take on a larger teardrop, and my have been the ancestor of the TaB.  While there have been similar, but not quite the same variations, like the Rpod, none are exactly like a TaB, which nüCamp builds, from what I have been told, under an exclusive North America license from Knaus Tabbert in Germany.

This Ultimate Toys teardrop camper is a vaguely disguised TaB, as made by nüCamp.  Unless nüCamp is building this for, or as authorized somehow, for Ultimate Toys, seems they could be finding themselves in court, because this camper is a TaB 320 CS and CS S combined, right down to its dimensions ( slightly wider?), look and feel…
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    edited October 2021
    A Mandy Lea comment from a FB post on these today: 
    "have confirmed that this trailer is in fact manufactured by nuCamp and sold by Ultimate Toys. They do not modify it, but simply sell it. The decision was made pre-covid and nuCamp promises that it will not cut into production on their primary family of nuCamp products".
    Ultimate Toys website shows many mods for Sprinter vans.

PS:  With some documentation from NuCamp:
    From: Raphael Yutzy, Customer Experience Manager at NuCamp...
    "Thanks for reaching out…the Ultimate Camper is a product we manufacture. With that said, you will need to contact Ultimate Toys directly for more information on specs, features, pricing, availability, and support.

Mandy ( a pro photographer) also points out the photos "seem" to be photoshopped, so what the final product might "really" look like is up for grabs.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ChopinChopin Member Posts: 40
    edited October 2021
    According to the article, this thing is the same length as the tab at 15’3 but wider at 7’6. Do we think that’s real? It looks exactly the same as the tab so I have a hard time believing it’s really almost a foot wider! But In the photo you can see what looks like an extra cabinet to the right of the fridge 

here are the official specs. For some reason it also weighs almost 1000lbs more! I’m not about to trade in my Tab …

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    TheTaB400 is 7’6” wide, si they may be getting the specs mixed up, but as Mandy pointed out, the photos are Photoshopped , so specific details seem up in the air?
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Looks like you called it at the outset... Well played @Geo !

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Good for NuCamp. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    Thanks @CrabTab, all the materials and look of the unit made me think of a 'clone'.
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    Interesting... I will be doing a bit more research on this. I had just about decided on the mini-max but here's another option. I prefer a standard forced air furnace and had crossed off the t@b as it can't sleep anyone longer of stature than Frodo and Sam. Also would be interested in something with a welded, one piece frame. The dw is still making noises about a bathroom and thus far, I've dodged the bullet because of the rv shortage but sooner or later the topic will be back....

WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • jbajorjbajor Member Posts: 134
    I just ordered one...  it is basically a 320 S and CS combo and a foot wider
    Ultimate Toys Teardrop Camper
    Volvo XC-40
    SF Bay Area, California
  • tphaggertytphaggerty Member Posts: 48
    We were just at Sugarcreek and saw 2 of the Woody styles at the sevice center. Looked just like regular tabs but with a different paint job. Didn’t look inside.
    2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL TV
    2018 T@B 400, 300Ah Renogy LiFePo batteries, 350W Renogy rooftop solar
    Poughquag, NY