Options

Lock for exterior storage 2021 Tab400

As much as we LOVE our 2021 Tab400 that is now only a few months old, we’ve been unhappy about the fact that the exterior storage doesn’t lock.  We noticed that the factory has added a lock on the 2022’s so we decided to figure it out.

Here is our m low cost solution. Home Depot sells basic cabinet key locks for about $6.00. It requires some handy skills and a few tools.
Here are the steps:
1- remove 1 latch. You need a Philips screwdriver 
2- carefully enlarge the hole with a rat tail file making top and bottom the round parts. I used the metal ring that came with the lock as a template. I taped it over the hole with the prongs out. The amount of file work is minimal as the hole is 5/8 and the top and bottom need to be 3/4
3- install the lock with the supplied decorative washer and be careful not to over tighten the nut or the plastic may crack
4- use the offset lock bar from the kit as it is almost perfect
5- turn the remaining latch to lock then with the door open and up, use a ruler and using a sharpie, mark the offset bar at the same height as the factory latch
6- shorten the offset bar to the mark I used a belt sander and vice grips
7- assemble and test the lock fit

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Nice mod!  You could also use a large step drill to enlarge the existing hole to the required size.
    cheere
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    SnoblettSnoblett Member Posts: 99
    @Denny16
    we specifically chose not to make a round hole.  The barrel of the lock has flats to prevent it from rotating, so the hole is actually an oval.  It turns out that the existing hole is almost exactly the size required for the flats, so we only filed the top and bottom 
  • Options
    Yes, that makes sense then, didn’t realize yiu needed a D shaped hole.
    cheers
  • Options
    p21usap21usa Member Posts: 13
    I really like this!  my only question is the material and whether it would rust/corrode?  I see that the product is for a cabinet and maybe not weather-friendly. What do you think?
  • Options
    @p21usa
    good point and this is something that we thought about.   I’m not sure if exterior grade locks of this style are available.  Our plan is to lube it with WD40 as a preventative 
  • Options
    No, don’t use WD40 on a lock, get a graphite lube, like Lock Ease to lube the lock.  I use it on all my exterior pad locks and the TaB outside compartment locks, works great.  
    cheers
  • Options
    @Denny16
    Oh!  I will mention that to hubby.  I think we have some of that it n the basement.

We already have some wd40 in the door lock.  It seized on us a couple days after delivery abd we live a long ways from a dealer.  So we used WD40 on the fly at the time.

Is it ok to apply the graphite after WD40 is already in there?
  • Options
    Yes, WD40 is a mixture of diesel fuel and kerosene, it will evaporate out.  WD40 is a cleaning and moisture displacement agent, not a lube.
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    Denny16 said:
    Yes, WD40 is a mixture of diesel fuel and kerosene, it will evaporate out.  WD40 is a cleaning and moisture displacement agent, not a lube.
    Off topic - but it also smells exactly like wasp killer spray.  Same stuff perchance?  I believe WD40 is an effective wasp killer but there's got to be SOME difference right?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Yes, the actual ingredients of WD-40 are a closely guarded secret.  I used the term diesel fuel to best describe its petroleum based hydrocarbon content, many speculated it was some type of diesel fuel.  The name WD-40 is an abbreviation for WD-40" is an abbreviation for the term "Water Displacement, 40th formula" and was developed in the 1950s for Convair General Dynamics to use in the outside skin of the Atlas rockets/missiles skins to prevent corrosion.  It was made available to consumers in 1958.  The formula is locked away in a San Diego vault, so it’s exact formula is speculative at best.

Tom, as for using it to kill Wasps, the hydrocarbons in WD-40 I would think, could kill any small insect in a confined space.  While it is listed as a lubricant, it has very poor long term lubricating proprieties, but does a good job of displacing moisture and preventing corrosion — it’s original purpose.
    cheers

• Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    Denny16 said:
    Yes, the actual ingredients of WD-40 are a closely guarded secret.  I used the term diesel fuel to best describe its petroleum based hydrocarbon content, many speculated it was some type of diesel fuel.  The name WD-40 is an abbreviation for WD-40" is an abbreviation for the term "Water Displacement, 40th formula" and was developed in the 1950s for Convair General Dynamics to use in the outside skin of the Atlas rockets/missiles skins to prevent corrosion.  It was made available to consumers in 1958.  The formula is locked away in a San Diego vault, so it’s exact formula is speculative at best.

Tom, as for using it to kill Wasps, the hydrocarbons in WD-40 I would think, could kill any small insect in a confined space.  While it is listed as a lubricant, it has very poor long term lubricating proprieties, but does a good job of displacing moisture and preventing corrosion — it’s original purpose.
    cheers

Fascinating history - thanks for sharing!  Though I suspect like the Caramilk secret or the Krabby Patty secret formula, it likely exists in more places than just an original copy in a vault - otherwise they wouldn't know how to make it!  They do a dang good job of keeping it secret though..
  • Options
    A quick add to improve this modification.
    we just returned from a 12 day, 2500 mile voyage round trip from NY to KS.  Close to getting home, I noticed the screw keeping the lock in place has loosened from the vibration.

We are going to apply Blue Loctite thread lock to secure it and prevent future rattling loose 
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Snoblett, good catch. More often then not it is after the fastener has loosened and fallen out (of just about everthing) that we notice. The cap off the tube, the lid off the can or the screws that used to hold something together and are now missing. It is a rare gift, or exacting awareness that prevents a mishap. Kudos!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.