Options

Battle Born Gamechanger 270Ah lithium battery for TAB 320S?

Hello,

I'm expecting my 2022 TAB320S BD "soon" and I'm not at all interested in getting a lead-acid battery for many reasons.
I see that Battle Born now has a "new" 270 Ah Lithium battery and my question is....does it fit in the tub of the BD alongside a 20lbs propane tank?
At around 80 lbs I wouldn't be adding much to the tongue weight vs. a lead-acid battery but I would get a lot of electrical capacity.

Aside from the tub space, I think the only concern is the price.

Has anyone tried this or have any thoughts?

Eric
2022 T@B 320S Boondock
2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Instagram: new.t@bventure

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,702
    What is the group size of the battery?  What is it you need 260 amp hours of power for? 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 207
    edited October 2021
    This is the link. I'm not sure of the group size.
    https://battlebornbatteries.com/product/270ah-12v-lifepo4-deep-cycle-gc3-battery/
    Size is 22.83"x7.09"x13.15"
    Weight is 80.8 lbs

Do I need  this much Ah? probably not but I'd like to know I can boondock for a long time on cloudy days.
    At this point this is purely a theoretical question about lithium battery size in the BD tub.

I guess I don't yet know what my electrical needs will be but I know I have to get at least one battery...why not get the biggest and long lasting one I can fit from the get-go? That way I can forget about it for 10 years...
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    DenverJaguarDenverJaguar Member Posts: 61
    The "why do you need that many amp hours" question is like asking someone why they need a V6 when a 4 cylinder engine tows just fine. The answer is because it's always better to have too much than too little. 

I considered the 270AH battery but ended up going with 2 100AH batteries. I wanted the heated ones; if the 270 was heated, I'd have been really tempted, but the other drawback was weight...I didn't like the idea of trying to lift 80 pounds in one unit out of the passenger wheel well area, which is where my batteries are installed. It's easier lifting 36 pounds at a time. 

For me, 200AH is probably enough, provided I can get at least a day or two of solar energy. But I will always try to place the camper in shade, so I will need a silar suitcase soon. I don't want to be in the "turn the fridge off while driving and at night, don't run the fan much, use solar lanterns instead of the camper lights" crowd. I want to use the camper's full features and not be concerned in the slightest that I will run out of juice for at least 3-4 days. 

My last camping trip (in the shade) I used 26% of the 200AH. 

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited November 2021
    First, let's talk about "how many Ah do I really need"?

I don't think there is such a thing as "too much". As @DenverJaguar said, you can't have too much unless you are exceeding the weight limits of the TV or the camper. 

I have 200 Ah of BB in my 400 BDL, it allows me 3 to 4 days give or take depending on sunshine, position of the camper, shaded campsite, inverter usage, weather, etc. Typically, that gets me through okay as I am able to fully charge in 3 hours or close enough to call it good. 

However, in September I ran into a situation where I was in a campsite for 6 days that did not allow generators. If it was listed on their website, I overlooked it. To further complicate matters, my State of Charge was in the 55% when we arrived. My campsite was mostly shaded, so solar wasn't going to buy me much. It took a lot of extra messing around to survive 6 days without shore power. That may seem like fun to some, but it was merely a severe distraction to the beauty of the area we were in. 

The following week, I met a couple from Arkansas. They had in excess of 1000 Ah of Lithium in their camper and drained them in 2 days. But he was using a microwave etc. all on inverters. He was pissed, next year he will likely have 2000 Ah, LOL. 

Second, will the 270 Ah fit in the tub of a 320? I can't answer that unfortunately but if it does, I wouldn't hesitate.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Does anyone know the size left for battery room beside the 20lbs propane tank in the Boondock  tub?
    Just curious how big it is so that I can figure out what options I have when I pick up my TAB.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 492
    Well, now I know why I watched some guy load up every single one of these batteries at Costco recently, they were selling them for $690, list on the website for $940.  105 Ah.

https://lionenergy.com/products/lion-safari-ut-1300?_pos=11&_sid=4bb4c1b4c&_ss=r

2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    TowheeTowhee Member Posts: 47
    On our 2022 Tab320 BD pretending the box is a rectangle I measured about 18" from tank to driver side, and about 12" wide.  It might be a tiny bit larger as I wanted a conservative measurement
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    @Towhee Thank you! It seems like the battery I highlighted won't be able to fit.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada