Options

Converter function

I’m connected to shore power, but battery monitor showing negative amp drawing down battery charge as I use lights, fans, etc. do I have a converter issue? I understood converter to take the AC from shore power and convert it To DC for lights, etc.
2021 400 BD / 2020  F-150, 3.5L EcoBoost / NE Ohio

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    What are you using for a battery monitor? Does the voltage come back up after you remove the load (lights, fan, etc.)? 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    Boomerb77 said:
    I’m connected to shore power, but battery monitor showing negative amp drawing down battery charge as I use lights, fans, etc. do I have a converter issue? I understood converter to take the AC from shore power and convert it To DC for lights, etc.
    Are you actually getting AC power at the trailer? Are the 110v power outlets and air conditioning working?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    RFraerRFraer Member Posts: 87

The output voltage on my WFCO8955 is 13.2 VDC “float”, 13.6 VDC “absorption”, and 14.4 VDC “bulk” . If your batteries are fully charged I would check the float voltage at the converter. Form what I have learned is that converters go bad when the transformer shorts out, so they either work or don’t.

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    If you are running things in the trailer, and trying to take a battery voltage measurement, it will always (no matter how pricy the monitor) read low. 
    What monitor are  you using? 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Boomerb77Boomerb77 Member Posts: 17
    BMV 712 smart monitor. Yes, I have AC power. 
    2021 400 BD / 2020  F-150, 3.5L EcoBoost / NE Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited July 2022
    The battery powers the DC circuits and the WFCO Converter charges the battery back up.  The 712 monitor show power loads as a negative amp draw.  If you just want the WFCO to power the DC circuits, then turn of the battery switch.  That said, the converter does not Power the Inverter, it is connected directly to the battery.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MooreeMooree Member Posts: 21
    edited July 2022
    MBA power converter was a great option for changing out my old WFCO converter. Very easy install, it delivers 55 amperes topping at 800 watts. It is sufficient for operating different RV devices and fixtures. Lights, auxiliary fans, and other 12-volt appliances will never cease functioning optimally because of this converter.