Options

Thinking of a new life with a T@B.....

ccallisccallis Member Posts: 9
My husband and I retiring in October and looking for a new adventure. We would like to tour National Parks in different areas of the country. We have tent camped for many years and looking to "move up".  I saw an article on the T@B and thought this might work. We would be towing with a 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5. Problem may be that my husband is over 6' but he think he can adjust. Contemplating outside or inside kitchen. Toilet/shower or not. Balancing comfort with weight and safety in towing with a car. Any advise?

Comments

• Options
    Ed & LizaEd & Liza Member Posts: 5

I had always tent camped also, we went on a 3 week national park trip, we ended up setting the tent up the first night and once a week or so later in Yellowstone.

The tab was our solution to the problem of having to set up camp.

We went for the clam shell, no bathroom. at 6' even I can stand up with a slight slouch and If I lay down flat on my back head and feet touch the walls. I don't sleep that way so its not a problem for me.

The only thing we do inside is sleep, change and maybe watch a movie/tv before bed time.

We leave the bed made all the time, if you do the same, would be fairly easy to modify the bed, so you sleep length wise rather than across the trailer, giving you a bit more room to stretch out.

We are so glad we went with the outdoor kitchen, no cooking odors or mess inside and we like to be outside anyway.

If the weather is bad we go out to eat.

The bathroom version didn't work for me, sitting on the toilet, my arms were pinned to the wall.

95% of the time we stay in places that have flush toilets and showers.

Don't know about the appliances that come with the new models but the heat pump fridge and ac/heater are useless for us on our 2013 model.

We pull with a 2006 V6 4runner, haven't had a problem towing it anywhere, Yosemite from the east, twisty parts of 101, all over Utah, hardly notice its there. Very easy to tow, hook up and unhook.

Lots of times we pull into our spot, plug in and get ready for bed. Don't even unhook.

Think of it as a portable camp site with a hard sided tent, with little or no set up.

Overall, we would be a little wiser about a few things but we would do it again.

C/S got it new in 2013 7k miles over 5 weeks give or take
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Inside kitchen and bathroom. My son and I took a full summer long trip cross country with an outside kitchen and without a bathroom/shower (6x10 SS).  While we loved the trip, immediately afterwards we upgraded to the T@DA with an inside kitchen and bath.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Inside and bathroom. Glad I have both. I can cook when it gets dark or when the weather is bad.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We are looking at T@Bs too. My husband is 6'5". The bed in the clamshell models is significantly smaller that that in the models with an inside kitchen. We are planning to get the S model for the convenience of an inside bathroom, although we will use campground facilities (and cook outside) if at all possible. We will place a box or table at the end of the bed (beside the door) to lengthen it a bit so he can stretch out. Definitely go and have a look at some of the models in person before committing. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Oh, and we will tow with my 6 cyl 4wd Highlander. Be sure to check the towing capacity for your car. 
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I retired last summer and have been on the road now for 10 months. I have the Max-S - Indoor kitchen, shower - has worked out well even though the bathroom's a tight fit. Lot's of rainy days this spring so the inside kitchen was nice to have. If it's nice out, I grill outside.

A lot depends on the type of camping you do - Most campgrounds (including Nat Parks) have bathroom facilities of some kind. If you intend to do any boondocking (there's a lot of great spots) the bathroom is almost a necessity.

If you search through the forums there's been quite a few threads about what T@B is right for you and also threads where it has to accommodate someone taller. Seems a lot go for the inside kitchen version as it has a larger interior/bed.
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    Agree with PX and others: inside kitchen + bathroom is a more practical version even if you plan to do most of cooking outdoors. For tall folks (5' 11" and up), U-shaped dinette is the only model with long enough bed for comfortable sleeping. Just our thoughts (hubby is >6'). 
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Just re-reading this thread and figured I'd reemphasize what others have said--just because you have an indoor kitchen doesn't mean you have to cook indoors all of the time.  I prefer to cook over a wood fire regardless of the location of the kitchen (weather permitting).  It's also easy enough to bring along a camp stove or something like the EcoQue grill.  Inside kitchen and bath gives you the most flexibility.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    As longtime tent campers we have everything we need to cook, bake, and grill outside. I suspect ccallis and husband do too! I see the inside kitchen as just a convenience for coffee in the morning, preparing sandwiches for lunch, or heating soup on a rainy day. Not for extensive cooking.
  • Options
    CorbinpiloCorbinpilo Member Posts: 21
    I'm 6'3“ and sleep comfortably on our Max S bed with the indoor kitchen. My head is under the rear cabinets and my feet hang over the forward edge but it's comfortable.  

As others have said we were told the outdoor kitchen reduces the bed size. That's why we ordered an indoor kitchen. 

Chris & Gina 
    2015 T@B S Max Sofitel 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I'm 6'2", DW is 5'8"ish. We have the Maxx S.

We sleep sideways, me more kitty-corner, no complaints from either of us about it.

We cook outside unless absolutely exhausted.

I love having the inside kitchen for a quick cup of coffee in the morning or when on the road. Ditto with the bathroom.

Also, many times while spring camping, we've found that the campground was open, but the bathrooms were locked.

The ability to pull over and sleep 'stealthily' when on the road is nice too, in a rest area, or a truck stop or a Wall Mart.

Otherwise we use the Tab like a quick-setup tent, cook on a campfire, and use the public facilities.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya