Options

Towing Tab 400 with 3 different tow vehicles - lessons learned

Here is a video about my experience with towing tab 400 with 3 different vehicles.  2018 Toyota Tacoma Sports 4x4, 2004 Chevy Tahoe 5.3 engine, 2011 Toyota Sequoia with 5.7 engine.  Hopefully someone will learn from my trial and error.  :-)

https://youtu.be/ZYJuZUIm2C8

Comments

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    A big take away is bigger TV doesn't mean using more fuel while towing, but the experience might be way better. Of course if you drive the bigger TV a lot of solo miles that might come into play.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    I towed our 400 BDL with a 2017 F-150 with a 3.5 Ecoboost for 6k miles this past August and September. I averaged 10.4 while towing at 62 MPH. I finally got the truck in my signature on October 1st (F-250 with a 6.7 PSD). MPG while towing at 62 MPH has been between 15 and 16, I have less than 1500 miles on the new truck.

Needless to say, nearly a 50% improvement in economy while towing and similar economy while not towing. Plus if my wife were to have to drive and tow the camper somewhere, I actually feel comfortable with her driving. 

You can never justify this from the "improved economy while towing" but the added safety and being able to feel comfortable if my wife were to have to tow alone worth it to me.

Plus, the 150 was the first non-diesel vehicle I have had in 20 plus years. Great truck, but not a diesel....

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    Having towed a large pop up trailer years ago with a marginally powered passenger car, I have been very happy with matching our 400 to a half ton truck with a tow package. No weight distribution needed, no sway bars to mess with. Just hook up and go. MPG is around 12 MPG but I know now that other TVs get around the same. And the driving experience on poor roads, in the mountains or in wind is so much better. I feel confident I can get the rig stopped when I need to get stopped, and I can push it on the upgrades if needed. Just less stress overall and the Tundra is quiet and roomy and has a smooth ride when towing. We don't need the truck for any daily use so the mileage there is not a concern for us, as it might be for others. Just our opinion and experience for what it may be worth.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    Great video. I owned my TV before buying my 2018 400 so the choice was easy (“ Run what you brung”).  I echo @qhumberd ‘s sentiments of just hook up and go. I appreciate towing with the comfort of more than adequate capacity regardless of the terrain. My Tundra was not purchased for its’ fuel economy so the fuel expense is just part of the journey. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    We started towing our 2019 Tab 400 BL in mid-2018 with a 2003 Sequoia. Drove cross country to uCamp 2019 and up and down everywhere else. That Sequoia (4.7 V-8 engine, not 4.6 as seen in the video)  had only 240 HP, but it towed fine everywhere. We messed up with coordinating some maintenance on it and eventually blew the tranny at 239k miles. We hadn't towed in 2 months when that happened. We decided to get a 2021 Sequoia to take advantage of the new safety and increased performance available rather than fix the 17 year old model. Gas mileage on the older Sequoia was about 9.5 towing and the new one with 381 HP is about 10.5. Everything feels so much safer and more powerful, certainly with a 50% increase in ponies. We attended uCamp 2021 with the new Sequoia. We have driven under 1000 miles on the Sequoia since returning from Ohio. It's mostly used just for towing or on days when we need a second vehicle locally. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD