Options

Towing with 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4 cylinder with turbo

We are new to RV / camping. Purchased 2022 TAB 320 S Boondock. Our Jeep is 2021 stock. Towing has dropped freeway MPG from 25 or so down to approximately 13. Is this normal for those towing with stock rubicon?  Happy to have found this group. Excited to be part of your family. 

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Although I am not using a Jeep, I would say that the MPG drop is very normal. We had a 2017 F-150 with a 3.5 Ecoboost that was capable of about 20 running solo, but we averaged 10.4 while towing our 2020 400 BDL at 62 MPH.

With the 2021 F-250 diesel, I am getting between 15 and 16 MPG under the same conditions. 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Playa_Bonita_30APlaya_Bonita_30A Member Posts: 22
    Thank you Brad very much - I was expecting a drop but not this significant. At 2,100 lbs, I barely knew the TAB 320 was back there other than the drag on the MPG. 
  • Options
    I was towing a 400 with a 2018 Sahara with the Turbo engine and it towed super great. Never felt it back there even when taking off from stop lights.  I think I was around 15 or 16 mpg. Are you carrying alot of gear in the Jeep and the camper? How many passengers? I was towing solo with minimal gear plus I made a few changes that reduced my tongue weight and overall all trailer weight but I would think you would see better than 13 with a 320. I was also using a weight distribution hitch,  so maybe that helped somehow.   I only kept bare necessities inside the T@b too.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    It was our initial tow from dealer in Jacksonville, FL to our home in Seagrove Beach, FL or approximately 300 miles. TAB was empty with only 320 lbs of body weight between my wife and me. 

I didn’t go with a weight distribution hitch at dealer’s recommendation, but after researching I may need one - what are your thoughts. I can’t find where these help with fuel efficiency, but definitely a nice safety feature. 

I appreciate all the expertise - so thankful to have found this forum. 

Todd

• Options
    edited December 2021
    WDH will not affect fuel economy, if your vehicle sits level with the TAB hooked up don't bother. WDH is used to transfer some of the tongue weight of the trailer forward to the tow vehicle and rearward to the trailer axle. 

They are not recommended by Nu Camp either. 

BTW, congratulations on your new 320!

Brad
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited December 2021
    I really don't think you need a WDH with the 320.  But, there is only one style of bracket you can use with a WDH on a T@b frame. I spoke to Nucamp as did my dealer and we found a bracket type that poses no risk of twisting the c channel frame. I will get the info together and post here soon. Agree with dutch though,  if your rear wheel well doesn't go down more than an inch from where it is without any weight,  then A WDH isn't needed. Measure from ground to center of top if wheel well front and back with and without weight of trailer and see what the difference is. I have a chart I typed up for setting up a WDH. I will find that and post as well soon. 

This is the only type of hanger bracket that NuCamp said will not cause the T@B frames to twist. These brackets are part of a Reese Weight Distribution Hitch. (Reese 58305 Reese Weight Distributing Chain Hangers) You can't use the clamping style brackets that come with the WDH. They will twist and crack your frame.  You have to get these other 'hanger" brackets separate. 

Here is how to determine if your weight distribution hitch is adjusted properly:

WDH Set Up​

1) Level trailer and measure from ground to top of coupler.
    Measurement: _________

2) Measure from ground top of hitch ball on Jeep.
    Measurement: _________

*Top of hitch ball should be ¾” to 1” taller than top of trailer coupler.

3) With Jeep loaded for trip (also account for weight of passengers) but uncoupled from trailer measure distance from ground to top of front wheel well without WDH or any weight on hitch. (use same measurement spot for all measurements)

Front Wheel Well Measurement A: ________

4) Hook up camper to Jeep without WDH arms (full weight on hitch ball). Measure front wheel well again.

Front Wheel Well Measurement B: ________

Total difference between A and B measurement: ________

Half of that difference: _______

5) Hook up WDH.

Front Wheel Well Measurement: ________ (should be within half of the difference between A and B.

Should be at least halfway back to measurement A. Higher than A this means hitch is under adjusted. Lower than A means WDH is over adjusted.

If you can’t get the measurement within the appropriate range (half the difference) then you are unable to tow safely.

• Options
    Tabby and Dutch - thank you so much for taking the time to provide such valuable information 

Being a TAB and RVing virgin I want to make sure I do this correctly from the start 
  • Options
    You are absolutly welcome! I love to help newbies ESPECIALLY a fellow Jeep owner! I just got the new 4xe this past April. 
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    WDH on a 320? Introducing another complication to a camper that’s otherwise simple to hitch and un hitch. 
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Everyone has their "first day" and to be able to help people before they make costly or dangerous mistakes is one of the many things that I can give back.

Glad to help!

Brad

P.S. Everyone has a bad day too, and just need a bit of extra kindness. Where would our country (world) be if people were to show a little kindness and have it a little less "about me". 
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    @TabbyShack how does your new Jeep 4xe tow the TaB?  What mode do you use when towing?  Thinking about getting the Gladiator 4xe when it comes out in 2022/23.  The new 4xe is a nice bit of kit, had the chance to look at the one our local dealer got a few months back.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited December 2021
    It tows beautifully. It actually has the same gas engine as my 2018 Sahara and that towed the 400 very well even without the extra torque and HP in the 4xe. There is no strain felt at any time.  Gears shift normal, temps normal. Easy stopping. The 4xe has 375 HP and 470 torque so quite a bit more get up and go than my straight electric engine.  

I just leave it in hybrid mode and that let's the Jeep decide what is best which is really just a combination of gas and electric. Once the electric is depleted is all gas unless you put it in e-save which will charge the batteries with the gas engine. It also has regenerative braking and that charges batteries too. I love that feature. When not towing I get 32+mpg and it drops to around 27 while towing but of course the farther you tow once electric is depleted the lower that mpg goes. I've yet to see it below 24 I think.   I recharge at camp for the trip home. I'm just waiting for camp grounds to start adding a charge to charge!

I really love my 4xe. It's super cool! 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Thanks TabbyShack, sounds grand.  We have a Volt hybird, which will get us 35-40 miles in all electric mode, which works for us on the NorCas coast, as a average trip to town is 4-6 miles, so most of our local driving is in all electric mode.  

Hoping the Gladiator 4xe, which will have the same drive train as your Wrangler 4xe works out to using all electric mode for local driving.  We have the high watt, 200-amp charger, which keeps the Volt charged in a few hours during low useage/peak hours.  Enjoy your new Wrangler 4xe, and happy trails…
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    You should need WDH for a 320.  Besides, WDH was not recommended by NuCamp with all other years 320s due to  frame design.  You’ll  need to check with NuCamp or your owners manual.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.