Options

Spare Tire

Good afternoon- I love love to hear some thoughts on carrying a spare tire. Is it better to carry your full size spare tire for the Tab 320S Boondock on the front basket or carry it behind on the Yakima rack? I am not sure how the difference will affect towing and the tongue weight. Thanks 

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,598
    If the T@B was empty (at dry weight) the spare on the rear rack might/would slightly reduce the tongue weight while the opposite would happen if the spare was mounted in the front.

Real-world with a T@B loaded for camping I doubt the spare position will have any noticeable effect (unless you can magically ideally balance your camping gear load front-2-rear).

So suspect the real question/issue is spare tire access.  If you ever do need to use the spare how comfortable/capable are you to lower the 45# spare from the rear rack which is at or above shoulder height for most folks - - - while being parked on the side of a busy highway?

I mounted the spare on the Front ;)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    We carry our spare in the rear boot of the minivan.  Just another idea.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    My trailer is a 2018.  The only time the spare has been down from the Yakima rack was when I took it down for practice.  That was 3 years ago.  Mine stays “up there”.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    SilverFox2021SilverFox2021 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for all the help!!!
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited October 2021
    A couple of thoughts on location of the spare @SilverFox2021
    As @MuttonChops mentioned, putting the spare on the Yakima racks could be difficult. My Boondock spare weighs 57lbs. I'm a retired FB coach too and a pretty big human. At my age, holding that tire high enough with outstreched arms to place it on the back of the trailer, while roadside, might be dubious.
    Also, I was told they started putting the spare at the front of the trailer in 2019 to better balance tongue weight for towing.
    Here is a link to some data I collected about tongue weight on our 2019 Boondock...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    I posted my way of solving the spare tire problem earlier and have another good point that I also learned. The spare tire that was on the front of my 320 weighs just a little more than the Honda 22000 gen I replaced it with. Now with several trips behind me I am sure glad I did it. Instead of carrying a heavy spare that I my never need, I carry a generator in its place. You can look up my earlier post which is where I use the T@B tire for a spare on the Jeep for BOTH the Jeep and the T@B only carrying 1 spare and it is on the Jeep where it is easily accessible! They make wheel adapters for most cars. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge